That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would | Syracusefan.com

That Uconn loss has aged as well as we thought it would

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Down 10 to South Florida on the road after leading most of the game. That loss is going to haunt us in March. Smh.

UConn can bother a lot of teams with the guards, but really struggling to find solutions with the front court.

Unfortunately, they were able to do what they wanted against us with their bigs, primarily Cobb.

This UConn team might be worse than last year. OH, and last year they didn’t have Gilbert, Sid Wilson, Tarin Smith or Brendan Adams.

This will end up being our worst loss of the year, Ken Pom wise

UConn can bother a lot of teams with the guards, but really struggling to find solutions with the front court.

Unfortunately, they were able to do what they wanted against us with their bigs, primarily Cobb.
UConn hasn’t shot the 3 that good all year combined with career games from Cobb and
Smith. We played like crap but it was the perfect storm of a bad team getting weirdly hot along with 2 of “worse” players having career nights

Key stat: attendance = 3,429. Traveled roughly 1,200 miles for an L... in an arena 33% full... nested in the lugubrious squalor of North Tampa.

How very bleak a vista that conference offers.
How the hell does a school in Tampa call themselves the University of South Florida? I get UCF is gone but call themselves UFT like UAB. University of Floirda-Tampa.

Key stat: attendance = 3,429. Traveled roughly 1,200 miles for an L... in an arena 33% full... nested in the lugubrious squalor of North Tampa.

How very bleak a vista that conference offers.

Indeed, and why every single Syracuse fan should be thanking their lucky stars and kissing the ACC's arse, as that could've been us if not given the lifeline gift of a lifetime.

Indeed, and why every single Syracuse fan should be thanking their lucky stars and kissing the ACC's arse, as that could've been us if not given the lifeline gift of a lifetime.

What a terrible take

We've had a football team for over a 100 years that won a National Title.

We had the most wins in Big East history in basketball and have won the 4th most games in NCAA history.

UConn went to D1 13 years ago in football and have been relevant for 30 years in basketball.
Not even remotely the same.

What a terrible take

We've had a football team for over a 100 years that won a National Title.

We had the most wins in Big East history in basketball and have won the 4th most games in NCAA history.

UConn went to D1 13 years ago in football and have been relevant for 30 years in basketball.
Not even remotely the same.

Irrelevant. Rutgers annually sucked, but they got the invite regardless. You need to strip the bias of Syracuse University and its romanticized stature as fans, alums, etc., and just accept it. It's okay to admit that SU was extremely fortunate to get the generous gift and lifeline from the ACC.

Irrelevant. Rutgers annually sucked, but they got the invite regardless. You need to strip the bias of Syracuse University and its romanticized stature as fans, alums, etc., and just accept it. It's okay to admit that SU was extremely fortunate to get the generous gift and lifeline from the ACC.

Yeah I don't see where you get this from. They were going in 03 until they weren't.

I get what you are saying but the ACC has wanted Syracuse for a while.
In 1991 the ACC offered Syracuse and Florida State membership. Florida State actually declined the SEC and went with the ACC. Syracuse declines because Jake C was loyal.
Then 2003 the ACC wanted Miami, Syracuse and Boston College.
Jake wasn’t going to stop it this time and VA Gov. Marc Warner told UVA to get VPI taken care of.
Syracuse handled the process with class didn’t burn bridges and didn’t wh@re themselves like BC did to get the 12th spot.

Syracuse was always a school the ACC was interested in. We were lucky we got in when we did but Syracuse was always ahead of UConn/Rutgers in the pecking order for expansion. If Syracuse really wanted the Rutgers slot in the Big Ten I think we would have gotten it.

I get what you are saying but the ACC has wanted Syracuse for a while.
In 1991 the ACC offered Syracuse and Florida State membership. Florida State actually declined the SEC and went with the ACC. Syracuse declines because Jake C was loyal.
Then 2003 the ACC wanted Miami, Syracuse and Boston College.
Jake wasn’t going to stop it this time and VA Gov. Marc Warner told UVA to get VPI taken care of.
Syracuse handled the process with class didn’t burn bridges and didn’t wh@re themselves like BC did to get the 12th spot.

Syracuse was always a school the ACC was interested in. We were lucky we got in when we did but Syracuse was always ahead of UConn/Rutgers in the pecking order for expansion. If Syracuse really wanted the Rutgers slot in the Big Ten I think we would have gotten it.

I'm aware of the history, as I followed it intently back in '03 as well.

As much as Syracuse being a "school of interest" has validity, there were no guarantees that SU was going to find a safe & lucrative landing place. Many here were somewhat frantic, and rightfully so, when pondering the "what if" we were left without a musical chair to sit in. It's opportune now for people to relish in UConn's fate being left out, and conveniently acting as if "we got this" all along was inevitable, but it wasn't the case. Fortunately, for SU, and all of us fans, we don't have to live in the current horror of being left without that chair. It's okay to acknowledge that, and to be extremely thankful. That's my main point.

Last edited:
I'm aware of the history, as I followed it intently back in '03 as well.

As much as Syracuse being a "school of interest" has validity, there were no guarantees that SU was going to find a safe & lucrative landing place. Many here were somewhat frantic, and rightfully so, when pondering the "what if" we were left without a musical chair to sit in. It's convenient now for people to relish in UConn's fate being left out, and conveniently acting as if "we got this" all along was inevitable, but it wasn't the case. Fortunately, for SU, and all of us fans, we don't have to live in current horror of being left without that chair to sit in. It's okay to acknowledge that, and be extremely thankful. That's my main point.
UConn was never getting into the ACC.
They burned the bridge by leading the lawsuit in CT led by then CT AG now Senator Richard Blumenthal.
They not only sued the ACC they individually named John Swafford, Rev. Leahy(BC), Donna Shalala(Miami) and other presidents from ACC as defendants.

That burned UConn in the eyes of the ACC. The Big Ten was never going to add UConn. The Big Ten added for population to get more carriers for the BTN.
CT population is less than N.Y./NJ/MD they weren’t getting in the Big Ten.

When Louisville was picked to replace Maryland the ACC could have taken UConn they passed as Clemson/Florida State cashes in their capital and didn’t want another Northeast medicore football school without the history of BC/SU.

UConn is exactly where they deserve. If they wanted in a P5 conference they should have been playing power football a lot earlier than 2002 without the safety net of being given a golden ticket to a BCS league.

Syracuse was on the edge but our history and brand wasn’t getting us left out. Boeheim was the biggest reason we didn’t leave the Big East earlier. I know for a fact in the 90s after that Buzz/Jake C negotiated with the. Big Ten after Penn State joined and the school didn’t go all-in because JB was rumored to go into Jake C’s office and say I don’t want to play god damn conference games in Iowa.

How's that invite looking now? They got the invite because Delaney is a fool and tv sets.

How the hell does a school in Tampa call themselves the University of South Florida? I get UCF is gone but call themselves UFT like UAB. University of Floirda-Tampa.

How the hell does a school in Tampa play in a building named for a Pennsylvania brewery?

Oh well, at least there's beer.

It wasn’t luck. It was the obvious happening. The ACC was fortunate to acquire the crown jewel of the Big East and further strengthen their league and brand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom