The 2

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
For the four games:
Cooney 37% from floor, 28% from 3
Silent G 31 and 17
Patterson 26 and 11
BJ 50 and 40

It isn't even close. I'm not writing anyone off but I would put three of these shooting guards in The 'show me' category. shooting guards have to produce points efficiently. We have championship D. we need more O. This season is going to make me ill as I watch bricklayers bombing away and hear the endless excuse of the jitters or small sample.
BJ is better both as is and as will be, and has the height and agility for D.

For the four games:
Silent G 31 and 17
Patterson 26 and 11
BJ 50 and 40

It isn't even close. I'm not writing anyone off but I would put three of these shooting guards in The 'show me' category. shooting guards have to produce points efficiently. We have championship D. we need more O. This season is going to make me ill as I watch bricklayers bombing away and hear the endless excuse of the jitters or small sample.
we didn't get good shooting from the 2 last year. Don't get worked up just yet. Our 1 will shoot better this year.

I can't see Cooney and G being so bad that you don't have to guard them, which is really what 'Cuse needs, imo. Obviously it's always optimal to have great shooters, but sometimes respectable ones make a world of difference, too, which I think 'Cuse has.

I'd love to see what Cooney's percentages were after his poor start. And are we seriously deciding who is deserving and who should show more by a game in August? August. Think about that.

Our bigs have enough trouble scoring. If we don't have perimeter shooters to keep defenses honest, teams will just pack it in let us chuck. SG is a huge part of that perimeter balance.

This is not a new problem ... last year the BT/MCW tandem was pretty weak from outside (JS usually bailed us out). But I think we have a chance to be more balanced offensively this year. If BJ keeps shooting 35-40%, he'll be our best option at the shooting guard position as long as he can defend opposing guards. It will help that TE is a better shooter (not necessarily scorer) than MCW. And he can also penetrate. So there's lots to be excited about.

MG will be a nice PG back up. At that position, we don't need him to score unless he's wide open. His length at the top of the zone will be an asset (we were spoiled by MCW's quietly competent defense last year).

Meanwhile, TC is in his 3d year in the program ... struggling mightily to be the consistent shooter that we all hope he can be. Whether he continues to start over BJ, or is brought off the bench to be an offensive spark, remains to be seen.

I'm confident that Cooney will shot 37%+ from 3 this season and that will also boost his over all FG% because he can play off the 3pt shot easier. He started o-6 so after that I'd bet he was around 36-40% from deep.

I will say though that I am very high on BJ. He knows he can shoot and shoots like he expects to make it. He could develope enough to deserve the most time at the 2G position. I would not be shocked that when we see the team again in November that BJ has overtaken the oposition as it appears he already has the most natural shot to go with the most upside of that group.

I thought MikeG was going to be a scoring 2G but he looks to be more of a jack of all trades master of none type of guys. I still feel he can be very important as the best of the lot for the back-up PG minutes. He also playes advanced D at both the 2 and the 3.

I refuse to base any opinion on the 2G slot on 4 exhibition games in August. I remember that JSouth had that blockbuster exhibition game one year and then didn't do much at all for a couple of years after that.

Cooney shot 33% from 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooney shot 33% from 3.

I thought I saw 7-21 somewhere when concidering he started 0-6 that means he finished 7-15. It was more than that to me though he shot it confidently after the poor start which is why I feel he will have a good year shooting.

Here are his stats for the 4 games in canada - 28% from downtown.
Cooney 4-4 22.8 36.6 28.0 50.0 1.8 0.3 1.0 0.3 0.0 1.3 9.8

Here are his composite numbers from last year (28/105, or about 27%):
10 COONEY, Trevor 39-0 436 11.2 47-146 . 3 2 2 28-105 . 2 6 7 11-15 . 7 3 3 8 24 32 0.8 33 0 23 19 3 28 133 3.4

Links:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/08/final_syracuse_basketball_stat.html
http://suathletics.syr.edu/documents/2013/4/18/SUStats4.7.13.pdf?id=7614

Those stats are wrong for the Canada games according to the SU site. He was 7-21 from 3. Not that it matters anyways.

2-7
3-4
2-8
0-2
_____
7-21

I'm confident that Cooney will shot 37%+ from 3 this season and that will also boost his over all FG% because he can play off the 3pt shot easier. He started o-6 so after that I'd bet he was around 36-40% from deep.

I will say though that I am very high on BJ. He knows he can shoot and shoots like he expects to make it. He could develope enough to deserve the most time at the 2G position. I would not be shocked that when we see the team again in November that BJ has overtaken the oposition as it appears he already has the most natural shot to go with the most upside of that group.

I thought MikeG was going to be a scoring 2G but he looks to be more of a jack of all trades master of none type of guys. I still feel he can be very important as the best of the lot for the back-up PG minutes. He also playes advanced D at both the 2 and the 3.
Mike g will be the 2 when the season starts.

Look
Here are his stats for the 4 games in canada - 28% from downtown.
Cooney 4-4 22.8 36.6 28.0 50.0 1.8 0.3 1.0 0.3 0.0 1.3 9.8

Here are his composite numbers from last year (28/105, or about 27%):
10 COONEY, Trevor 39-0 436 11.2 47-146 . 3 2 2 28-105 . 2 6 7 11-15 . 7 3 3 8 24 32 0.8 33 0 23 19 3 28 133 3.4

Links:

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/08/final_syracuse_basketball_stat.html
http://suathletics.syr.edu/documents/2013/4/18/SUStats4.7.13.pdf?id=7614
Look up Matt Roe's first year.

Cooney: defense and experience; even if someone else shot better than 33%, they would lose the job on defense alone. Give the guy a break.

I thought I saw 7-21 somewhere when concidering he started 0-6 that means he finished 7-15. It was more than that to me though he shot it confidently after the poor start which is why I feel he will have a good year shooting.
I think you are playing games with the numbers. Even if you believe the 7-21 stat, that's concerning 3pt%. He couldn't have started 0-6 if his first game ended up 2-7. Cooney had one good game out of three. And he finished his last two at 2-10. It's not like he turned some corner.

The 2g looks like a problem this year. No easy answer. Cooney looks to give us a soph Rautins at most, MG doesn't look like a scorer, Buss doesn't appear to have the offensive game, and BJ is just so young.

Cooney is getting the defacto start because he played last year, but I sense the position is wide open. Cooney didn't solidify anything in Canada in my book.

For the four games:
Silent G 31 and 17
Patterson 26 and 11
BJ 50 and 40

The "2" is a guard position. Is BJ a good enough ball-handler to play guard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom