The amazing Mr. Groat | Syracusefan.com

The amazing Mr. Groat

SWC75

Bored Historian
Before the game Matt Park interviewed Dick Groat, who has been the color man for Pittsburgh basketball since the Big East was formed in 1979. He's 83 years young and still going strong. He's kind of that city's version of Coach Mac, the guy who's been there forever, (a longer forever than Mac's) and who ties current fans to the past because he's seen it all.

Yes, his broadcasting career is amazing but that 's not why I'm making this post. Dick Groat is a native of the Pittsburgh area but went to Duke where he was their first great basketball star, setting a then national record in 1952 with 839 points, (a 26.0 average). He scored 48 points on North Carolina, still the most ever scored vs. the Tar Heels. He was national player of the year as a senior.

But even that's not what he's most famous for. He went into baseball, not basketball and became a shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Bill Mazeroski's keystone partner. In 1960 he led the National League with a a .325 average and was named MVP over such contemporaries as Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson and his own teammate, Roberto Clemente, all in their primes. His Pirates beat the Yankees in the World Series on Maz's home run. Four years later Groat was playing shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals and hit .319 to help them to the pennant and another World Series victory over the Yankees.

"Happiness is the Exercise of Vital Powers, Along Lines of Excellence, in a Life Affording Them Scope" - John F. Kennedy, (quoting "The Greeks")

There were a lot of basketball-baseball players in those years because the seasons "fit" together, one beginning as the other was ending:
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/baseball_and_basketball_players.shtml
Gene Conley just missed simultaneously being of championship teams in two different sports. He was on the 1957 baseball champion Milwaukee Braves and joined the Boston Celtics in 1958, just as they began a streak of 8 straight titles. Not on that list were Johnny and Eddie O'Brien, twin brothers where were basketball All-Americans at Seattle in the early 50's and played major league baseball but not in the NBA and Joe Gibbon, who had the same status at the University of Mississippi. All three of them were Groat's teammates on the Pirates at one time or another. The Pirates of the 50's were probably a better basketball team than they were a baseball team until that 1960 championship.

I've thought for a long time that in pursuit of money and glory, we extend college sports seasons too far, causing them to overlap and denying the possibility of today's athletes excelling in more than one sport so they might have alternatives for their professional careers. I think not only should seasons be shorter but they should divided fully into spring and fall sports so that a player might be able to be a serious member of teams in more than one sport.

Last edited:
SWC, I like your posts better than any other here.

Many college players played multiple sports year round when they were in school back then because schedules were much shorter and the different sports didn't overlap. The football season ended by Thanksgiving weekend and the college basketball season didn't start until December during the 1940s and 50s. And there were only a few hoops games scheduled until after New Year's.

Otto Graham was an All-American in football and basketball when was at Northwestern in the mid-40s and future baseball slugger Frank Howard was an All-American in both basketball and baseball at Ohio State in the late-50s. Many college football and basketball stars also competed in track and the best college athletes played sports year round in that era. Syracuse fans know about Jimmy Brown playing football, basketball and lacrosse in college but that was actually norm back in the day.

Those days are gone forever. College sports are multi-billion dollar business today. The major revenue sports keep adding more games to their regular season schedules and there is always talk about expanding the NCAA Tournament basketball field and involving more schools in a football playoff. And how many damned post-season basketball tournaments do we have now?

Some day we may see college fans boasting about every league member getting a bowl bid or every school in the conference being invited to a post-season basketball tournament. But we will never see college sports going back to shorter seasonal schedules. It was great while it lasted.

Many college players played multiple sports year round when they were in school back then because schedules were much shorter and the different sports didn't overlap. The football season ended by Thanksgiving weekend and the college basketball season didn't start until December during the 1940s and 50s. And there were only a few hoops games scheduled until after New Year's.

Otto Graham was an All-American in football and basketball when was at Northwestern in the mid-40s and future baseball slugger Frank Howard was an All-American in both basketball and baseball at Ohio State in the late-50s. Many college football and basketball stars also competed in track and the best college athletes played sports year round in that era. Syracuse fans know about Jimmy Brown playing football, basketball and lacrosse in college but that was actually norm back in the day.

Those days are gone forever. College sports are multi-billion dollar business today. The major revenue sports keep adding more games to their regular season schedules and there is always talk about expanding the NCAA Tournament basketball field and involving more schools in a football playoff. And how many damned post-season basketball tournaments do we have now?

Some day we may see college fans boasting about every league member getting a bowl bid or every school in the conference being invited to a post-season basketball tournament. But we will never see college sports going back to shorter seasonal schedules. It was great while it lasted.

It's a question of what is the priority for the schools: the kids or the money. I think we know the answer to that.

The big problem I have with this post is that I remember Dick Groat!
Me too, the Pirates were my other "favorite" team as a kid, though I remember Groat as a Buc vaguely. My memories are of him a Cardinal and Phillie.
One you left off, that had a somewhat local flavor here, and for Pittsburgh too was Dick Ricketts, from Rochester via Pa, and played for Duquesne, the Cards, and the Rochester Royals

It's a question of what is the priority for the schools: the kids or the money. I think we know the answer to that.
You still have a few players ala Russell Wilson that do the football/baseball thing. Football of all the sports though with Spring Ball, has become the most year-round sport.

Dick Groat's nickname was Dr. Stangeglove (a nod to that movie that came out during his career)- one year he had 29 errors...as a first baseman! (that's a record that still stands).. Conversely, he did hit 66 home runs in the minors one year and wasa terrific hitter in the majors too.

Before the game Matt Park interviewed Dick Groat, who has been the color man for Pittsburgh basketball since the Big East was formed in 1979. He's 83 years young and still going strong. He's kind of that city's version of Coach Mac, the guy who's been there forever, (a longer forever than Mac's) and who ties current fans to the past because he's seen it all.

Dick Groat would be disappointed to know that, according to Wikpedia, he's been dead for 12 years.

Yes, his broadcasting career is amazing but that 's not why I'm making this post. Dick Groat is a native of the Pittsburgh area but went to Duke where he was their first great basketball star, setting a then national record in 1952 with 839 points, (a 26.0 average). He scored 48 points on North Carolina, still the most ever scored vs. the Tar Heels. He was national player of the year as a senior.

But even that's not what he's most famous for. He went into baseball, not basketball and became a shortstop for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Bill Mazeroski's keystone partner. In 1960 he led the National League with a a .325 average and was named MVP over such contemporaries as Willie Mays, Henry Aaron, Ernie Banks, Frank Robinson and his own teammate, Roberto Clemente, all in their primes. His Pirates beat the Yankees in the World Series on Maz's home run. Four years later Groat was playing shortstop for the St. Louis Cardinals and hit .319 to help them to the pennant and another World Series victory over the Yankees.

"Happiness is the Exercise of Vital Powers, Along Lines of Excellence, in a Life Affording Them Scope" - John F. Kennedy, (quoting "The Greeks")

There were a lot of basketball-baseball players in those years because the seasons "fit" together, one beginning as the other was ending:
Gene Conley just missed simultaneously being of championship teams in two different sports. He was on the 1957 baseball champion Milwaukee Braves and joined the Boston Celtics in 1958, just as they began a streak of 8 straight titles. Not on that list were Johnny and Eddie O'Brien, twin brothers where were basketball All-Americans at Seattle in the early 50's and played major league baseball but not in the NBA and Joe Gibbon, who had the same status at the University of Mississippi. All three of them were Groat's teammates on the Pirates at one time or another. The Pirates of the 50's were probably a better basketball team than they were a baseball team until that 1960 championship.

I've thought for a long time that in pursuit of money and glory, we extend college sports seasons too far, causing them to overlap and denying the possibility of today's athletes excelling in more than one sport so they might have alternatives for their professional careers. I think not only should seasons be shorter but they should divided fully into spring and fall sports so that a player might be able to be a serious member of teams in more than one sport.
tremendous post. got me to thinking of SUs likely best all around athlete. my father overlapped w J Brown and was on two SU teams w him. the stories he used to tell about JB in football, lax, track and basketball were just amazing. wish i could have seen it for myself. altho my Dad was beyond thrilled w the National Title, whenever he talked about it you could tell he thought JB was every bit as deserving of the championship as E Davis was. i hope people never forget that J Brown is in both the football and lax HOF. and yes we will sadly never see days like those again in terms of multiple sports

tremendous post. got me to thinking of SUs likely best all around athlete. my father overlapped w J Brown and was on two SU teams w him. the stories he used to tell about JB in football, lax, track and basketball were just amazing. wish i could have seen it for myself. altho my Dad was beyond thrilled w the National Title, whenever he talked about it you could tell he thought JB was every bit as deserving of the championship as E Davis was. i hope people never forget that J Brown is in both the football and lax HOF. and yes we will sadly never see days like those again in terms of multiple sports
and i assume people will never forget what Jim Brown meant to both our current football and especially lax programs

50 years later I still compare today's backs vs Brown. And they all fail the comparison.

Me too, the Pirates were my other "favorite" team as a kid, though I remember Groat as a Buc vaguely. My memories are of him a Cardinal and Phillie.
One you left off, that had a somewhat local flavor here, and for Pittsburgh too was Dick Ricketts, from Rochester via Pa, and played for Duquesne, the Cards, and the Rochester Royals

He's listed on the Baseball Almanac link I provided.

He's listed on the Baseball Almanac link I provided.
I know that now, my "one you left off" should be "Pointing out additionally" :)

The Pirates were my favorite team and the Cardinals were my brother's favorite team so we both had a liking for Mr. Groat.

It's amazing to think that a man who was there to congratulate Bill Mazeroski on his home run in 1960 was in the Dome yesterday, describing the exploits of Tyler Ennis. I wonder if Tyler has any idea who Bill - or Dick are.

50 years later I still compare today's backs vs Brown. And they all fail the comparison.

I last updated this in 2010 but I don't think the numbers have changed any:

NFL's All Time Leading Rushers

Here are the top ten running backs in NFL History as ranked by total yardage and how they break down into the catagories of years played, games played, yardage gained, attempts, touchdowns and the averages. If you wonder who is the NFL's best ever running back, the fog may clear when you look at the averages.

Player Years Games Att Yards TD Yds/Att Yds/Game Att/TD TD/game

E. Smith 15 226 4409 18355 164 4.16 81.2 26.9 0.73

W. Payton 13 190 3838 16726 110 4.36 80.3 35.9 0.58

B. Sanders 10 153 3062 15269 99 4.99 99.8 30.9 0.65

E. Dickerson 11 146 2996 13259 90 4.43 90.8 33.3 0.62

T. Dorsett 12 173 2936 12739 77 4.34 73.6 38.1 0.45

J. Brown 9 118 2329 12312 106 5.29 104.3 22.0 0.90

M. Allen 16 221 3022 12243 123 4.05 55.4 24.6 0.56

F. Harris 13 173 2949 12120 91 4.11 70.1 32.4 0.53

T. Thomas 13 182 2877 12074 65 4.20 66.3 44.3 0.36

J. Riggins 14 175 2916 11352 104 3.89 64.9 28.2 0.59

Late additions

J. Bettis 12 179 3369 13294 82 3.95 74.3 41.1 0.46

C. Martin 10 156 3298 13336 85 4.04 85.5 38.8 0.54

What if they all had 300 carries in a season. Based on their career numbers:

Brown 1586 yards 14 TDs

Sanders 1496 yards 10 TDs

Dickerson 1328 yards 9 TDs

Payton 1307 yards 9 TDs

Dorsett 1302 yards 8 TDs

Thomas 1259 yards 7 TDs

Smith 1249 yards 11 TDs

Harris 1233 yards 9 TDs

Allen 1215 yards 12 TDs

Martin 1213 yards 8 TDs

Bettis 1184 yards 7 TDs

Riggins 1168 yards 11 TDs

Basically, Ruth = Brown = Chamberlain = Gretzy

And don't forget Mr. Vic Hanson, the only player in both the college football and basketball halls of fame:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Hanson

The Pirates were my favorite team and the Cardinals were my brother's favorite team so we both had a liking for Mr. Groat.

It's amazing to think that a man who was there to congratulate Bill Mazeroski on his home run in 1960 was in the Dome yesterday, describing the exploits of Tyler Ennis. I wonder if Tyler has any idea who Bill - or Dick are.
That is amazing. I went to the KC-Buffalo game and Daryle Lamonica was "leading the charge" like 20 ft from me. That was a rush. I love seeing these guys.

I last updated this in 2010 but I don't think the numbers have changed any:

Basically, Ruth = Brown = Chamberlain = Gretzy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vic_Hanson

I agree , that is the biggest thing a player can do, transform the game. All the guys listed above did that.
Babe Ruth would be a left handed DH today, but that means nothing. Baseball was way different before he arrived and it stayed "different".
I will challenge that in hockey Bobby Orr needs to be in there but how do you argue with Gretzky.

Dick Groat's nickname was Dr. Stangeglove (a nod to that movie that came out during his career)- one year he had 29 errors...as a first baseman! (that's a record that still stands).. Conversely, he did hit 66 home runs in the minors one year and wasa terrific hitter in the majors too.
Demote this Guy to the Scout Team Dick Stuart was Dr StrangeGlove..

Without too much doubt, the greatest two-sport pro athlete ever was Bo Jackson. No one had his power and explosiveness. Playing baseball and basketball is difficult enough but baseball and football is quite another. Another not-often-named two-sport pro athlete was Dave DeBusschere, a terrific forward with the great Knicks' teams of 69 - 73 and one of the NBA's 50 all-time greats, and a serviceable pitcher for the White Sox for a couple of years in the early 60s.

Without too much doubt, the greatest two-sport pro athlete ever was Bo Jackson. No one had his power and explosiveness. Playing baseball and basketball is difficult enough but baseball and football is quite another. Another not-often-named two-sport pro athlete was Dave DeBusschere, a terrific forward with the great Knicks' teams of 69 - 73 and one of the NBA's 50 all-time greats, and a serviceable pitcher for the White Sox for a couple of years in the early 60s.
The Knicks started winning when they traded for Dave. Oddly, they got a lot of crap in the press for trading Bellamy. The trade allowed them to move Reed to center and the rest is history. Dave was the missing piece of the puzzle and his winning attitude was invaluable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom