"The Dome roof" | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

"The Dome roof"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awful nice of the Russians to have a vacant lot the size of a football field right next to the reactor to use for construction.

I suppose we could knock down Archbold and Flanagan gyms, Carnegie Library, Bowne Hall, and half of Mount Olympus to make room.
Probably should just raze and rebuild most of campus. This way we wouldn't miss football season, which is obviously way more important.

What would a new stadium cost? 350-500 million? Not to drive this convo that way but with concerns about timeline, seating, construction, etc... why not just break ground as soon as possible and build a new arena?

Answer: $$$. I know. But if it's possible, do it.
Yes, those are the approx. numbers that have been floated. Why not break ground ASAP and build new? Because they don't have that kind of money.

How much capital does Syracuse have built up for this project?

What is the timeframe for the school making a public announcement.

With the stock market exploding I really hope the AD has invested like the endowment fund has.

This project was rumored 3 years and we still haven’t announced anything.

With the ACC TV revenue in the bank till 2037 we should realize we will have the capital.

We need the ideas finalized and just decide which is the best. The research should be done by now.
Hire some lobbyists in Albany see if they can get some money in exchange for something.
Syracuse could give Buffalo a home game for a decade if the state kicks in real money.

Yes, those are the approx. numbers that have been floated. Why not break ground ASAP and build new? Because they don't have that kind of money.

Well why not renovate?

Because they don't have that kind of money

My point is if they can get the money ... New > Reno

We have the money if we use the ACC TV money.
We will get a check between 30 and 35 million a year till 2037.
ESPN contract pays that much and depending on how the ACC does in the NCAA tournament with credits, ACC football does in the CFB playoffs, and whether the Orange Bowl is a playoff bowl determines the exact amount each year.

We have the money if we use the ACC TV money.
We will get a check between 30 and 35 million a year till 2037.
ESPN contract pays that much and depending on how the ACC does in the NCAA tournament with credits, ACC football does in the CFB playoffs, and whether the Orange Bowl is a playoff bowl determines the exact amount each year.
And they spend $70M per year on athletic programs.

And they spend $70M per year on athletic programs.
Basketball and football profits foot those Bills.
This TV money is all windfall.
The athletic department has been in the black. It has paid off all the debt incurred from Dr. Gross spending, the exit fee to the Big East and actually I have heard the AD now has a sizeable rainy day fund.
Dr. Gross did a good job with fundraising and getting us into the ACC.
He spent a lot but with the revenues in now and tighter fiscal management in Wildhack our AD has never been healthier.

It’s not reported because smartly the AD doesn’t want to hurt fundraising.

check out Atlantas new stadium. 2/3 of the way in A lot of stuff before cranes even deal with roof .
Being a card-carrying nerd, I actually watched a documentary (I think it was on the Smithsonian channel) about the construction of this stadium. Not only are there cranes (many) inside the structure, this project had 10x the funding SU's will have and involved an incredibly complex system of opening/closing triangular pieces on the roof.

This discussion is interesting, but above my pay-grade. I have no engineering or construction experience, beyond carpentry. It's possible, I guess, that they could erect some scaffolding inside the Dome rather than a crane. Or they could use the Russian method. It's all going to depend on the public/private funding that's available, the type of roof structure selected and the recommendations of the engineering firm.

All I know for sure is that time's a wasting.

It is something like 500' X 800' spans

It isn't the height it is the span.

They need to start this summer to work the exoskeleton foundations and HVAC, Electrical, and other infrastructure.

To me the easiest thing is to build at South Campus or another location (downtown/inner harbor). The downside is you lose the unique esthetics of being at the Quad.

Personally if they go the remodel route... I'd look at taking down the old law school building and build a grand entrance. Plan that for phase 2

The old law building is now the Falk School. $15m reasons why that won't be taken down...but ideally integrated.

Is there enough space on the quad for a new arena to built on campus next to the Dome? This way they could stay in the dome until the new facility is ready and then convert the Dome space into the new quad.

Either way, the gov has millions to hand out. It's a matter of joanie and walsh getting the job done.

Well why not renovate?

Because they don't have that kind of money

My point is if they can get the money ... New > Reno
This is all speculation, of course, but with the economic impact SU has on the regional economy and the many other public/private projects funded by the State, I see no reason why the Dome (new or reno) would not get substantial public support. If you spread the burden over time (10-20 years, at least), I would think the county would be in for $100M, the state for $125M+ and SU at about the same level. That's $300-$350M. As to SU's portion, they'll fund-raise with big donors, ticket pricing and club/box seating will generate revenue, they'll figure in concessions and advertising money (including Carrier/and or a replacement naming company) and of course additional revenue from the ACC NW. With the overall economic picture improving, SU should get the funding necessary to go whole-hog on this project.

Last edited:
Is there enough space on the quad for a new arena to built on campus next to the Dome? This way they could stay in the dome until the new facility is ready and then convert the Dome space into the new quad.

Either way, the gov has millions to hand out. It's a matter of joanie and walsh getting the job done.

Bring up a satellite photo on Mapquest.

Not nearly enough room.

This is all speculation, of course, but with the economic impact SU has on the regional economy and the many other public/private projects funded by the State, I see no reason why the Dome (new or reno) would not get substantial public support. If you spread the burden over time (10-20 years, at least), I would think the county would be in for $100M, the state for $125M+ and SU at about the same level. That's $300-$350M. As to SU's portion, they'll fund-raise with big donors, ticket pricing and club/box seating will generate revenue, they'll figure in concessions and advertising money (including Carrier/and or a replacement naming company) and of course additional revenue from the ACC NW. With the overall economic picture improving, SU should get the funding necessary to go whole-hog on this project.

Exactly.

If they went new then it is no longer the Dome so Carrier can say goodbye and a new 10-15 year deal for naming rights can come into play. That's a few million every year that we don't currently have.

Exactly.

If they went new then it is no longer the Dome so Carrier can say goodbye and a new 10-15 year deal for naming rights can come into play. That's a few million every year that we don't currently have.
To get rid of the lifetime contract for Carrier all we need to do is knock down a wall and rebuild it.
That would be a “new” stadium.

To get rid of the lifetime contract for Carrier all we need to do is knock down a wall and rebuild it.
That would be a “new” stadium.
Pretty sure the expectation is Cuse will renegotiate with Carrier. They'll get a below market deal but it will have a finite period of time.

Pretty sure the expectation is Cuse will renegotiate with Carrier. They'll get a below market deal but it will have a finite period of time.
No need to renegotiate when we do whatever we do just knock a wall and the contract lapses and SU can negotiate without anyone.
It becomes a new stadium.

No need to renegotiate when we do whatever we do just knock a wall and the contract lapses and SU can negotiate without anyone.
It becomes a new stadium.
As any Lawyer will say...that depends. Most rational entities( SU) do not want to litigate if Carrier (UTC) gets their panties in a wad

As any Lawyer will say...that depends. Most rational entities( SU) do not want to litigate if Carrier (UTC) gets their panties in a wad
Knocking the wall down kills the contract.
The contract is for the current Dome.

If we knock down a wall and rebuild it the stadium isn’t the same structure and thus the contract is extinguished.
They won’t sue as they would likely lose that suit.

Basketball and football profits foot those Bills.
This TV money is all windfall.
The athletic department has been in the black. It has paid off all the debt incurred from Dr. Gross spending, the exit fee to the Big East and actually I have heard the AD now has a sizeable rainy day fund.
Dr. Gross did a good job with fundraising and getting us into the ACC.
He spent a lot but with the revenues in now and tighter fiscal management in Wildhack our AD has never been healthier.

It’s not reported because smartly the AD doesn’t want to hurt fundraising.
People seem not to get this. The ENTIRE AD was properly funded BEFORE the $30M/annum coming from ACC TV.

If we needed $200M to fund a high end Reno, we could issue 30yr (life of building) bonds for all $200M at 5% and have it paid off with $13M/annum payment which could conceivably come right out of the TV money. Any additional revenue generated because of new seating/donations and all other things that winning brings would be bonus.

Oh and by the way, the next time the conference merry go round comes around, we dont end up like Uconn and piss away our chance at 30/40/50M of extra revenue that comes from being in a big boy conference. They call it pay to play for a reason

People seem not to get this. The ENTIRE AD was properly funded BEFORE the $30M/annum coming from ACC TV.
Yes, because contracts never get higher, travel costs never get higher, expenses never get higher, etc...

Not even close to true.

If we needed $200M to fund a high end Reno, we could issue 30yr (life of building) bonds for all $200M at 5% and have it paid off with $13M/annum payment which could conceivably come right out of the TV money. Any additional revenue generated because of new seating/donations and all other things that winning brings would be bonus.

Oh and by the way, the next time the conference merry go round comes around, we dont end up like Uconn and piss away our chance at 30/40/50M of extra revenue that comes from being in a big boy conference. They call it pay to play for a reason
Exactly we could afford it now which is why I am wondering what is going on.

I think we have to be lobbying Albany for state funds and the more money we can get the better the project would entail.

There was a lot more chatter on this subject years ago but it has dried up.

No need why but the administration needs to set a deadline and just make a decision. We obviously are renovating the Dome which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.