The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

The Elephant in the Room: JB's Successor?

Agreed. SUOrangeSU has good info. I don’t think it’s what RF2044 wants to hear

Really?

So you are actually suggesting that AD John Wildhack pressured JB to make an announcement about "the plan?"

Patently false. No amount of equivocation changes that. There was no plan, and ADJW certainly didn't prompt JB to make a public statement about it.

The other stuff in the post I was referring to -- what might happen with players, a recruit, Hop at UW -- was all speculative and presented as such.

But so were the two third-hand assertions -- that an ironclad plan of any sort was in place, and that Wildhack was pushing JB to make any sort of public disclosure about it -- that were the foundation of that post.

Last edited:
The more I think about this, it’s entirely possible that after the December 10 ring of honor ceremony with Pearl, he becomes so emotional that he breaks down crying with his family by his side and announces that “he’s done” and will be retiring immediately. Red will be taking over to coach the rest of the season. To me after watching coach for almost 50 years, this would be his signature way to walk away.

View attachment 222658
I'm flying from Seattle for this game. That would be something

Really?

So you are actually suggesting that AD John Wildhack pressured JB to make an announcement about "the plan?"

Patently false. No amount of equivocation changes that. There was no plan, and ADJW certainly didn't prompt JB to make a public statement about it.

The other stuff in the post I was referring to -- what might happen with players, a recruit, Hop at UW -- was all speculative and presented as such.

But so were the two third-hand assertions -- that an ironclad plan of any sort was in place, and that Wildhack was pushing JB to make any sort of public disclosure about it -- that were the foundation of that post.
Honestly debating the veracity of a post 9 months ago seems trivial. My point was that SUOrangeSU has good info generally (the player information was dead on). The plan information was clearly noted as speculation but it gets at a sore issue for you (internal candidates) so I think you are reacting to that piece as much as anything. Clearly JB was feeling pressure to address the issue and he sort of went down that rabbit hole for some reason. What’s it matter if Julie was the reason or JW or Joyce? The fact is he addressed it because he felt the need to.

And I disagree with those that say there is no plan. There’s certainly an internal hire approach they have along with a pecking order.

Honestly debating the veracity of a post 9 months ago seems trivial. My point was that SUOrangeSU has good info generally (the player information was dead on). The plan information was clearly noted as speculation but it gets at a sore issue for you (internal candidates) so I think you are reacting to that piece as much as anything. Clearly JB was feeling pressure to address the issue and he sort of went down that rabbit hole for some reason. What’s it matter if Julie was the reason or JW or Joyce? The fact is he addressed it because he felt the need to.

And I disagree with those that say there is no plan. There’s certainly an internal hire approach they have along with a pecking order.
While there may have been a plan, largely drafted by JB, I would say the current circumstances would render said plan moot.

But we're not debating sources, and we're not discussing the player information [as I've stated multiple times]. He has a connection that is a connection to someone on the staff [he's disclosed that]. You have good sources, as well. This isn't a pissing contest about sources.

It's a discussion about whether a plan is in place or not. We both know that the AD was completely caught off guard by JB's remarks last year. "He addressed it because he felt the need to" -- okay... but that doesn't correlate with the AD "prompting" him to make a public statement about what happens next.

JB said something in a press conference, because JB says stuff. And then given the seeming significance of what he said, it got dissected -- by the media and by the fanbase -- for interpretive meaning. And given that he used terms like "ironclad plan," that implied stuff, since words mean things, it wasn't a surprise that JB walked it back when pressed after the initial remarks.

Me pointing that out has zero, zip, zilch to do with it being a "sore issue" for me. It is a function of how the last 7 months have unfolded since JB made the remarks, and what hasn't occurred in the interim to back up that any succession plan is actually in place.

As for a pecking order, I'm sure that our AD has plans for a wide range of contingencies. Having an internal pecking order doesn't mean that it defines an eventual succession plan. Those types of contingency plans are in place in case something unexpected happens, like a coach dying or being medically incapacitated.

The fact that we're still waiting months later for the announcement to be made that one of the ACs has been designated to be the HCIW speaks volumes. Coupled with the fact that a recruit who is the son of the top candidate opted to not come to SU, and that JB told Estrella's parents that he planned on sticking around for awhile, that's a lot of supporting evidence indicating that no firm plan of any kind is in place.

What I want to see as the eventual outcome changes none of the preceding paragraph.

And AZ -- you know that I hold you in the highest esteem as a poster, as someone who I exchange information with offline, and as an astute / level headed observer. I actually am sorry / disappointed that we are disagreeing and having words [as it were] about something like this on the forum.

Last edited:
But we're not debating sources, and we're not discussing the player information [as I've stated multiple times]. He has a connection that is a connection to someone on the staff [he's disclosed that]. You have good sources, as well. This isn't a pissing contest about sources.

It's a discussion about whether a plan is in place or not. We both know that the AD was completely caught off guard by JB's remarks last year. "He addressed it because he felt the need to" -- okay... but that doesn't correlate with the AD "prompting" him to make a public statement about what happens next.

JB said something in a press conference, because JB says stuff. And then given the seeming significance of what he said, it got dissected -- by the media and by the fanbase -- for interpretive meaning. And given that he used some terms, like "ironclad plan," that implied stuff, since words mean things, it wasn't a surprise that JB walked it back when pressed after the initial remarks.

Me pointing that out has zero, zip, zilch to do with it being a "sore issue" for me. It is a function of how the last 7 months have unfolded since JB made the remarks.

As for a pecking order, I'm sure that our AD has plans for a wide range of contingencies. Having an internal pecking order doesn't mean that it defines an eventual succession plan. Still waiting months later for the announcement to be made that one of the ACs has been designated the HCIW. It speaks volumes that no such announcement was made, that a son of the top candidate opted to not come to SU, and that JB told Estrella's parents that he planned on sticking around for awhile. All of which is supporting evidence that no firm plan of any kind is in place.
That’s fine. I’m not minimizing your point or position here. There are two things I know for certain: this team is bad and we have nothing in 2023. I don’t believe in coincidence and think both signal this is the end

Wife was tired and went to bed early so I used some free time to try and find every successor thread ever started on the board to see how opinions evolved. Not sure I got them all. I will look more today if I get time.

Some good poster names in those threads that haven't been around in a long long time. Hope everyone is ok.

My thoughts on some of the names being floated around/the actual plan despite having zero connections outside of knowing some of you guys:
  • Boynton - Maybe the most interesting name floating around to me right now in terms of a relatively big name hire that feels potentially realistic. Brooklyn-born, Syracuse might be able to offer a better opportunity than Okie State, etc. My qualms: he went south for college and has lived down there ever since...are we sure he actually would want to come back to NY? And Syracuse isn't exactly Brooklyn either. He'd certainly be a bigger pull than someone like Langel/Valentine, but are we sure he's that great of a coach/recruiter? With the exception of hiring Cade Cunningham's brother for a year to get to Cade, his recruiting classes have been unimpressive, and the Cade team was laughably poorly constructed. And in terms of record and tournament accolades, he's probably the worst coach they've had since Leonard Hamilton back in the 80s.
  • Musselman/Oats/Wright - Easy yes, no need to discuss further, but I'm very skeptical we'd be able to pull them in.
  • Pitino - We could certainly do a lot worse, but no thanks. Don't want someone that old, nor do I want to deal with his baggage.
  • Langel/Valentine - Definitely open-minded about them. What Langel has accomplished at Colgate is extremely impressive. Valentine is pretty unproven but I like the idea of him (and also loved the way his brother played for Michigan State, not that that really means much here).
  • The Syracuse fam - Hart is the obvious choice here IMO if he were to actually be interested. He's the only one that I'm confident would bring something different to Syracuse and I think his connections would probably help us on the recruiting trail more than the others would. I tend to think one of Hop/Red/GMac will end up being the hire. That worries me a lot, but I understand why we'd opt to go that route. Can't help but feel at this point that they won't be able to save this program but I think one of them will be given the chance to.

You have to let JB finish the year. We want the job on the market and the interest level to increase because its a top 10 job that hasn't been open in 50 years.

I think the only lock in the coach successor discussion is that Rick Pitino will NOT be the next Head Coach at Syracuse U. It's patently absurd to think Syracuse would hire a guy who's been in as much trouble as Pitino... and not to mention he's in his 70s.

Holy crap, I am just catching up with this thread.
1) Jay Wright would be incredible.
2)Oats would be incredible.
3)Musselman? What is he, 5'7"?
4)Colgate guy? Because he beat us? That's silly.
5)Everyone else, who the hell knows.

I hope Wildhack has the fortitude to politely let JB know that he has zero say in his successor at this point. If that were important to him, he should have let Hop take over all those years ago.

I think the only lock in the coach successor discussion is that Rick Pitino will NOT be the next Head Coach at Syracuse U. It's patently absurd to think Syracuse would hire a guy who's been in as much trouble as Pitino... and not to mention he's in his 70s.

Agreed. Even before he came to SU in the mid-70s, he got in trouble at Hawaii. One of the all time great coaches, but a serial cheater throughout his career.

Agreed. Even before he came to SU in the mid-70s, he got in trouble at Hawaii. One of the all time great coaches, but a serial cheater throughout his career.
The way the NCAA operates now, Pitino should have stayed at Kentucky. They would have let him cheat all he wanted.

AND - given that Cuse already has "two strikes" from our prior transgressions, we don't need to bring in a walking show-cause violation waiting to happen.

YES - Pitino can coach with anybody, and when he's gotten sufficient support he can also recruit with the best of them.

But the risk of hiring another septuagenarian with a checkered past just ain't worth it.

We need a younger, hungrier guy.

Same here on Boynton. He’d kill it here

What kind of recruiter is Boynton? I will have to do some looking into him as his name has been brought up by multiple different people now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom