The future at QB? | Syracusefan.com

The future at QB?

cusefan12

Walk On
As in next year, will it be Hunt? Or one of the two freshman QB's we brought in this year(Kimble, Wilson) ? Or one of the two QB's we are bringing in this upcoming year ( Long, Edouard)? I mean the WR core that Hunt is working with right now is not the greatest, so would that make a difference next year? I mean our WR core next year will be much better, assuming KJ stays committed, with adding Cooper, possibly Ishmael and our young receivers growing and maturing. We need someone who can get the ball to them, and it doesn't matter who! Will be very interesting. Lets get this W against BC and go bowling. Go Orange

Kimble or Edouard
watching Edouard's arm in his highlight tape was awfully impressive, along with his running. I mean we have a lot of young QB's next year, you have to think one will be the answer!

Hopefully it will be as wide open and it was alst spring. Terrell Hunt is basically a Wally Mahle for the 21st century.

Hunt has more game-time experience than anybody else.
And he's starting to show some minor improvements.
It may be an open competition in 2014 but Hunt isn't going to be easy to unseat.

I don't know the exact numbers but doesn't Eduard have almost a 1:1 TD to Int ratio?

Not to mention no word of him being an early enrollee

That is a concern. But looking at his tape, I gotta believe that with the incoming receiving talent he'll only improve dramatically. He has a gun for an arm already. He's also only TH's level athletically.

Then again he has to get past White and Kimble, assuming he's better than Long which nobody knows yet.

We have a legitimate 5 man QB race. It's almost like nothing happened this year. We've made little to no progress figuring out the QB issue.

I will be mildly surprised and a bit disappointed if we have the same QB starting next season. Nothing against Hunt personally, but if one of the Redshirts or true frosh aren't able to beat him out we could be in serious trouble at QB for the foreseeable future.

I will be mildly surprised and a bit disappointed if we have the same QB starting next season. Nothing against Hunt personally, but if one of the Redshirts or true frosh aren't able to beat him out we could be in serious trouble at QB for the foreseeable future.

It's time Jekelish. We adopt the GTech option.

Imagine this.

Just Imagine.

Think of the weapons we have with the football in their hands (NOT THROWING IT, OR TRYING TO CATCH IT)

2014-2015 season:

TH/Edouard
McFarlane
GMII
Ashton Broyld
Estime
Possible returnee Jerome Smith

Open competition.

Hunt:
PROS--incumbent starter / game experience
CONS--weak arm / limited playmaking capability

Wilson:
PROS--good mechanics / immersed in system for year
CONS--inexperience

Kimble:
PROS--reputed dual threat capability / immersed in system for year
CONS--inexperience

Long:
PROS--will be on hand to participate in spring ball / athleticism
CONS--inexperience

Eduoard:
PROS--highly rated / athleticism
CONS--true frosh?

Will Hunt step up and improve? Does he have upside, or is he maxed out?

What do the two redshirt frosh bring to the table? Will either be able to contend for a starting role?

What will the two "true" frosh bring to the table? Will Long participating in spring practice give him a leg up? Will he or Eduoard prove too good to keep off of the field, or will they both need additional seasoning?

Last edited:
hunt made bad throws on 40% of the passes he made today.. he also made the best deep throws he has made all year..

hunt made bad throws on 40% of the passes he made today.. he also made the best deep throws he has made all year..

5 nice deep balls today. 1 for a TD, 2 drops in the end zone (anything that hits you in the hands is a drop), 1 maybe drop in the end zone but I couldn't tell because the acc network coverage is crappy, and 1 miss because Chris Clark either got held or inexplicably decided to slow down. He also had a nice throw to Clark on the last drive for about 15 yards and a couple if nice ones to wales. Those bubble screens aren't as easy as they look- it's not like you in your backyard knocking back a few saranacs and playing catch. He has to read the defense (today that meant figuring where #97 was, which was usually in our backfield), get the snap, and get the ball out pretty quick. I don't see someone overtaking Terrel next year. And if someone does emerge we should be in good shape.

If the team wants to run the read option, they need a QB more dynamic than Hunt. He's got decent straight line speed, but isn't quick at all. He's mostly been a failure as a read option QB.

If the team wants to run a spread passing game, Hunt cannot be the guy. He's inaccurate, has a terribly slow release and just doesn't seem to have a feel for the position. Maybe that will change with time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I hope the starting QB next year has yet to take a snap for SU.

As in next year, will it be Hunt? Or one of the two freshman QB's we brought in this year(Kimble, Wilson) ? Or one of the two QB's we are bringing in this upcoming year ( Long, Edouard)? I mean the WR core that Hunt is working with right now is not the greatest, so would that make a difference next year? I mean our WR core next year will be much better, assuming KJ stays committed, with adding Cooper, possibly Ishmael and our young receivers growing and maturing. We need someone who can get the ball to them, and it doesn't matter who! Will be very interesting. Lets get this W against BC and go bowling. Go Orange

Tomorrow has been so much more ripe with talent for years now.

And yet, we continue to be baffled when the 18-year olds do not live up to the over hype we put on them.

Agree with the last statement. Get the BC W.

I have been out of the country and hadn't seen SU play in 4 weeks. To my eyes, Hunt looked 500% better today than the last game I saw him play. It looked like his passing has improved a lot. I saw 3 dropped touchdown passes that were amazing throws today in the few minutes of the game I got to see. Not frequently on the football board, so I don't know what the dialog has been here on the kid, but to me he showed big improvement and I'd guess he has a bright future from what I've seen. With the way he seems to be developing, in two years he'll be beast at this level.

many of his misses are because he still waits for someone to look open before he throws, the last throw of the game he needed to throw to cornelius 2 steps sooner put of the break and it was wide open.. thats timing or trust hard to know which is the bigger problem.

you also have to think that we are without our 2 starting WR, the kid who turned out to be our best slot guy, our starting TE, our starting LT and our best 3rd down RB. thats a lot for a team like this to overcome.

If the team wants to run the read option, they need a QB more dynamic than Hunt. He's got decent straight line speed, but isn't quick at all. He's mostly been a failure as a read option QB.

If the team wants to run a spread passing game, Hunt cannot be the guy. He's inaccurate, has a terribly slow release and just doesn't seem to have a feel for the position. Maybe that will change with time.

Basically what I'm trying to say is I hope the starting QB next year has yet to take a snap for SU.

His release is fine. And he was accurate on a few mid-deep throws today. Signs of hope.

many of his misses are because he still waits for someone to look open before he throws, the last throw of the game he needed to throw to cornelius 2 steps sooner put of the break and it was wide open.. thats timing or trust hard to know which is the bigger problem.

you also have to think that we are without our 2 starting WR, the kid who turned out to be our best slot guy, our starting TE, our starting LT and our best 3rd down RB. thats a lot for a team like this to overcome.

Actually 3 starting receivers because we lost Fleming right after the first game.

11, 4, 8 yds on first down called runs yesterday. That's fine. He was huge in the Maryland game running the ball.

Mostly been a failure. Baloney.

They aren't using him enough in that capacity.

11, 4, 8 yds on first down called runs yesterday. That's fine. He was huge in the Maryland game running the ball.

Mostly been a failure. Baloney.

They aren't using him enough in that capacity.

How many 1 or less yards did he have on first down runs?

I want it to be Hunt. There is no McNabb waiting in the wings here. Any of the guys on the roster or coming in would have severe growing pains most likely.

Hunt looks like he is getting better and we all know that he isn't working with the best WRs.

I thought his medium and long passes were solid today. His shorter ones he'll float a little. While not terrible if a WR is running under a ball, it really hinders the ability for the WR to catch in stride and get extra yardage.

Hope we get this next W. Hope Hunt really uses the extra 15 practices to add some tools. Hope we win a bowl game and use it to springboard into a successful season next year.

With all that said, it sure seems like we have a lot of QBs on the roster for a team with an entrenched started going into next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom