There has been some concern by some that | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

There has been some concern by some that

I was suggesting an optimal rotation with the guys we have, rather than descending into a rant about why we lack elite talent.
No rant. Just being realistic.

Is Jesse? Benny? The freshman? Not saying Joe is great at this but when you’re the only one somewhat capable of dribbling and chewing gum at the same time he may be the only option.
Right. And that sums it up. If Joe is the go to guy, we’re in for a long year.

Benny can’t shoot and averaged 2 ppg last year. He needs to increase that to 12 ppg. We pray.

It would be our worst offense in decades.
It’s probably going to be comparable to the Howard, Brissett, Battle team that white knuckled to a sweet 16 with Chukwu and Dolezaj as contributors. A bunch of non shooters and a few black holes.

It’s probably going to be comparable to the Howard, Brissett, Battle team that white knuckled to a sweet 16 with Chukwu and Dolezaj as contributors. A bunch of non shooters and a few black holes.
Maybe on offense, but I don’t see our defense much better than this year. Unless something drastic happens with the roster, I don’t see more than 12-15 wins.

Benny can’t shoot and averaged 2 ppg last year. He needs to increase that to 12 ppg. We pray.

It would be our worst offense in decades.
Every year guys leave. Every year guys step up. Benny is better than he showed this year, he will take a leap. Symir will improve. Joe will be Joe. Jesse should improve. One or two of the freshmen will be playable.

Every year guys leave. Every year guys step up. Benny is better than he showed this year, he will take a leap. Symir will improve. Joe will be Joe. Jesse should improve. One or two of the freshmen will be playable.
Every year this same thing is said and almost every year we regress. Outside of Jesse this team was awful this year, and if you ask the coach he wasn’t pleased with how Jesse played in a majority of his games.

Yes, “everyone” should improve as they get older, but they don’t, especially guys that we seem to be getting lately.

Maybe on offense, but I don’t see our defense much better than this year. Unless something drastic happens with the roster, I don’t see more than 12-15 wins.
I specifically meant on offense. We averaged 66 points sa game which is the lowest in JB’s tenure. The hope is the defense improves I guess.

I would like to get a point guard that can shoot in the portal. I also think we need another forward even if Cole stats because I don’t feel comfortable giving Benny a starting spot, but I’m not sure the coaches feel that way.

Last edited:
I get that. But we still need a scoring combo guard and a scoring forward if Cole doesn’t return.

I’ll be happy if they’re half as good as that team. Battle and Brissett had talent.
Brissett is doing great in the NBA, but all 3 shot sub 40% with Brissett being the worst. And the assist to turnover ratio for all 3 were awful. Combine that with Chukwu and a green Dolezaj and I’m not sure it will get much worse.

Edwards gives us a good base and hopefully Joe builds on his shooting success at the 2 next season.

I specifically meant on offense. We averaged 66 points s game which is the lowest in JB’s tenure. The hope is the defense improves I guess.

I would like to get a point guard that can shoot in the portal. I also think we need another forward even if Cole stats because I don’t feel comfortable giving Benny a starting spot, but I’m not sure the coaches feel that way.
My bad, don’t disagree. I hate discounting FIVE freshman, I’m just not sure how they can contribute. I’m sure JB will have his favorite or two early snd we’ll ride them for 30 minutes a game, but 66 points seems kind of like a lot, even with Cole returning with this roster.

No offense but your eye test is YOUR eye test.
Certainly don't mean this as an insult to anyone including Jake, but I find the term "eye test" to be basically the most utterly useless term in sports dialogue.

I’ll be happy if they’re half as good as that team. Battle and Brissett had talent.

Yeah we don't have anything close to combo of Howard, Battle and Oshae as it stands.

Not one can shoot from beyond 8 feet. It won’t work.
Jessie has touch but has been relegated the low post. Hasn't been given an opportunity to stretch his range. Really same with Benny although he looks uncomfortable shooting now. Frank will be the low post guy because of his athletic ability and rebounding. These guys will develop...not sure of their limits.

Yeah we don't have anything close to combo of Howard, Battle and Oshae as it stands.
I think Swider, Edwards and Girard will combine to be much more efficient. I don’t think the defense will be as good. That’s the only reason that team got to the tournament. The scores of some of those games are frightening.

You think a season worth of stats can be misleading?

Not going to agree on this one.
Of course they can be. Especially when one guy plays few minutes and one guy plays 40.

He at least goes after loose balls like he expects to get them too, and does get a lot of them.

We need more “hustle plays” on both ends of the floor tbh, especially if we’re going to continue to struggle to recruit high end talent.
Yes exactly. This isn’t about how “great” SY is by any means. But Buddy is arguably the worst defensive player I’ve ever seen at SU.

I get that. But we still need a scoring combo guard and a scoring forward if Cole doesn’t return.
If Cole doesn’t return, I think we’re in trouble. Because, personally, I have lost faith in our coaches ability to assess needs and their effort in building a roster. We certainly need another guard. My dream is a lead guard that is tough, has a strong handle and can at least be a threat from deep.

Of course they can be. Especially when one guy plays few minutes and one guy plays 40.
Which is why the ones I posted take that into consideration.

I didn't suggest Buddy was better because he has more steals or something.

I'm suggesting, regardless of what we saw or think we saw happen, when Buddy was on the floor the performance of the team's defense was better than it was when Symir was on the floor.

Are there other factors involved than just Buddy's defense vs Symir defense? Absolutely.

However, IMO, elite level defenders always tend to stick out in these sort of analytical breakdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom