There has been some concern by some that | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

There has been some concern by some that

I'm confused as to why transfer decisions wouldn't already be made by players since the season has been over for almost 3 weeks now. The season exit interviews should already be complete and roster development for next season should be in full swing. Staying on the roster for any period of time, if you know you're gone, provides absolutely no benefit to the player or the team. Cole is much different than Benny or Frank as he may be exploring his overseas marketability and pros and cons of that route and that may take some time.

I say this because there are some high quality mid-major guys looking to move up that have proven skill sets that should make them successful at a P6 level. To my knowledge, we aren't mentioned as a school who has reached out to any of them right now. If we had multiple roster spots projected to be opening, I would think Syracuse would be mentioned with some of the mid/high level transfers as at least a contacting school.

I am hopeful that the no news is a good sign that Benny and Frank stay. As for Cole, he'd be a bonus but understandable if he left.
I think a learning for players from the transfer portal is you need to really make sure you have an upgrade landing spot secured before you announce. I have no doubt players (players handlers) are having multiple discussions about destinations and about potential guaranteed roles. When someone announces they already need to have specifics in mind. Only one chance to do this so you want to be sure.

I want Benny to stay but probably exploring options and his injury likely complicates things.

Frank loves Cuse, but will a power five team offer him a starting spot or the chance to play power forward?

Likewise for us, if we don't land Mintz, would Jimmy offer a starting PG role to anyone out there? We would have to weigh the attractiveness of that available player vs what we already have in Symir.

Cuse!

Mostly due to size (5 guys) and not their individual rankings (mostly meh).

Don’t get me wrong, I like each of these guys, and hope they all end up being better than their rankings.
That would be somewhat miraculous tho.

But, odds are that maybe 1-2 do, the others play to or below their rankings.

And that reality is scary.

We desperately need a scoring F and a stud G from the portal.

I’m not gonna hold my breath tho.
You know how Boeheim do.

Yea part of the reason is quantity. It’s the same formula for everyone. You could grab one guy higher rated than all these guys like we did last year. Which class is better? I’ll take the 5 guys. Your chances of striking gold with one or two is far better than just a one man class like last year.

He’s a California kid in Syracuse

Love Frank but he has a lot of reasons to transfer if he wanted to. I think he likes Syracuse but that doesn’t mean he’d stay. Too many other factors

Frank is from Nigeria.

He spent 2017-18 at Westlake in Atlanta

He spent 2018-19 at Lincoln in Suwanee, GA

He spent 2019-20 at Prolific Prep in Cali.

Hardly makes him a California kid.

You can’t be serious

Hey, we'll see when the season plays out.

I'm very serious, though.

Wait until you see the passes and shots that have no obstructing going up from the opposing guards.

Great thing, though, is that we can see the results happen on the court. I would love to be wrong. But I'm pretty confident I won't be. Hey, last year I got push back, as well.

Frank could easily start at least half the D1 schools.

Our best player plays his position

Neither guy could play much at the 4

We won’t be a good team next year

JB threw him under the bus constantly

He’s a California kid in Syracuse

Love Frank but he has a lot of reasons to transfer if he wanted to. I think he likes Syracuse but that doesn’t mean he’d stay. Too many other factors
Why can't one of them play at the 4? My concern would be foul trouble. But, I think they are both athletic enough to cover the area that a forward needs to cover defensively. At least as well, but let's be honest, better than either Cole or Jimmy did this past year. So, the question is offensively. And, Jesse and Frank would not be shooting threes, and we know how JB values his stretch 4's. I think we could run an effective high/low offense when they are on the court together. Our rebounding and defense would be improved, and hopefully our offense wouldn't suffer too much. If it is a way to get Frank to stay, then we should sell him on it. It could get him an extra 10 minutes. If he is looking at 15 at center and 10 at forward, those are starters minutes at many schools.

Why can't one of them play at the 4? My concern would be foul trouble. But, I think they are both athletic enough to cover the area that a forward needs to cover defensively. At least as well, but let's be honest, better than either Cole or Jimmy did this past year. So, the question is offensively. And, Jesse and Frank would not be shooting threes, and we know how JB values his stretch 4's. I think we could run an effective high/low offense when they are on the court together. Our rebounding and defense would be improved, and hopefully our offense wouldn't suffer too much. If it is a way to get Frank to stay, then we should sell him on it. It could get him an extra 10 minutes. If he is looking at 15 at center and 10 at forward, those are starters minutes at many schools.
Our main players at 1-3 are expected to be Symir, Joe, and (insert freshman here) (assuming Benny is our 4 and is on the bench in this scenario with Frank/Jesse on the floor together). If Jesse doesn’t expand his offensive game, you’re talking about likely 4/5 players being guys that defenses will happily dare to shoot. It has almost zero chance of being a functional offensive lineup.

Our main players at 1-3 are expected to be Symir, Joe, and (insert freshman here) (assuming Benny is our 4 and is on the bench in this scenario with Frank/Jesse on the floor together). If Jesse doesn’t expand his offensive game, you’re talking about likely 4/5 players being guys that defenses will happily dare to shoot. It has almost zero chance of being a functional offensive lineup.
no prob, just win games 40-39

Villanova is in the final 4 playing 6 guys. Bacot rarely comes out. Jesse is so good on both ends of the floor, hard to cut back his PT.
Our current players are not on the level of Nova’s- not last year and not next year either.
You adjust to the team you have, not the other way around. Otherwise you end up force feeding a 2-guard into a PG, a slow-footed one-dimensional player into a 1-on-1 iso back down artist, and a defensively challenged forward into playing center. Any of that sound familiar?

Last edited:
I am counting on Cole coming back. So, Cole and Joe would be out there to spread the floor. Jesse would operate at the high post, where he could shoot the foul line jumper, drive, pass to the low post (Frank) or kick out to one of the shooters. For 5 minutes each half, it would be a nice change of pace.

It was a long time ago, but I seem to remember he had a nice deal, with plenty of perks--free housing, a car, maybe no income tax.
I knew Rosie back then. He wanted to travel, and the thought of choosing Europe over the nba wasn’t as far fetched as it is today.
The league was struggling- this was BEFORE Bird/Magic breathed new life into it. Louie was drafted by the Knicks and took the deal, but when Rosie was offered a Euro League option, he gladly took it- w/ a thought of maybe coming home in a few years. He loved it so much he ended up making a life out there, with no regrets.

Yea part of the reason is quantity. It’s the same formula for everyone. You could grab one guy higher rated than all these guys like we did last year. Which class is better? I’ll take the 5 guys. Your chances of striking gold with one or two is far better than just a one man class like last year.

I'd rather grab 5 highly rated guys. But I'm old fashioned.

Hope it works out with this class, I really do. But college hoops is too fluid. In two years, I bet at least 3 of the 5 have transferred out.

tumblr_nsxsydb8el1rdutw3o1_400.gifv

Inb4 “it’s only because of volume” which is hilarious because it was the opposite argument last year.

Edit: Damn I was too late…

Tell us then how great this class is and will make us a tournament team and top 25 next year. The actual reviews of kids on the recruiting board does not paint a picture of a top 25 class.

Early on there was hope that the growth in the final year for each of these kids would have this class sniffing top 10 but it just never played out that way. Here is to hoping they all surprise but it's just hard to see that based on the film to date.

Hey, we'll see when the season plays out.

I'm very serious, though.

Wait until you see the passes and shots that have no obstructing going up from the opposing guards.

Great thing, though, is that we can see the results happen on the court. I would love to be wrong. But I'm pretty confident I won't be. Hey, last year I got push back, as well.
There’s no way SY is worse defensively than Buddy. We already have proof

I wish JB (If he loses cole) moves frank to a 4. Would be beastly
Lineup for Optimists:

PG: Symir (Copeland ... assuming no Mintz and no grad transfer)
SG: Joe G (Taylor)
SF: Cole Swagger (Bunch)
PF: Benny/Frank (Brown)
C: Jesse/Frank (Carey RS)

Departures: Buddy, Jimmy, Sidibe, JBA, Chaz

Even this 'best-case scenario' for returning players won't strike fear in opposing defenses. We really need Cole to come back to cement his place as a go-to guy on offense. I would add that Benny starting at the 4 (high ceiling) is not a disaster for Frank (if he returns), since he could split time at both the 4 and 5. That would give him plenty of PT and improve front line defense, rebounding and depth.

Last edited:
I don’t know if I was living in a simulation this last season , or you all were living in a simulation.. but in the existence I experienced as a reality , sweating the loss of FA is , well , strange at best. He’s not good.

I don’t know if I was living in a simulation this last season , or you all were living in a simulation.. but in the existence I experienced as a reality , sweating the loss of FA is , well , strange at best. He’s not good.
I think Frank showed a lot of potential this past year. And, what kind of back up center are we going to pull from the portal? Guys in the portal want to start, typically. The ones willing to come off the bench are likely worse than Frank. So, losing Frank would be a loss and a set back.

Our current players are not on the level of Nova’s- not last year and not next year either.
You adjust to the team you have, not the other way around. Otherwise you end up force feeding a 2-guard into a PG, a slow-footed one-dimensional player into a 1-on-1 iso back down artist, and a defensively challenged forward into playing center. Any of that sound familiar?
This is specifically about Jesse Edwards. Frank has made huge progress but could you argue for more PT for him while Jesse sits the bench? And if Frank were to leave for more PT, the guy coming in would be faced with the same scenario, so you won't be getting a high level player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom