There has been some concern by some that | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

There has been some concern by some that

The amount of defensive pressure that is going to be put on Jesse will be insane.

If Sy and Joe are our starting guards, it’s going to be a repeat of how bad the starting guards were this year defensively.

We’re at the point of hoping we land studs thru the portal or praying that our freshman class can have one or two guys play way above their ranking.

Not in a good spot. Hope JB and crew can land dudes through the portal.

Frank
Benny
Cole

If one of the three listed leaves, we’ll be in a bad spot. If two leave, we’re at mission critical. If all of them bounce, we better have a shakeup of the assistant coaches, at least.

If the rumblings being tossed around come true, again all guesses at this point using what dasher was kind enough to share, that sure feels like zero pressure or push from Wildhack on all this.

We would need to be top 20 defensively and top 150 offensively. I don't see it with the possible moves being discussed. Feels like a 13-18 type of team. Maybe .500 as a ceiling.

My sources are telling me that there may be a third son.
Uli6.gif

The amount of defensive pressure that is going to be put on Jesse will be insane.

If Sy and Joe are our starting guards, it’s going to be a repeat of how bad the starting guards were this year defensively.

We’re at the point of hoping we land studs thru the portal or praying that our freshman class can have one or two guys play way above their ranking.

Not in a good spot. Hope JB and crew can land dudes through the portal.

Frank
Benny
Cole

If one of the three listed leaves, we’ll be in a bad spot. If two leave, we’re at mission critical. If all of them bounce, we better have a shakeup of the assistant coaches, at least.
So putting in a better defensive player (sy) is going to result in similarly bad defense from the guards? Common sense would say that is not quite right…

Almost all of the anger and frustration has turned into apathy at this point
Honestly it sucks that next year is going to be a take the lumps season after the last 4 years.

It sucks. I have no confidence we can be anything more than a possible bubble team if everything goes right.
I expect the nonconference schedule to be a lot of Patriot/Ivy/MAAC/NEC teams, to go with that 4 team tournament in NYC which is without a P5 team.

I am an optimist. I think the offense may be ok with Symir running point. I would prefer a portal PG that would allow Symir to come off the bench, because that means, obviously, that he is better than Symir. But, Jesse is a weapon and I think Symir can get him the ball. If we have Cole and Benny, I think Cole will be more consistent now that it would be his team. I think Benny comes back and shows us all who he really is. Joe can score. The bench, who the heck knows. Bottom line, I hope we hit the portal and find 2-3 guys that can challenge for starting spots. If not, then it seems like the coaching staff is mailing it in.
I like Symir but the success of the pick and roll with Jesse near the end of the season was based in part on people believing they had to guard Joe. People will be giving Symir plenty of room next year.

Than buddy? Are you serious? Did you watch any basketball last year lol

Yes, Sy wasn't very good.

We're also taking size off the floor.

We're talking a guy with a -0.1 DBPM that had a fraction of the offensive load that Buddy had who was at 0.0. Sy at least had a decent rebounding % while on the floor, but his steal % was lower than Buddy's was.

In a half court set, opposing teams are going to be able to clear passes and shots over the top of Sy and Joe. Both guys have minimal height and wingspan. Maybe Sy has better lateral movement, but that's about it.

Six in one hand, half a dozen in the other, and we just took a first team All ACC guy off the floor. And, listen, anyone that has seen me post knows how hard I was on Buddy, but it's undeniable that dude could at least get his own shot if the offense was stuck.

We're in big, big trouble.

It’s probably Cole. But maybe Frank. I don’t want to lose either of those guys. Frank has the potential to really develop. And we need a talented and experienced forward like Cole on the roster. He could be a legit star next season. Fingers crossed he rolls it back one more time. Ugh, I got the sense that things were trending in the right direction for Cole to return.
If I'm being honest, I have no idea why Frank would even consider staying here after the way he was treated this year. Especially, being the brunt of JB's press conference criticism.

Mintz isn’t happening, people should brace themselves for a very difficult year with fewer moments to feel good about.

Try for a new coach with SU ties, but it absolutely should not be anyone on the current staff. Recruiting went from top 10, to top 20, to top 40 and now I’m not even sure we’re looking at a top 50 roster.

This is not a result of striking out on kids who chase money at lesser schools. This is low effort, narrow net casting and an inability to adjust to today’s environment. Internal succession hasn’t been earned, not nearly.

Last edited:
Syracuse from 2009-2014: 177-42 (.808) overall 80-28 (.741) conference record 6/6 NCAAT bids Top 4 seed every year Average KenPom rank: 10.7

Syracuse from 2015-2022: 155-111 (.583) overall 74-72 (.507) conference record 4/8 NCAAT bids Never a Top 4 seed Average KenPom rank: 48
This is so depressing to see in black and out, but so obvious to anyone that's been watching this program. Anyone looking objectively could see the signs and trajectory of this program. 2-3 random wins in March does not tarp over what's really happening.

I'm confused as to why transfer decisions wouldn't already be made by players since the season has been over for almost 3 weeks now. The season exit interviews should already be complete and roster development for next season should be in full swing. Staying on the roster for any period of time, if you know you're gone, provides absolutely no benefit to the player or the team. Cole is much different than Benny or Frank as he may be exploring his overseas marketability and pros and cons of that route and that may take some time.

I say this because there are some high quality mid-major guys looking to move up that have proven skill sets that should make them successful at a P6 level. To my knowledge, we aren't mentioned as a school who has reached out to any of them right now. If we had multiple roster spots projected to be opening, I would think Syracuse would be mentioned with some of the mid/high level transfers as at least a contacting school.

I am hopeful that the no news is a good sign that Benny and Frank stay. As for Cole, he'd be a bonus but understandable if he left.

I'm confused as to why transfer decisions wouldn't already be made by players since the season has been over for almost 3 weeks now. The season exit interviews should already be complete and roster development for next season should be in full swing. Staying on the roster for any period of time, if you know you're gone, provides absolutely no benefit to the player or the team. Cole is much different than Benny or Frank as he may be exploring his overseas marketability and pros and cons of that route and that may take some time.

I say this because there are some high quality mid-major guys looking to move up that have proven skill sets that should make them successful at a P6 level. To my knowledge, we aren't mentioned as a school who has reached out to any of them right now. If we had multiple roster spots projected to be opening, I would think Syracuse would be mentioned with some of the mid/high level transfers as at least a contacting school.

I am hopeful that the no news is a good sign that Benny and Frank stay. As for Cole, he'd be a bonus but understandable if he left.

Quincy to test NBA: March 29

Braswell portal: March 29

Kadary portal: March 30

Woody portal: April 6

Quincy portal: April 30

If there were delays on season end reviews, my uninformed guess would be because there was some uncertainty at the AD/HC level that required discussion first. Whatever that may have entailed. Pure spitballing here but I am thinking there were multiple high level discussions occurring and perhaps still are at this point.

Quincy to test NBA: March 29

Braswell portal: March 29

Kadary portal: March 30

Woody portal: April 6

Quincy portal: April 30
The season ended a lot later last year with the sweet sixteen. It was about a week after they lost to Houston, Kadary, and Woody entered the portal. I would think also by now the players would have made up their mind. I'm sure I'm wrong, but surprised no news has been reported on potential transfers, or decisions for next year.

Mintz isn’t happening, people should embrace themselves for a very difficult year with fewer moments to feel good about.

Try for a new coach with SU ties, but it absolutely should not be anyone on the current staff. Recruiting went from top 10, to top 20, to top 40 and now I’m not even sure we’re looking at a top 50 roster.

This is not a result of striking out on kids who chase money at lesser schools. This is low effort, narrow net casting and an inability to adjust to today’s environment. Internal succession hasn’t been earned, not nearly.

This class is rated 23rd.

This class is rated 23rd.

Mostly due to size (5 guys) and not their individual rankings (mostly meh).

Don’t get me wrong, I like each of these guys, and hope they all end up being better than their rankings.
That would be somewhat miraculous tho.

But, odds are that maybe 1-2 do, the others play to or below their rankings.

And that reality is scary.

We desperately need a scoring F and a stud G from the portal.

I’m not gonna hold my breath tho.
You know how Boeheim do.

If I'm being honest, I have no idea why Frank would even consider staying here after the way he was treated this year. Especially, being the brunt of JB's press conference criticism.
Frank could easily start at least half the D1 schools.

Our best player plays his position

Neither guy could play much at the 4

We won’t be a good team next year

JB threw him under the bus constantly

He’s a California kid in Syracuse

Love Frank but he has a lot of reasons to transfer if he wanted to. I think he likes Syracuse but that doesn’t mean he’d stay. Too many other factors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom