U.S. Open | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

U.S. Open

The set I have is the Apex II. Loved those clubs (and played a lot more in those days).

They are sweet money for sure. I still have mine in playable shape I'm just on a MacGregor kick right now.

Very cool.
IMG_3839x2.jpg

Thanks, Here is a shot of the ceramic faces thats what the CF stands for and the 4000 is the temperature at which they attach them to the metal. I swear the faces on these do not wear at all and they spin the ball very nice.

And a very full basement and a garage that you can't get your car in, LMAO!

LOL I'm down to about 8 sets right now because I'm being forced to get rid of 4 sets . . . . if I'm to be allowed a loft and lie machine.

View attachment 3884

Thanks, Here is a shot of the ceramic faces thats what the CF stands for and the 4000 is the temperature at which they attach them to the metal. I swear the faces on these do not wear at all and they spin the ball very nice.

4000 degrees F? Are you sure about that? The transformation range for stainless steel (at which grain nuclei melt) is somewhere between 2200 - 2400 F, as I recall.

LOL I'm down to about 8 sets right now because I'm being forced to get rid of 4 sets . . . . if I'm to be allowed a loft and lie machine.

And how many beer coolers? ;)

I agree as someone watching to see who is relevant in the particular tourney but you have to consider economics in everything and golf like anything needs money coming in. Tiger was great for golf in that way although I will be very happy if he never breaks Jack's mark for majors.
When I look at the current depth of talent in their 20s, 30s and 40s, American and international, it would not surprise me at all if Tiger stays stuck on 14, even if his body holds up. Funny how things can change in this sport. But we've seen iconic players suddenly stop winning majors in their mid-30s before (Watson), so it can happen.

4000 degrees F? Are you sure about that? The transformation range for stainless steel (at which grain nuclei melt) is somewhere between 2200 - 2400 F, as I recall.

"According to MacGregor - the black CF4000 irons were created by spraying powdered ceramic
material onto the face of the club at a high temp (4,000 degrees) - fusing the ceramic with the metal."

I've read this plenty of places and have no real way to know for sure but thats what MacGregor said back in the day and thats what the 4000 supposedly stands for according to them.

When I look at the current depth of talent in their 20s, 30s and 40s, American and international, it would not surprise me at all if Tiger stays stuck on 14, even if his body holds up. Funny how things can change in this sport. But we've seen iconic players suddenly stop winning majors in their mid-30s before (Watson), so it can happen.

No doubt and really its his putting in the majors that has stopped him lately. Same with Watson who is still to this day an amazing ball striker.

No doubt and really its his putting in the majors that has stopped him lately. Same with Watson who is still to this day an amazing ball striker.
It usually is the putting that gets them. Hell, even considering the several poor shots/decisions, it really was his putting on Friday, Saturday and Sunday that cost Phil.

It usually is the putting that gets them. Hell, even considering the several poor shots/decisions, it really was his putting on Friday, Saturday and Sunday that cost Phil.

Agreed all the early lip outs alone on the first 7 holes yesterday would have won it for him if he made them instead. I thought he attacked the pins better than anyone the whole tourney.

Phil lost the tournament because of 2 shots. The tee shot on 13 and the second shot on 15. Thats really it. All he needs to do is make par on those 2 holes (2 holes that are certainly birdie holes especially where he hit his tee shot on 15) and he played them +2. Very poor choice of clubs on 13 and an even worse swing and the shot on 15 he completely quit on and it led to another bogey. He should have played those holes at least even or 1 under and he would have won.

Phil lost the tournament because of 2 shots. The te shot on 13 and the second shot on 15. Thats really it. All he needs to do is make par on those 2 holes (2 holes that are certainly birdie holes especially where he hit his tee shot on 15) and he played them +2. Very poor choice of clubs on 13 and an even worse swing and the shot on 15 he completely quit on and it led to another bogey. He should have played those holes at least even or 1 under and he would have won.

True but we could nit pick all through out the 4 days and say this and that. I would agree that club selection can be mind boggling when you have a caddy and all your clubs/shaft are computer anylized and stuff. I mean there are other factors on the course but day 4 you should be hitting the correct club.

True but we could nit pick all through out the 4 days and say this and that. I would agree that club selection can be mind boggling when you have a caddy and all your clubs/shaft are computer anylized and stuff. I mean there are other factors on the course but day 4 you should be hitting the correct club.

Sometimes Phil (and other players) overthink these situations. I mean I know that you need to really pay attention to the wind (especially on a hole like 12 at Augusta) but they really over analyzed the 13th hole yesterday. It played about 120 tops and was a little gap wedge that you hit 15 feet past the pin and spin it back. Guys were doing it all day and there were probably 5-6 almost aces on the hole. It really was not a difficult decision . Instead he tried to hit a slinger wedge in there and ended up doing what you always do when you take too much club and swing easy...you pull it and hit it too far. Now he is over the green in ankle deep rough and has zero chance at making par.

Guys were doing it all day and there were probably 5-6 almost aces on the hole. It really was not a difficult decision

Yep. At the risk of over simplifying it, that was the point where I was fairly sure it was getting away on him.

Sometimes Phil (and other players) overthink these situations. I mean I know that you need to really pay attention to the wind (especially on a hole like 12 at Augusta) but they really over analyzed the 13th hole yesterday. It played about 120 tops and was a little gap wedge that you hit 15 feet past the pin and spin it back. Guys were doing it all day and there were probably 5-6 almost aces on the hole. It really was not a difficult decision . Instead he tried to hit a slinger wedge in there and ended up doing what you always do when you take too much club and swing easy...you pull it and hit it too far. Now he is over the green in ankle deep rough and has zero chance at making par.

No doubt and I think its easier to hit the more lofted club further than a less lofted club shorter especially with wedges because they are so easy to deloft a tad bit at address and get 5-6 more yards. Heck hit a SW full swing off your back instep and it can be 25 yards further than normal because you turned it into a 40 degree club.

You could hear Bones in the backround telling Phil that he heard it was playing 127. Guess he heard wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

No doubt and I think its easier to hit the more lofted club further than a less lofted club shorter especially with wedges because they are so easy to deloft a tad bit at address and get 5-6 more yards. Heck hit a SW full swing off your back instep and it can be 25 yards further than normal because you turned it into a 40 degree club.

Easy for someone to say if they live & play around there. Try that on a prairie fairway and at the very least you'll dislocate your elbow. And maybe a shoulder. ;)

You could hear Bones in the backround telling Phil that he heard it was playing 127. Guess he heard wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Again here is where players can get too caught up on yardages. It was a 105-125 yard par 3. They knew what club to hit. They attempted some half assed check the wind, lets get an exact yardage and hit the perfect shot crap instead of putting the peg in the ground and hitting GW or SW which was the club all along.

For him to hit a wedge there was such a poor decision and Bones should have been held accountable for that one.

Easy for someone to say if they live & play around there. Try that on a prairie fairway and at the very least you'll dislocate your elbow. And maybe a shoulder. ;)

Well you are still supposed to be pulling through with a straight left arm. You know the old trap shot when your real swing has fallen apart of the wind is blowing at 40MPH and you shouldn't be playing.
I do see your point though.

Phil lost the tournament because of 2 shots. The tee shot on 13 and the second shot on 15. Thats really it. All he needs to do is make par on those 2 holes (2 holes that are certainly birdie holes especially where he hit his tee shot on 15) and he played them +2. Very poor choice of clubs on 13 and an even worse swing and the shot on 15 he completely quit on and it led to another bogey. He should have played those holes at least even or 1 under and he would have won.

You are absolutely right and it is shame because he is 43 and he is running out of time. My wife who once hated golf is now hooked and watches the 4 majors with me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom