UConn hoops back to Big East | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

UConn hoops back to Big East

From the BY:

Yeah, I don't think you have to worry about Syracuse giving Danny Hurley $8M.

I don't think you have to worry about Syracuse giving Danny Hurley $2.

I would be more worried about competing with Villanova or Xavier, or maybe what I was going to bring to the bake sale for which all proceeds go to to the new football uniforms.

The only reason I can imagine that this happened was the movement by B5 conferences for more interconference games. The Big East was left with scheduling fewer quality non-conference opponents, so they decided to expand, or feel the cost of poor scheduling when it came to picking the field for the NCAA tourney. Otherwise, why would a conference of small, urban, private schools choose to admit a state university? I am open to other explanations.

ThIs F0nT i$ Aw5oMe!!!

I had a student years ago who brought in a bunch of magazines so he could cut pictures out for a project. Letters of varying sizes had already been cut out, and I asked why.

"I don't know. My mom got the magazines when she was clearing out my uncles house after he died."

Last edited:
I had a student years ago who brought in a bunch of magazines so he could cut pictures out for a project. Letters of varying sized had already been cut out, and I asked why.

"I don't know. My mom got the magazines when she was clearing out my uncles house after he died."

From the BY:

Yeah, I don't think you have to worry about Syracuse giving Danny Hurley $8M.

I don't think you have to worry about Syracuse giving Danny Hurley $2.

personally, I wouldn't rule him out for a dome usher position, although there is the risk of him roughing up an elderly fan over some trivial issue.

Let's calm down with how 'bad' UConn is. They've beaten SU 2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 5 they've played against each other. The trash talk rings a bit hollow.

Let's calm down with how 'bad' UConn is. They've beaten SU 2 of the last 3 and 3 of the last 5 they've played against each other. The trash talk rings a bit hollow.

This makes no sense. An awful team can win a head to head game. So what. They have had multiple losing seasons while playing in the AAC. They literally could not finish in the top half of that trash heap of a conference. They have not sniffed a post season in years. If that is not awful, not sure what standards you are applying here?

That said do I expect they will get better? Most likely yes. But they have been absolutely horrendous for a while now. That is not a debatable point.

If they hadn't beaten us, or even if we hadn't scheduled them... They would have had 0 quality wins last year.
image.jpg

This makes no sense. An awful team can win a head to head game. So what. They have had multiple losing seasons while playing in the AAC. They literally could not finish in the top half of that trash heap of a conference. They have not sniffed a post season in years. If that is not awful, not sure what standards you are applying here?

That said do I expect they will get better? Most likely yes. But they have been absolutely horrendous for a while now. That is not a debatable point.

They just left basketball purgatory and are getting their recruting grounds back.

Who is standing in their way of becoming the 2nd best NBE team after Nova?

Lot of turnover in that league last year from the year before. But St Johns and Marquette were probably #2 and #3 and both were gutted. The worst team (s) in the league went 7-11. Bottom line is 2nd in the NBE is easier than 2nd in the AACK.

Their fanbase is going to be thrilled if they can get to .500 in the NBE and be in line for an at large and they get to attend the BET at MSG.

I’m not saying they are a better program right now or that beating Syracuse means they’ve been successful. All I’m saying is that criticism from fans of a team/program that they’ve been able to best more than not recently, isn’t the best look.

I’m not saying they are a better program right now or that beating Syracuse means they’ve been successful. All I’m saying is that criticism from fans of a team/program that they’ve been able to best more than not recently, isn’t the best look.

Ugh

Sure but now that conference can claim more recent NCs than before.

Also since Notre Dame has gone B1G for hockey would not be shocked if they join it for hoops once this contract is up. That’s a long way off though. But expect that if they lose too many of the 5 ACC football games they play annually.
Why? They have to play someone. Why pay a massive exit fee to lose to someone outside the ACC for the sake of joining a worse conference when you can lose to ACC teams, avoid the exit fee, and be in a great conference?

MAC already took in Umass football only.

I hate them as much as you but they tick the same boxes Buttgers did to get into the B1G. And are an automatic win. NY/New England market has a lot of people. A lesser conference will take them. Heck they would be smart to push for MWC travel doesn’t matter for football it’s just 4 road games a year they’re not shlepping field hockey to Lubbock like WVU.
To be clear, Rutgers is playing in the B1G because Penn State recruits students, donors, and athletes out of the state, and PSU threatened to walk and join the ACC.

UConn may end up in the MAC and/or receive an invite. But unless the MAC has a key school that recruits New England heavily that’s threatening to walk without UConn’s inclusion in the conference, then the situations are different.

Last edited:
To be clear, Rutgers is playing in the B1G because Penn State recruits students, donors, and athletes out of the state, and PSU threatened to walk and join the ACC.

UConn May end up in the MAC and/or receive an invite. But unless the MAC has a key school that recruits New England heavily that’s threatening to walk without UConn’s inclusion in the conference, then the situations are different.
Unless they can find another team to invite, the MAC probably won't take UConn for football because right now they have two divisions of 6 teams each.

Why? They have to play someone. Why pay a massive exit fee to lose to someone outside the ACC for the sake of joining a worse conference when you can lose to ACC teams, avoid the exit fee, and be in a great conference?

They are in a perfect spot... unless they lose too many ACC games and want more scheduling control. Just saying there is another option for them.

UConn May end up in the MAC and/or receive an invite. But unless the MAC has a key school that recruits New England heavily that’s threatening to walk without UConn’s inclusion in the conference, then the situations are different.

They might have minimal appeal to a lesser conference for TV purposes. That’s hardly like saying they deserve to be a P5. Umass pulled it off for a short period although they were booted from the MAC for not joining in all sports. But that might not even be in their best interests joining CUSA.

Getting some money from SNY for football along with a few buy games a year getting drilled by the likes of Bama on the road could put them in the black. Umass has a deal with one of those random sports channels I get on fios doubt it pays much but I’m sure they’ll find something like that.

They are in a perfect spot... unless they lose too many ACC games and want more scheduling control. Just saying there is another option for them.

They might have minimal appeal to a lesser conference for TV purposes. That’s hardly like saying they deserve to be a P5. Umass pulled it off for a short period although they were booted from the MAC for not joining in all sports. But that might not even be in their best interests joining CUSA.

Getting some money from SNY for football along with a few buy games a year getting drilled by the likes of Bama on the road could put them in the black. Umass has a deal with one of those random sports channels I get on fios doubt it pays much but I’m sure they’ll find something like that.
I’m not sure how much ND could soften their schedule irrespective of the ACC alliance. Whatever they put together has to pass a laugh test.

And I suspect that UConn will ‘continue the tradition of eastern independents,’ or something else that the school PR department cooks up. My guess is that they’re worth more than MACtion, and nobody else will have them. My only point was that their situation and the Rut’s situation aren’t the same. Nobody that particularly cares about playing in CT is hurting for football games in the state.

Also, for the record, markets do not matter to the extent that you’re talking about their direct impact on media value. Fans matter, and creating asset packages that are valuable to consumers (esp. consumers who are willing to buy access to the content and/or junk in commercials) and/or have favorable elastic properties is the alpha-omega of what matters in the world of directlybimpacting media value. That reality is true in the farms of Alabama, the NY suburbs of CT, and everywhere in between.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom