UK fan here - Be objective | Syracusefan.com

UK fan here - Be objective

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyqx83

Walk On
if you had to break down the factors in Noel's decision, what you would say are advantages for SU over UK and vice versa?

One big advantage for both schools in my opinion.

SU- Noel is a North East guy. BIG friends with Syracuse's freshman PG MCW. Relationship, and they both have stated how it would be great to play with each other.

UK- Look at what Cal has done with freshman and getting them tot he league. Also helps that Davis is tearing it up. Easy to pitch.

I honestly think a key factor will be, does he want to stay near home, or go away?

Dude its hard to know.

Either place he goes he will get playing time, have access to world class facilities, play for a top notch coach etc.

It may really come down to the personal relationships that he has built or not built with the respective coaching staffs and players and who really knows who he likes or feels more comfortable with.

One of the biggest differences I can see is that playing at SU in the Big East gives him the opportunity to remain in the NE and play in the NE, while going to Kentucky does not. That said, who knows if he cares...and besides I'm sure you guys will be more than happy to give his extended family jobs, housing and transportation to games so it will almost feel like he is playing near home.

One big advantage for both schools in my opinion.

SU- Noel is a North East guy. BIG friends with Syracuse's freshman PG MCW. Relationship, and they both have stated how it would be great to play with each other.

UK- Look at what Cal has done with freshman and getting them tot he league. Also helps that Davis is tearing it up. Easy to pitch.

I honestly think a key factor will be, does he want to stay near home, or go away?
I agree. It's tough to beat UK's history. The SEC is not a basketball conference which I think would be an advantage for us over every school not named UK. You guys are a different animal. MCW and his relationship with HOP is what we have to compete with. It will be hard to win this one.

Imagine if SU & UK make it to the finals in "Nerlens"? Have Noel sit at halfcourt. Winner gets rights to his services...

...and besides I'm sure you guys will be more than happy to give his extended family jobs, housing and transportation to games so it will almost feel like he is playing near home.

Okay. I should have known I was going to get the same retread sophomoric jokes. Should I interject some pedophile humor?

Here's my breakdown:

Proximity - Syracuse (obviously Syracuse is closer to Boston than Lexington but with SU joining the ACC, NN will no longer be playing any road games close to home except @BC, if that's even a game in his only season in college)

Winning - Kentucky (Cal has been past the sweet-16 five of the past six seasons. Syracuse has been past the Sweet-16 twice in the past 20 years).

Preparation for next level - Kentucky (Cal has had more draft picks in the past 4 years than Boeheim has had in the last 20. Syracuse alums are notoriously bad on defense at the next level and other than Carmelo [who has been proven to be a hindrance to his teams based on how they are performing without him] there aren't any notable SU alums in the NBA).

Exposure - Kentucky (with virtually the same record, the national media will always be more intrigued with UK than SU. With so many elite teammates at UK, so will the scouts).

Playing time - Kentucky (even assuming that Fab Melo goes pro, NN will have 2 others to compete with at his exact position on SU. Even under the ludicrous assumption that Anthony Davis comes back, Noel would still only have 1 other player at his position on UK).

Focus of gameplan - Kentucky (A player with similar attributes as Noel is currently UK's leading in scoring, rebounding, blocks and steals. SU's top-5 leading scorers are guards/wings).

Decisions, Decisions...

Mostly is a fun way to poke at UK fans.

Truthfully, I believe both SU and UK tread quite heavily in the recruiting "gray areas". Anyone who thinks otherwise is a bit naive.

Okay. I should have known I was going to get the same retread sophomoric jokes. Should I interject some pedophile humor?

Here's my breakdown:

Proximity - Syracuse (obviously Syracuse is closer to Boston than Lexington but with SU joining the ACC, NN will no longer be playing any road games close to home except @BC, if that's even a game in his only season in college)

Winning - Kentucky (Cal has been past the sweet-16 five of the past six seasons. Syracuse has been past the Sweet-16 twice in the past 20 years).

Preparation for next level - Kentucky (Cal has had more draft picks in the past 4 years than Boeheim has had in the last 20. Syracuse alums are notoriously bad on defense at the next level and other than Carmelo [who has been proven to be a hindrance to his teams based on how they are performing without him] there aren't any notable SU alums in the NBA).

Exposure - Kentucky (with virtually the same record, the national media will always be more intrigued with UK than SU. With so many elite teammates at UK, so will the scouts).

Playing time - Kentucky (even assuming that Fab Melo goes pro, NN will have 2 others to compete with at his exact position on SU. Even under the ludicrous assumption that Anthony Davis comes back, Noel would still only have 1 other player at his position on UK).

Focus of gameplan - Kentucky (A player with similar attributes as Noel is currently UK's leading in scoring, rebounding, blocks and steals. SU's top-5 leading scorers are guards/wings).

Decisions, Decisions...

Being objective, eh?

Here's my breakdown:

Decisions, Decisions...
wow. quite the UK slant. You come up north, nobody really cares about UK.

Syracuse 33,000 fans, biggest you will ever play in front of.
Syracuse play with one of your best friends.

Here's my breakdown:

Winning - Kentucky (Cal has been past the sweet-16 five of the past six seasons. Syracuse has been past the Sweet-16 twice in the past 20 years). I'll give you this..

Preparation for next level - Kentucky (Cal has had more draft picks in the past 4 years than Boeheim has had in the last 20. Syracuse alums are notoriously bad on defense at the next level and other than Carmelo [who has been proven to be a hindrance to his teams based on how they are performing without him] there aren't any notable SU alums in the NBA). Hate to disagree with you here, but all Cal has done is recruit more NBA ready talent. Lets not get it twisted. JCal is not John Wooden.

Its laughable to think Cal is able to impart his "wisdom" onto these players in their 8 months together. He recruits 5 star (one year) talent and lets them run for a year. Wash...rinse...repeat

Exposure - Kentucky (with virtually the same record, the national media will always be more intrigued with UK than SU. With so many elite teammates at UK, so will the scouts). I'll give you history. But exposure, no. The SEC is a cupcake BBall conference. Geez, remember all those great UK memories in the SEC tournaments? Yeah, neither do I. In terms of national exposure, SU wins this.

Playing time - Kentucky (even assuming that Fab Melo goes pro, NN will have 2 others to compete with at his exact position on SU. Even under the ludicrous assumption that Anthony Davis comes back, Noel would still only have 1 other player at his position on UK). Sorry bud, this is a push. Noel is starting day one for either school.

Decisions, Decisions...

I'll give you one last thing. If (by chance) he chooses to stay 2 years, Noel has the chance to win a Big East championship along with an ACC championship.

If Noel comes here he will play his 1 year in the Big East so much for your theory on the 1 road game.

Here is my breakdown
Proximity, our advantage. His friends and family can come see him play on a regualr basis.
League. whether we are in the ACC or the Big East we are in a basketball conference. Not one that just kills time between football seasons.
We are on a roll. we were #1 ranked at the end of the regular season just two years ago and will be very close to that this year.
A chance to play with a close friend in MCW.
While the facilities at KU are great, they don't compare to the Melo center, which is in a league of it's own.
We take a back seat to no one on exposure. Most of the national media, went to Syracuse.
The knowledge that the head coach that recruited you will be the same guy when you step foot on campus. JB has been here for 50 years.
Coach Cal has left two programs in the dead of night. Can't do much better than KU for a college job but Cal has left two programs, in trouble, to move on. If the Knicks call, will Cal answer the phone?

We are SU. You're not.

All kidding aside, there are advantages to both schools. It is going to come down to factors that only Nerlens can establish the value of. He is going to be highly successful no matter which school he goes to and he will be in the NBA after 1 short season. With the other high profile recruits that KU gets he will be a shining star among several. At SU he would be THE shining star.

Do people really think the only reason Noel could possibly pick UK over Su is because of money or are we just having fun at the UK fan's expense?

Any kid who doesn't go to SU is clearly being paid off by the other program. I thought this was just known...

Syracuse 33,000 fans, biggest you will ever play in front of.
Syracuse play with one of your best friends.

Well... occasionally. You realize that UK averages more fans per home game than SU, right? Plus UK's games in the SECT will draw more fans than any SU game.

CrazyQX83

Please answer objectively. Is the SEC a soft basketball conference? Do you wish UK played in a league more befitting its stature as a basketball power?

The reason I say this is because many of your league wins this year are cupcake "half-throttle" wins against powerhouses like Ole Miss.

I'll be honest and say the Big East stinks this year...but that we are traditionally a powerhouse conference.

Here is my breakdown

While the facilities at KU are great, they don't compare to the Melo center, which is in a league of it's own.

I guess you're not familiar with UK's Craft Center and brand new basketball dormitory, which is scheduled to be finished at the end of this spring. Just in time for Noel to move in and have a room that has never been lived in before.

Well... occasionally. You realize that UK averages more fans per home game than SU, right? Plus UK's games in the SECT will draw more fans than any SU game.
why would anybody attend the SEC tournament? Come to the SEC where basketball is second or third best.

I forgot, objectively speaking, having LF on hand may be a former recruting advantage that we no longer have. You'd have to ask Melo if it made a difference in his recruitment?

Here's my breakdown:

Proximity - Syracuse (obviously Syracuse is closer to Boston than Lexington but with SU joining the ACC, NN will no longer be playing any road games close to home except @BC, if that's even a game in his only season in college). Unless you're talking about Noel wondering whether he'll be able to make some games after he leaves, this will have no impact. It is highly improbable that we play anywhere but the Big East next year. We also make a concerted effort to play one or more OOC games a year in MSG.

Winning - Kentucky (Cal has been past the sweet-16 five of the past six seasons. Syracuse has been past the Sweet-16 twice in the past 20 years). True - but JB has a National Title...Cal has never been able to cash in his talent advantage.

Preparation for next level - Kentucky (Cal has had more draft picks in the past 4 years than Boeheim has had in the last 20. Syracuse alums are notoriously bad on defense at the next level and other than Carmelo [who has been proven to be a hindrance to his teams based on how they are performing without him] there aren't any notable SU alums in the NBA). It is an interesting question whether this is a programmatic thing ie. playing in SU's system hinders your development and NBA potential, or is it the quality and type of recruits the two programs get. In any case Noel is going to be a top draft pick in the 2013 draft, and isn't likely to be at either school long enough to be "enlightened" or "damaged" in terms of an ultimate impact on this NBA career.

Exposure - Kentucky (with virtually the same record, the national media will always be more intrigued with UK than SU. With so many elite teammates at UK, so will the scouts). Exposure has never been a problem for SU. We are NY's team and own the media capitol of the World.

Playing time - Kentucky (even assuming that Fab Melo goes pro, NN will have 2 others to compete with at his exact position on SU. Even under the ludicrous assumption that Anthony Davis comes back, Noel would still only have 1 other player at his position on UK). Playing time won't be an issue at either school and I doubt Noel is wondering whether he can win PT at either school.

Focus of gameplan - Kentucky (A player with similar attributes as Noel is currently UK's leading in scoring, rebounding, blocks and steals. SU's top-5 leading scorers are guards/wings). Hmmm, why would this play into his decision making? Both teams are playing to the strengths of the players they have on hand.

Decisions, Decisions...

Do people really think the only reason Noel could possibly pick UK over Su is because of money or are we just having fun at the UK fan's expense?

If you can't tweak a UK fan when he comes by for a visit what is the point of allowing them to post here?

CrazyQX83

Please answer objectively. Is the SEC a soft basketball conference? Do you wish UK played in a league more befitting its stature as a basketball power?

The reason I say this is because many of your league wins this year are cupcake "half-throttle" wins against powerhouses like Ole Miss.

I'll be honest and say the Big East stinks this year...but that we are traditionally a powerhouse conference.

Hasn't prevented us from winning 7 national championships, whereas your 19 team league only has 10 combined.

We also play a premier OOC schedule with nationally televised games against teams like UNC, Louisville, Kansas, UConn and a resurgent Indiana on an annual basis. Syracuse has had only a handful of compelling pre-January games the past 4 years and 3 of those (including the only one this season) has been against an SEC team...

Hasn't prevented us from winning 7 national championships, whereas your 19 team league only has 10 combined.

We also play a premier OOC schedule with nationally televised games against teams like UNC, Louisville, Kansas, UConn and a resurgent Indiana on an annual basis. Syracuse has had only a handful of compelling pre-January games the past 4 years and 3 of those (including the only one this season) has been against an SEC team...

That's because we tend to play our premier games in conference...in February & March, not December

Exposure has never been a problem for SU. We are NY's team and own the media capitol of the World.

with all due respect, this is false. NYC follows UConn, St. John's and even Rutgers, Duke and Notre Dame more than they follow SU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom