US Open | Syracusefan.com

US Open

jordoo

Living Legend
Butch Harmon has turned Fowler into a driving machine. Wide fairways with penalizing rough but Ricky was spot on off the tee.

Is Harmon the best coach ever?

I guess no one is watching this thing. It seems like scoring was much better for those who were out early yesterday. I see some guys making hay out early today but nothing substantial. It will be interesting to see how things go in the afternoon.

Can't wait to head home early to watch this afternoon. How's the coverage on Fox/FS1 so far? It was absolute garbage in '15 and barely tolerable last year.

Harmon's a great coach no doubt. Told Ricky and others to shorten their drivers to improve their accuracy, and it's definitely paying off.

Can't wait to head home early to watch this afternoon. How's the coverage on Fox/FS1 so far? It was absolute garbage in '15 and barely tolerable last year.

Harmon's a great coach no doubt. Told Ricky and others to shorten their drivers to improve their accuracy, and it's definitely paying off.

I'm sure the coverage will blow. I'm working but recorded it. Been following off and on online at work.

I guess no one is watching this thing. It seems like scoring was much better for those who were out early yesterday. I see some guys making hay out early today but nothing substantial. It will be interesting to see how things go in the afternoon.
hate to say it, but guilty as charged.

the US Open is my favorite one too, but with no Phil I didn't have the urgency to put it on and when I got home, I was totally locked in on thinking I had a free night till 9 or 930...ie: whenever the Yankee Pregame started.

Phil's been my guy for so long, its just weird to not have him there. Thursday an Friday always drew me in and regardless of where he was (I know, usually 2nd) id be hooked.

What in hell is going on in golf, and with Brooks Koepka in particular? Apparently, even on some of the 520+ yard par fours, he still hasn't hit anything longer than a seven iron on his approach shots. They breathe a different kind of air up there than the rest of us, to be certain.

And since Stricker obviously was never really in it, I'm pulling for Snedeker. And I'm okay with Fowler and Hoffman, too. :)

Last edited:
Hey jordoo, is there still a PGA or USGA rule on maximum ball speed?

Last edited:
Phil could have won this one, greens are playing easy for an Open.

Phil hasn't won in almost four years. I don't dislike him, but you have to see that the young lions are moving past him.
Phil is going to win next years Open, throw his clubs into the Atlantic...and be carried back to NYC stopping in every bar along the way.

Sergio won at Augusta, so I thought it was a year for the older guys to to get over the hump.

This isn't looking like the most difficult test in golf. Sad for the Open to stoop so low.

This Fleetwood guy is good. I'd never heard of him until this week. Good leaderboard but could be better.

Phil is going to win next years Open, throw his clubs into the Atlantic...and be carried back to NYC stopping in every bar along the way.

Ha! I'll meet you at one. Just name it.

This isn't looking like the most difficult test in golf. Sad for the Open to stoop so low.

Hey, I know we disagree on things political, but I'm really pleased with this year's US Open after years of seeing the idiotic USGA's absurdly tight fairways, bitterly punitive rough, and greased lightning greens. And making the best players hit iron after iron off the tees. It was neither interesting nor fun watching one player somehow ultimately outlast the others in painstakingly slow play. This year is an inherently tough course set up so the players who hit good shots can score. It's at worst fair. And it's a treat to see seven players within a stroke of the lead late Saturday. I can't wait for tomorrow. :)

Because of the soft conditions and the lack of wind, the course is defenseless. Meaning I don't think we'll identify the world's greatest golfer this week. Kinda disappointing.

But not as disappointing as Congressional was a few years back. That was not an Open course.

Last edited:
Like every other tournament, it only ever identifies the world's greatest golfer that week. :)

Except...I don't think that a lot of these guys would be in contention if conditions were more challenging. They could all be contenders in the John Deere Classic, however.

I enjoy it when the US Open course is so difficult that it makes the best players in the world come unglued, and to be even par is a huge accomplishment. It is like what a good golfer works for with their own game on their home course.

Except...I don't think that a lot of these guys would be in contention if conditions were more challenging. They could all be contenders in the John Deere Classic, however.

Good point. However the conditions - like an inch of rain last night there - are something over which nobody has any control (which I also know you know). I'm just enjoying the horse race. :)

Good point. However the conditions - like an inch of rain last night there - are something over which nobody has any control (which I also know you know). I'm just enjoying the horse race. :)
Would love to see Harman hold on and win. Course looks like it'd be a blast for amateurs and pros alike.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom