US Open | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

US Open

At least we didn't have to listen to Gary McCord. :blah::blah::blah::blah:

I like McCord only for pissing off the rich old cranks at the Masters. :cool:

You don't like McCord? I think he's hilarious.

So does he. He's like the guy who thinks he's the life of the party but he's the only one who thinks so. It's just an unending stream of consciousness line of patter about nothing. He thinks he's the show, not the golf.

I've never even cracked a smile at anything he's said, much less laughed. I contrast him to Feherty, who knows what the soul of wit is.

Koepka looks real good right now.

Also is there anything more annoying than people screaming get in the hole?

McCord has his moments, but he invariably tries a little too hard to be funny with everything he says.
McCord has been banned from Augusta and from calling the Masters for this.
The golf club didn't think he was serious enough.

McCord has been banned from Augusta and from calling the Masters for this.
The golf club didn't think he was serious enough.

Well, the two lines that got him in trouble there were "Body bags lined up behind the 17th green," and "The greens are so fast they were bikini waxed."

So does he. He's like the guy who thinks he's the life of the party but he's the only one who thinks so. It's just an unending stream of consciousness line of patter about nothing. He thinks he's the show, not the golf.

I've never even cracked a smile at anything he's said, much less laughed. I contrast him to Feherty, who knows what the soul of wit is.

I'll agree that Feherty is better but I still like McCord too.

Well Brooks made that look easy! Playing that huge fade that carries past where most guys shots roll out is a major advantage but he was better on and around the greens that I thought. He played more consistently throughout four rounds than anyone else.

You could see that if that course was windier and dryer all week that it would have been much tougher.

Ricky has yet to do well Sunday in a major that I can remember.

Well Brooks made that look easy! Playing that huge fade that carries past where most guys shots roll out is a major advantage but he was better on and around the greens that I thought. He played the more consistently throughout four rounds than anyone else.

You could see that if that course was windier and dryer all week that it would have been much tougher.

Ricky has yet to do well Sunday in a major that I can remember.

I'm starting to think Fowler will be like Sergio and take forever to win a first major but he'll finally get one. He's still young though so plenty of time.

I'm starting to think Fowler will be like Sergio and take forever to win a first major but he'll finally get one. He's still young though so plenty of time.
He is on the leaderboard in seemingly every major. It's a shame that people focus on winning one rather than lauding him for his consistency.

He is on the leaderboard in seemingly every major. It's a shame that people focus on winning one rather than lauding him for his consistency.

I think its more that he consistently falls back late Sunday afternoon in majors. Statistically he right near the top in total driving and he's an excellent putter. He just doesn't put it together on Sunday's in majors. To me that's a legit point of discussion. Its not a knock on his game its saying he is good enough to win a major and should sooner than later.

I think its more that he consistently falls back late Sunday afternoon in majors. Statistically he right near the top in total driving and he's an excellent putter. He just doesn't put it together on Sunday's in majors. To me that's a legit point of discussion. Its not a knock on his game its saying he is good enough to win a major and should sooner than later.
Sure, I also believe people put too much weight into Sunday performances. If a golfer is going to have a bad round, perceptually he is better off having it early in the week. If it happens on Sunday, he'll be a "choker." Sometimes you can't control when you're bad round is going to come.

Sure, I also believe people put too much weight into Sunday performances. If a golfer is going to have a bad round, perceptually he is better off having it early in the week. If it happens on Sunday, he'll be a "choker." Sometimes you can't control when you're bad round is going to come.

I wouldn't say he's a choker. Its not like he is falling off the face of the earth on Sunday's in majors. He's just not playing his best golf. Its a pattern and after a while that adds pressure until you break through. If you want to win majors you are going to have to play really good rounds on Sunday's.

I wouldn't say he's a choker. Its not like he is falling off the face of the earth on Sunday's in majors. He's just not playing his best golf. Its a pattern and after a while that adds pressure until you break through. If you want to win majors you are going to have to play really good rounds on Sunday's.
Yep, I'll just suggest that Fowler's lack of "good rounds" on Sundays has more to do with the randomness of existence than flaws in his mental make-up.

I think it was Tim Rosaforte on The Golf Channel who said, "Fowler is not a great player, he's a pretty good player among a lot of pretty good players." The problem, in the wake of the colorful splash that was his arrival on the scene, is the expectations placed upon him by the sports media, who are desperately searching for the next Tiger. And they want an American in that role now. Fowler's what, 28 yrs old? Consider Payne Stewart was 32 when he won his first major, Tom Kite was 43, Corey Pavin 38, and Jim Furyk 33 when they won their only majors.

I like Rickie but don't like the networks focusing on him. All those guys had never won a major and it was going to be cool now matter who won it.

Last edited:
Fox drove me crazy BTW. They love to show golfers standing around discussing things with their caddies or wasting time while they wait for the group ahead of them to clear. Their shot shown per minute of coverage has to be the lowest of any other network that does golf. I don't want to watch Ricky Fowler wait on a tee because the guy in front of him is trying to figure out how to hit out of the heather. (hint fox: maybe watching the guy hit from the heather would be better) It wasn't as bad as the 5 minute Jason Day vertigo walk but I spent so much time thinking "isn't someone on the course hitting a shot?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom