Virginia Game Thread... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Virginia Game Thread...

Year after year, this program has a penchant for being unable to hold late leads. We’ve rallied many times ourselves, but it seems like we’ve pulled this stunt the majority of the time.

Cunningham is a solid player but I still would have preferred to have Melon match up with Kraus.
Kraus started the season a little slow due to injury but he seems to be rounding back in form.

Year after year, this program has a penchant for being unable to hold late leads. We’ve rallied many times ourselves, but it seems like we’ve pulled this stunt the majority of the time.

Were usually pretty good holding on but a bad trend has developed from that Navy game last year of SU blowing multiple goal leads. Such a bss loss today though, we had it.

Cunningham is a solid player but I still would have preferred to have Melon match up with Kraus.
Kraus started the season a little slow due to injury but he seems to be rounding back in form.

Mellen shut down Moore, someone else has to step up. Kennedy or Helmer should have had Kraus. With that said of Drake plays like himself in the 4th we win, he let in a few he shouldn't have.

Mellen shut down Moore, someone else has to step up. Kennedy or Helmer should have had Kraus. With that said of Drake plays like himself in the 4th we win, he let in a few he shouldn't have.

Do you like Helmer better playing SSDM or Pole? Honestly I think he's pretty good at both but maybe some games you let him play one or the other?

Lots of things the team needs to work on, this is a frustrating loss. Too many penalties (a lot were bad calls, but a lot were legit), and too many times giving up last second goals. Felt like the defense really wore down near the end of the game. A handful of plays and things could have turned out much differently.

That said there were a lot of great plays made by the Orange, I saw a ton of HHH this game. Dearth’s goal and Helmer’s assist to Voigt felt like things that had been missing from this team. UVA is extremely talented but this still felt like one that got away.

Can’t help but feel this loss really changes the complexion of the season. They had a great response after losing to Colgate, but this game is a stomach punch. Do they hang their heads and sulk or come back out looking for revenge against a team that embarrassed them last year? This might just be a season where they have to scrape and claw to get to 500 and hope that’s enough for the tournament.

Do you like Helmer better playing SSDM or Pole? Honestly I think he's pretty good at both but maybe some games you let him play one or the other?

I like him better at ssdm but in this game put him on Kraus and let him body him. Cunningham is good but he was outclassed, staff failed not recognizing and making a switch.

They can’t afford to have Helmer not play short stick, I think they exclusively played just Dearth, Helmer and Murphy there today. Schwas played a little bit just on the wings I think.

Lots of things the team needs to work on, this is a frustrating loss. Too many penalties (a lot were bad calls, but a lot were legit), and too many times giving up last second goals. Felt like the defense really wore down near the end of the game. A handful of plays and things could have turned out much differently.

That said there were a lot of great plays made by the Orange, I saw a ton of HHH this game. Dearth’s goal and Helmer’s assist to Voigt felt like things that had been missing from this team. UVA is extremely talented but this still felt like one that got away.

Can’t help but feel this loss really changes the complexion of the season. They had a great response after losing to Colgate, but this game is a stomach punch. Do they hang their heads and sulk or come back out looking for revenge against a team that embarrassed them last year? This might just be a season where they have to scrape and claw to get to 500 and hope that’s enough for the tournament.

Colgate lost today to Lehigh, that loss is not going to look good in a few weeks

Tough to win when the refs award your opponent a goal and 10 EMOs.

That said, giving away a 4-goal lead in 4Q is something you just can't let happen.

Next week a must win for tourney or what?

Hey, what does the hoops team and lax team now have in common?

Just about 1/3 into our season, and we are talking about the next game being "must" wins to make the tourney. ;):(

I know UVA has more offensive talent but the D looked more organized last week with Murphy in against Army.

FTR, i ended with the opinion on officials and posted similarly mid-game:
2 delay of game penalties were bad, the second one was absurd.
the Bomberry push was turrible.
for the 'hoos, the greco hit on cunningham just should not have been a penalty, especially after they let bomberry light up conrad with a running start earlier.

there was absolutely nothing wrong with the hit on voigt. not sure why anyone has a problem with it. as voigt turned, it was shoulder to shoulder, not vicious. clean.

in addendum: 'cuse should have had 2 or 3 other withholding penalties earlier in the game. they called infractions on uva all thru the first half, but 'cuse got away with a lot... and 'cuse got manups in the process.
in addendum addendum: virginia has been about twice as good on a % basis 6 v 6 than manup. they were terrible last year, too, they will be bad at it for the rest of this year, and they were bad at it today. 'cuse wasn't worse off unless they otherwise would've had the ball (which is only once, IMO).

I know UVA has more offensive talent but the D looked more organized last week with Murphy in against Army.

It's probably not fair to compare the difference between the UVA and Army offenses. I thought Murphy was very solid last week but if Bomberry is healthy he's playing.

With our schedule, 7-5 will get this team in the tourney. A win today would have put them in good position for a winning season. Need to find a way to win the next two.

It's probably not fair to compare the difference between the UVA and Army offenses. I thought Murphy was very solid last week but if Bomberry is healthy he's playing.

Yeah, didn’t mean to imply Bomberry isn’t as good or cost us the game.

The lack of consistency sliding and communicating drives me nuts.

Thats a weak push call in OT. Just my opinion but if you’re diving there should be no push call. That kid had already initiated his dive and was nearly extended and parallel to the ground when the contact is made. Play on.

Thats a weak push call in OT. Just my opinion but if you’re diving there should be no push call. That kid had already initiated his dive and was nearly extended and parallel to the ground when the contact is made. Play on.
so you're allowed to crosscheck-push a guy full bore after he gets inside you? and i'm pretty sure the SU player is pretty jacked, it wasn't a small amount of force. his option at that point was to trail check as kraus pulled his stick back/inside. he chose to slam him in the back.

Frigging Quint saying "can't argue about that call" was him exposing just more subtleties of his pulling for UVA in this game.

Felt like UVA found matchups they liked with our shorties and exploited that. Just a tough game. Thought Porter played fine but need to play like has the last two weeks. Not pinning the loss on him, just saying big players need to step up in big games.

Nice to see the offense step up, I know UVA doesn’t have the best defense but it was still a good sign to see them but up 14. Just wish we could see the defense and offense play well in the same game.

Definitely not must win next week but that Rutgers game will be if they lose to Hopkins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom