Washington Redskins Name Change... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Redskins Name Change...

George Thorogood owns the name Destroyers.

not at least he should.

As a proud Delawarean, and someone who went to HS with George Thorogood, I know. 'Bad To The Bone' is a perfect successor to 'Hail To The Redskins'.

If people knew history they would know Indians comes from the fact that the explorers who found North America thought they were going to India and thus when they landed they called the natives Indians.

I get Redskins being racist that is pretty obvious. Indians isn’t racist. They got rid of the racist mascot.

If Indians goes then Vikings/Cowboys/Celtics/Fighting Irish could be next.

Yeah Indians I can go either way with. The logo was bad. Real bad.

If there are a lot of native americans who find the name offense though, you probably should just dump it.

If there are a lot of native americans who find the name offense though, you probably should just dump it.
Are they “offended” for real reasons or just to be offended.
As again the term isn’t racist. It was meant to apply to the natives of the new world founded as people from India. Thus Indians.

Without the mascot or logo the term honestly can’t be perceived as racist if people are honest.
Redskins is clearly in a different ballpark.

Is the term Patriots racist? I mean sure their were loyalists to the British crown offended by the name.

Washington Mugwumps

Washington Gerrymanderers

Washington Obstructionists

Washington Throttlebottoms

or play the long game with

Washington Football Club brought to you by Fedex

Are they “offended” for real reasons or just to be offended.
As again the term isn’t racist. It was meant to apply to the natives of the new world founded as people from India. Thus Indians.

Without the mascot or logo the term honestly can’t be perceived as racist if people are honest.
Redskins is clearly in a different ballpark.

Is the term Patriots racist? I mean sure their were loyalists to the British crown offended by the name.

so the fact that they aren’t Indians? It may not be racist but it sure is stupid .. just because your Old boss kept getting your name wrong and called you Skippy doesn’t mean you should just accept being called Skippy .. just flip it to natives and problem solved

My issue with this stuff is where does it end? If you dig enough, you can find a reason to hate everyone. A reason to change everyone’s name.

How about my buccaneers? We’re there slaves in the bottom of those boats?

Slaves worked in the Steel factories in Pittsburgh.
Many slaves worked in the California gold rush. 49ers, you are on the clock.
Many on the left think anyone who calls themselves a patriot is a white nationalist. Are they next?
Personally I think this is all silliness, but I’m just proving that if you aren’t careful, you’ll have nothing. Everything in life is tied to an uglier time. Can we just try and learn from it and not repeat certain history?
Chiefs and Browns next How about the Indianapolis Clowns and the Alcorn State Braves

so the fact that they aren’t Indians? It may not be racist but it sure is stupid .. just because your Old boss kept getting your name wrong and called you Skippy doesn’t mean you should just accept being called Skippy .. just flip it to natives and problem solved
What is offensive about the nickname
Indians?

Your example is nowhere near what was previously said.

What is offensive about the nickname
Indians?

Your example is nowhere near what was previously said.

I am not following the merits of your argument. When the Cleveland baseball franchise adopted the nickname Indians it was pretty clearly a reference to native Americans including the ridiculous caricature of a Native American, Chief Wahoo, as a mascot.

I am not following the merits of your argument. When the Cleveland baseball franchise adopted the nickname Indians it was pretty clearly a reference to native Americans including the ridiculous caricature of a Native American, Chief Wahoo, as a mascot.
That mascot is gone.

What is offensive with the nickname
Indians. Their old mascot and logo was offensive and is gone.

Now what is wrong with the name?

That mascot is gone.

It is a term that has historically been used to refer to the Native American/Alaskan race of people. It is not a term typically used to refer to these peoples any longer and it is considered offensive by at least some of them.

Would you defend the use of Washington Whites or Baltimore Blacks or Austin Asians or one of any number of derogatory terms used to refer to those races?

It is a term that has historically been used to refer to the Native American/Alaskan race of people. It is not a term typically used to refer to these peoples any longer and it is considered offensive by at least some of them.

Would you defend the use of Washington Whites or Baltimore Blacks or Austin Asians or one of any number of derogatory terms used to refer to those races?
You could feel they aren’t the strongest of nicknames but I don’t see the nickname Indians as racist.

Is Florida State Seminoles okay?
The nickname Indians without Chief Wahoo as a mascot/logo is not racist.

I call it the way I see it.

No it wasn't that logo was great there was nothing racist about it.

Move to Northern VA after the FedEx Field lease ends and go with Virginia Vaginas.

The logo possibilities are endless.

That mascot is gone.

it’s offensive in so far as the people it references are in fact NOT Indians .. Indians live in India .. it’s not offensive empirically like the term Redskins but give the people the respect of being called by their correct nomenclature

You could feel they aren’t the strongest of nicknames but I don’t see the nickname Indians as racist.

Is Florida State Seminoles okay?
The nickname Indians without Chief Wahoo as a mascot/logo is not racist.

I call it the way I see it.
Seminoles is an accurate portrayal of the people its supposed to represent .. unless you’re trying to tell me the Cleveland baseball franchise was indeed trying to reference people from the country India ... then it’s not offensive ... but the logo sure didn’t seem to refer to the traditional dress of people from there

Seminoles is an accurate portrayal of the people its supposed to represent .. unless you’re trying to tell me the Cleveland baseball franchise was indeed trying to reference people from the country India ... then it’s not offensive ... but the logo sure didn’t seem to refer to the traditional dress of people from there
Oh I’m pretty sure if there was a baseball cap featuring a dude with a big smile and a dot on his head someone would be unhappy.

I just spent way too much time thinking about this.
I'm leaning toward Americans. They could keep the logo for the first Americans.

Last edited:
Based on the political shenanigans that have been central to that city for over two centuries I'll suggest The Washington Swamp Things. It's gotten even swampier lately.

1593924711563.png

it’s offensive in so far as the people it references are in fact NOT Indians .. Indians live in India .. it’s not offensive empirically like the term Redskins but give the people the respect of being called by their correct nomenclature
Who is actually offended?

You are talking for people I doubt you have done the research and why are they offended?

I am not afraid to call to out stuff worth the energy. The nickname Indians needs more than what you said.

My issue with this stuff is where does it end? If you dig enough, you can find a reason to hate everyone. A reason to change everyone’s name.

How about my buccaneers? We’re there slaves in the bottom of those boats?

Slaves worked in the Steel factories in Pittsburgh.
Many slaves worked in the California gold rush. 49ers, you are on the clock.
Many on the left think anyone who calls themselves a patriot is a white nationalist. Are they next?
Personally I think this is all silliness, but I’m just proving that if you aren’t careful, you’ll have nothing. Everything in life is tied to an uglier time. Can we just try and learn from it and not repeat certain history?
The Celtics and Fighting Irish logos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom