Washington Redskins Name Change... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Washington Redskins Name Change...

wow. are you kidding? you're going to play the where does it end card with a team name that is on its face a racial slur? you don't need to go digging around 2nd and 3rd order history facts to figure this one out. dang name is REDSKINS. let me guess. you aren't native american. if so, then maybe it shouldn't be your call with whether to be offended or not.
So far, the call to change the name is led by white people. Until a recent poll by Berkeley, most polls of people identifying as Native American weren't bothered by the nickname. Then Berkeley structured a poll to get the opposite result.
I think most Native Americans have other things to worry about, like poverty, alcoholism, drug use and mortality rates.
The nickname thing, for the most part, is white liberal angst.
As a country we have so much wealth and free time we have to create controversy to stay occupied and engaged.

Yeah Indians I can go either way with. The logo was bad. Real bad.

If there are a lot of native americans who find the name offense though, you probably should just dump it.
Weren't the Clovis the original people of North America?
Didn't all early people migrate here, meaning none are, in fact, "native"?

Change the Indians to the Caucasians for a year and change their logo to the shirt that I purchased that Bomani Jones wore on ESPN a few years ago. If white people cry about it like they do everything else they don’t agree with, then change it after a year.

Last edited:
Chiefs and Browns next How about the Indianapolis Clowns and the Alcorn State Braves
The Browns are named for Paul Brown, the original owner/coach of the franchise from the All America Football Conference. On the player cards of the 50s and 60s, the mascot was a pixie, also called a brown, as in the Brownies of the Girls Scouts who used to have a pixie on their hats.
You could feel they aren’t the strongest of nicknames but I don’t see the nickname Indians as racist.

Is Florida State Seminoles okay?
The nickname Indians without Chief Wahoo as a mascot/logo is not racist.

I call it the way I see it.
It is because FSU has written permission from the Seminole tribe to use it.

Change the Indians to the Caucasians for a year and change their logo to the shirt that I purchased that Bomani Jones wore on ESPN a few years ago. If white people cry about it like they do everything else they don’t agree with change it after a year.
That would be hilarious and I wouldn’t care.
Who honestly would be offended by that.

People call themselves caucasians on the census, polls. So it’s not like it’s an offensive term.

The Browns are named for Paul Brown, the original owner/coach of the franchise from the All Amrica Football Conference. On the player cards of the 50s and 60s, the mascot was a pixie, also called a brown, as in the Brownies of the Girls Scouts who used to have a pixie on their hats.

It is because FSU has written permission from the Seminole tribe to use it.
So who is offended by the term Indian?

So who is offended by the term Indian?
Apparently a lot of people because all those Indian- and tribal-based mascots were chosen for savagery associated with Indians, period. Dartmouth and William and Mary could semi-get away with choosing it because both had schools to teach the Indians of the area.

Apparently a lot of people because all those Indian- and tribal-based mascots were chosen for savagery associated with Indians, period. Dartmouth and William and Mary could semi-get away with choosing it because both had schools to teach the Indians of the area.
See this is why I don’t care if they don’t change their name.

You say a lot of people.
Who are these people? What are they offended at? Are they offended because it bothers or gives them an issue to complain about to justify fundraising for their motives.

If something is racist I say get rid of it.
The term Redskins is clearly racist.
Confederate soldier statues clearly racist.
Stars and bars clearly racist.

The nickname Indians isn’t racist.
So people want it changed so they can get another victory. If all it takes is one person to claim stuff is offensive then the world is truly screwed.

Is the nickname Patriots offensive?
Cavaliers comes from supporters of King Charles the first in England.
He led a civil war in England and killed innocent Scots.

I have Scottish ancestry can I be offended by the Cavaliers since they likely killed some my ancestors or their friends.

This cycle never ends if we don’t have lines. Stuff that deserves to go should go.

Are Raiders or Buccaneers offensive? Or Vikings?

That would be hilarious and I wouldn’t care.
Who honestly would be offended by that.

People call themselves caucasians on the census, polls. So it’s not like it’s an offensive term.

Based on the reaction I received when I wear that shirt I know people who most definitely would be offended...

Based on the reaction I received when I wear that shirt I know people who most definitely would be offended...
Those people are the opposite of the people who complain about Indians.
Again I doubt they are actually offended and just want culture wars.

I can’t stand culture wars. Racist chit has to go. Stuff that people just want to be offended at to be offended isn’t going to bother me.

People are beyond sensitive. I am not singling out either side either.
If someone wants to get an abortion it’s their right.
I can’t stand the pro-life people sticking their noses in people’s personal business.

Southpark has been ahead of the curve on everything in this country. They had this cancel culture stuff sniffed out 2 years ago.

What is the line at being offended? Everyone is offended at everything today.

See this is why I don’t care if they don’t change their name.

You say a lot of people.
Who are these people?
What are they offended at? Are they offended because it bothers or gives them an issue to complain about to justify fundraising for their motives.

{snip}

Are Raiders or Buccaneers offensive? Or Vikings?
They are Native Americans, i.e. Indians, Inuits, and Aleuts, since they're considered as separate by the BIA. I don't give a rat's patootie if some latte-drinking hipster in Brooklyn is offended. However, if the Native Americans are offended, then end them.

The Cavaliers were supporters of King Charles I and the Stuarts, who were from Scotland. If anyone should be offended by the name it's people who believed in parliamentary government and not the divine right of kings. The Wiki doesn't mention any pogrom-type activity against Scotland, primarily unsuccessful attempts at putting down rebellions against his authority in Scotland and Ireland. If you can get up enough people to demand we and the NBA franchise change our names, more power to you.

Raiders, Buccaneers, and Pirates (probably chosen for its alliteration) were, and still are, savage people. if there's some socio-ethnic group that's offended, let them start a movement to end those names as well. the Vikings had, and probably still have, the reputation of savage fighters, but it seems the folks in Minnesota, many of whom have Scandinavian roots like the name, both because the Vikings are from Scandinavia and were savage fighters. I'd say that one is pretty safe.

Those people are the opposite of the people who complain about Indians.
Again I doubt they are actually offended and just want culture wars.

I can’t stand culture wars. Racist chit has to go. Stuff that people just want to be offended at to be offended isn’t going to bother me.

People are beyond sensitive. I am not singling out either side either.
If someone wants to get an abortion it’s their right.
I can’t stand the pro-life people sticking their noses in people’s personal business.

Southpark has been ahead of the curve on everything in this country. They had this cancel culture stuff sniffed out 2 years ago.

What is the line at being offended? Everyone is offended at everything today.

There’s a lot of people in my rural hometown that are offended by a lot of things people of other cultures and races do. They seem to claim reverse racism at everything. I’m not sure if they want the culture wars or they are just ignorant. Actually you are probably right that they do want culture wars.

A few years ago, the DOE changed the language of the Social Studies Standards from Native Americans to American Indians.

A suggestion I saw the other day was the Washington Skins. Most people in this area call them the Skins anyway, so you wouldn't lose that sense of tradition that makes people nostalgic. But you would take away the word red and the Indian logo. Keep the same exact color scheme and uniforms. And make the logo something like a “pigskin” football with the letters DC or something. Seems like a great compromise to me.

In other words, all they have to do is make some very minor tweaks. Similar to us going from Orangemen to Orange.

Last edited:
A suggestion I saw the other day was the Washington Skins. Most people in this area call them the Skins anyway, so you wouldn't lose that sense of tradition that makes people nostalgic. But you would take away the word red and the Indian logo. Seems like a great compromise to me.

I like it. Or they could go with Hogs.

Snyder's three minority partners (including Fred Smith) apparently want out. The Danny could play true to form here, hit everyone pulling product with a breach of contract lawsuit (or whatever). He's such an awful human but that would be entertaining as heck.

A suggestion I saw the other day was the Washington Skins. Most people in this area call them the Skins anyway, so you wouldn't lose that sense of tradition that makes people nostalgic. But you would take away the word red and the Indian logo. Keep the same exact color scheme and uniforms. And make the logo something like a “pigskin” football with the letters DC or something. Seems like a great compromise to me.

In other words, all they have to do is make some very minor tweaks. Similar to us going from Orangemen to Orange.
Using tour logic vis-a-vis Orangemen to Orange, shouldn't it just be shortened to Reds. Which would be quite an appropriate name for a DC team..

what with the stupid teasing. they're announcing a name change but not announcing THE name change. are they going to turn this into a reality show?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom