Watching UCOnn, I can see why many | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Watching UCOnn, I can see why many

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I mean why are you being penalized for being bigger and a better fighter?

Thought this was AMERICA

their fans are the worst… you must not have gone to many big east tournaments
I'm a UConn fan and my wife and I went to all the Big East tournaments, starting with the one at the Carrier Dome in 1981 (until moving South in 2011) and have to wonder how many you've attended if you think UConn fans are the worst.

We suffered in obscurity and with the lack of facilities and good coaching for the first decade in the Big East, always in the then Wednesday night play in game at the tournament, and were very excited one year when we beat BC in the play-in game. We thought maybe this is the start of something big but lost the next night.

But then magic happened. The NIT Championship in 1988 gave the fans hope and then came 1990. The Dream Season. No five star recruits, no four star recruits, just a hard working bunch that meshed as a team.

If you went this year and think UConn fans are the worst, (we still go occasionally) you must not have had any PC fans sitting near you and if you went during the first fifteen years of the league you must not have paid attention to how the SU and GTown fans acted. St Johns fans never bothered us because they were, unbelievably, more reserved, but SU and GTown were either boisterous or arrogant, depending on how charitably you viewed them.

SU and Gtown were kings of the league and their fans assumed the same personna. We couldn't beat Villanova, occasionally gave SU a good game, but our fans started to gain confidence when we won our first Big East tournament championship in 1990. Imagine how we felt beating Gtown (with Mutombo and Mourning) and SU (with Coleman and Owens) with sophomore journeyman Dan Cyrulik and six foot six inch freshman Toraino Walker as our center and power forward. We were all elated. We wanted it so badly it was almost hard to believe it happened.

So, maybe the UConn fans today are your alter ego...

I'm a UConn fan and my wife and I went to all the Big East tournaments, starting with the one at the Carrier Dome in 1981 (until moving South in 2011) and have to wonder how many you've attended if you think UConn fans are the worst.

We suffered in obscurity and with the lack of facilities and good coaching for the first decade in the Big East, always in the then Wednesday night play in game at the tournament, and were very excited one year when we beat BC in the play-in game. We thought maybe this is the start of something big but lost the next night.

But then magic happened. The NIT Championship in 1988 gave the fans hope and then came 1990. The Dream Season. No five star recruits, no four star recruits, just a hard working bunch that meshed as a team.

If you went this year and think UConn fans are the worst, (we still go occasionally) you must not have had any PC fans sitting near you and if you went during the first fifteen years of the league you must not have paid attention to how the SU and GTown fans acted. St Johns fans never bothered us because they were, unbelievably, more reserved, but SU and GTown were either boisterous or arrogant, depending on how charitably you viewed them.

SU and Gtown were kings of the league and their fans assumed the same personna. We couldn't beat Villanova, occasionally gave SU a good game, but our fans started to gain confidence when we won our first Big East tournament championship in 1990. Imagine how we felt beating Gtown (with Mutombo and Mourning) and SU (with Coleman and Owens) with sophomore journeyman Dan Cyrulik and six foot six inch freshman Toraino Walker as our center and power forward. We were all elated. We wanted it so badly it was almost hard to believe it happened.

I went to at least 12. Your fans laughed when JB hit someone with his car on an icy highway and the person died. Great people. Go back to the Boneyard.

What gets me is the absolute lack of respect they have for Jimmy B. Using the accident as humor, bragging about Tyler Olander’s ring count etc

I have to question whether you were actually there. As you refer to Georgetown fans. In plural.

I think I met one once.

UConn is the topped rank team in KenPom and I'm sure this performance will only increase the gap.

I personally think there are bad fans representing every team. they over power the good fans mostly. To blame all fans because of a couple is pretty ridiculous. Of course it’s all part of the game. Georgetown was a great rivalry, same with UConn.

SU tends to be a negative fan base, but most of us are normal folks that appreciate good basketball whoever plays. Duke is the team I dislike now, but I know most people in N. Carolina are good people. Now if you are talking about WVU, maybe I’ll agree with you (just kidding).
BTw I can’t believe what UConn did to Gonzaga. Amazing…

Give the devil his due, they're looking really good.
Let's not forget they've been in the woods for quite a while, and obviously Hurley was the right choice.
Now that we've made the switch, Coach Red can hopefully get it started and get us back on track.

Not only do they have a great team this year, they have 3 Top 100 Recruits coming in next year.

I have to question whether you were actually there. As you refer to Georgetown fans. In plural.

I think I met one once.
It was the 80's and early 90's. They were the ones with the yellow ties...

They have better than that. They have #5 kid in country and then 3 top 75’s, but why would anyone want to play for that psycho?
What I don’t get is how Louisville after almost going 0 for the season can get 3 top 100 guys. I have faith in Red, but next recruiting cycle is going to be very telling on what direction we’re heading.

They have better than that. They have #5 kid in country and then 3 top 75’s, but why would anyone want to play for that psycho?
Because he can coach and puts them in position to succeed. As a player, I’d rather have the psychopath that pushed me and my teammates than the old overseer.

He put together a perfect modern roster with a stud big, a shooting F and a bunch of guards that can shoot, create and defend with size. Basically everything we hope Red plans to do, Hurley already has done.

Kills me, but UCONN is very good. I threw 5 dollars on them to win it all. It made me sick. Pays out 95 dollars. Nothing crazy. But they had the best advanced stats against the best team.

What I mean by that, is they played their best ball against the top teams. When playing top 50 teams, they had the best advanced stats. Something like that.

so is this UCONN hate or Hurley hate? This year's team is fun to watch. Very good, and frankly makes me very envious. Their program success tops ours. It sucks but it is what it is. We are part of that history and have provided some thorns in their side, and they have achieved more than us. We need to get off our feet and get back in the fight.
I'd love to see an SU team play with their intensity and athleticism.

What gets me is the absolute lack of respect they have for Jimmy B. Using the accident as humor, bragging about Tyler Olander’s ring count etc

I think the Olander ring count thing is just a funny joke, I won't act like SU fans wouldn't do the same thing if it was in reverse. The car accident is a terrible thing to poke fun at him for.

I just found out that Hurley is also a Cincinnati Bengals fan and my world has been turned upside down. I am questioning existence and everything I thought I’ve ever known.

I know people who have tickets to the FF in Houston. Just because. They are considering selling the Monday tickets depending how Sat goes. If I had them, I don't know if I could enjoy the games period and if UConn makes the finals, definitely sell the tickets. My stomach couldn't stand watching TWO UConn games much less watch then win!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JYCUSE12

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom