Well forget about Oats | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Well forget about Oats

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were paying JB $2.6 in 2017

I think that is still JB's annual compensation. You're not going to lure Oats up to Syracuse on a lateral move. Gonna have to bump him at least 25-30% which gets him solidly up to the low $3 millions. I'll believe that when I see it.

What Bama “can” pay him and what they “will” pay him may not be the same. We care about hoops. Do they?
I've heard Alabama bball referred to as a distraction until spring football starts.

te
And that’s with the “JB hometown discount”.

We don’t pay more because he doesn’t demand more.
Not because we can’t afford to.

In non-Covid years we lead the country in attendance.
We’re in an elite P5 hoops conference.

Wildhack will spend what is needed for the new coach, when that time arises.

You're right. SU can afford it. And they would be wise to bring in a proven successful HC and pay him what he is worth instead of hiring Hopkins, Autry et al. I don't see them coughing up $3-4 mil to get that done. JMO.

I've heard Alabama bball referred to as a distraction until spring football starts.

I'm sure they said that about Texas Tech until they went back to back elite 8 and NC title game. That guy makes $4mil+ a year.

I'm sure they said that about Texas Tech until they went back to back elite 8 and NC title game. That guy makes $4mil+ a year.
Texas tech doesn't have a great football program.

What Bama “can” pay him and what they “will” pay him may not be the same. We care about hoops. Do they?

It'll be interesting to see how much they really care about hoops if the money starts taking away more from football.

Last edited:
Texas tech doesn't have a great football program.

But they're crazy about football and have a modest hoops history. Not sure what your point is. Alabama isn't known to have a great hoops program but they'd roll us by 30 this year.

But they're crazy about football and have a modest hoops history. Not sure what your point is. Alabama isn't known to have a great hoops program but they'd roll us by 30 this year.
Texas tech has had some success before. Bob Knight had a decent run. 100 pct they are better than us this year. I am comparing the two programs as a whole.

Alabama football running out of money? I think the Federal Reserve may run out of $$$ before that happens.

Haha I have no doubt they still have plenty of money but things get more expensive every year, and it costs a lot to have an elite football and basketball program

Texas tech has had some success before. Bob Knight had a decent run. 100 pct they are better than us this year. I am comparing the two programs as a whole.

SU's hoops history is far greater than Bama or T Tech but not sure that is really relevant. Oats and Beard could probably care little about that. They'd need to be paid beaucoup dollars to come to CNY.

Alabama has had more success than T Tech btw

Haha I have no doubt they still have plenty of money but things get more expensive every year, and it costs a lot to have an elite football and basketball program

That's a first world problem. :)

Assuming we don't keep it in the family, I fear one of the several lesson that JB's retirement is going to teach us is that we are not the destination we think we are.

And I'm surprised people think we'd have a shot at Oates, who currently enjoys the open checkbook of an SEC football power. I think if we're lucky we'll get a successful young coach of a top mid-Major or bottom feeding P5 program, e.g. the next Brad Stevens/Tony Bennett.

It'll be interesting to see how much they really care about hoops if the money starts taking away more from football.
Money would never be taken from football, but consistent success would probably just generate more for basketball. If they're winning, people will care about basketball. The big difference is what happens when they are losing. If they're losing in basketball it's an annoyance. In football it's a state wide emergency.

Assuming we don't keep it in the family, I fear one of the several lesson that JB's retirement is going to teach us is that we are not the destination we think we are.

And I'm surprised people think we'd have a shot at Oates, who currently enjoys the open checkbook of an SEC football power. I think if we're lucky we'll get a successful young coach of a top mid-Major or bottom feeding P5 program, e.g. the next Brad Stevens/Tony Bennett.
I can see that. I wonder if/how much our perception has changed. If JB had retired after the 2012 season is the job different than if he retired after this season?

"We're lucky we'll get a successful young coach of a top mid-major or bottom feeding P5 program". This post is more unreal than Buddy not starting. Unrealistic hot take. Take it to the boneyard.

I would never undersell anything SYRACUSE ATHLETICS
Why not? Our own coach is saying we should lower our expectations... and can’t be expected to compete against some teams.

SU will pay 3M+ .
We lead the nation in paid attendance.
Lets say we continue to be average and we drop 5-7k a game, possibly 10k a game. The loss is huge. JW gets it.
This. We’ll need to make a big splash with the next hire when JW sees 15k in the stands next fall.

We are aren’t Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas. However we are a tier right below that. We have some of the best basketball facilities in the country, we have one of, if not the best venue to play in, we have one of the best fan bases in the country, where games can get over 30,000 people, we have a rich history, amazing basketball alumni base, an AD that cares a whole lot about basketball and an AD that is willing to shell out money within reason.

We are a destination job without question. We aren’t those teams that I mentioned but 99% of coaches will listen when Syracuse basketball comes calling. The rest is up to Wildhack to do a sell job which I have full confidence he will. He is VERY passionate about Syracuse basketball.

We are aren’t Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina or Kansas. However we are a tier right below that. We have some of the best basketball facilities in the country, we have one of, if not the best venue to play in, we have one of the best fan bases in the country, where games can get over 30,000 people, we have a rich history, amazing basketball alumni base, an AD that cares a whole lot about basketball and an AD that is willing to shell out money within reason.

We are a destination job without question. We aren’t those teams that I mentioned but 99% of coaches will listen when Syracuse basketball comes calling. The rest is up to Wildhack to do a sell job which I have full confidence he will. He is VERY passionate about Syracuse basketball.
Biggest sure, but far from the best.Watching a game at the Dome is way down on the list of best venues.

Why not? Our own coach is saying we should lower our expectations... and can’t be expected to compete against some teams.
thats not what i was saying.
I meant i know where syracuse is at in all facets in terms off what they have to offer and their limitatons as a program, therefore thats why i said i will never undersell the orange

Bama was down 20 in the 2nd half to Mizzou and now it's a 1 pt game with 1 min left. Gotta appreciate the heart and effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom