What did Marek do to get the flagrant? | Syracusefan.com

What did Marek do to get the flagrant?

Saw nothing at the game.
not a flagrant foul. Ref though he distespected him by pointing to a replay. Didn't like it. Same as talking back to him to much. Oops wrong foul.

I’m sure I’m way off base on this, but here’s what I don’t get about that call. I thought the hook and hold call was supposed to be all about doing something to get the refs to make a bad call. They already made the “correct” call (debatable), then they review and determine he tried to trick them but didn’t so we’re penalized again?

if anything, I would think a hook and hold could have been called on the wake guy since that looked like he clamped as well and he’s the one that actually got the call his way from the refs.

not a flagrant foul. Ref though he distespected him by pointing to a replay. Didn't like it. Same as talking back to him to much. Oops wrong foul.
Like jdubs said, he bumped the ref

He also kinda bodied the ref for a few steps.

I love Marek. He’s been screwed for years. I also think his aggressiveness has been awesome this year.

but the T was warranted
All he did was point to the replay. That was really weak.

I wish all kids would quit complaining about officiating. Leave that to the coaches and fans. Referees may suck but they are doing their best in most cases... and they tolerate way too much snipiness from players.

Last edited:
He also kinda bodied the ref for a few steps.

I love Marek. He’s been screwed for years. I also think his aggressiveness has been awesome this year.

but the T was warranted
This. Can't have contact with the ref, even if unintentional.
There may have been some salty language, as was speculated earlier.

I’m sure I’m way off base on this, but here’s what I don’t get about that call. I thought the hook and hold call was supposed to be all about doing something to get the refs to make a bad call. They already made the “correct” call (debatable), then they review and determine he tried to trick them but didn’t so we’re penalized again?

if anything, I would think a hook and hold could have been called on the wake guy since that looked like he clamped as well and he’s the one that actually got the call his way from the refs.

The hook and hold puts the player being held in a precarious position and in jeopardy of injury. It’s been ruled an unnecessary and dangerous play. Marek was definitely guilty of having committed the foul.

He was also an idiot on the technical. Ref could have let it go, but Marek puts himself in jeopardy of being given a technical for bitcoin about calls far too frequently. It was only a matter of time before someone obliged and gave him the T.

I wish all kids would quit complaining about officiating. Leave that to the coaches. Referees may suck but they are doing their best in most cases... and they tolerate way too much snipiness from players.
I’m with you but pointing to a replay that obviously shows he was wrong is not really complaining. He literally pointed to a screen. I know that gets in the refs face but if he made the right call it’s a non issue.

Pointing to the reply will get you a T in any league in the world. he may have bumped him as well. that also will get you a T in any league in the world. Pointing and bumping will therefore, get you a T in any league in the world. Unless you play for Duke. Then, the ref says he is sorry
My reply was essentially incoherent. My bad. He was pointing before the ref started walking, and the tech wasn't called. Ref showed restraint. Ref started walking, Marek kept pointing and they contacted each other and the ref immediately teed him up. That's what I meant.

Pointing to the reply will get you a T in any league in the world. He may have bumped him as well. That also will get you a T in any league in the world. Pointing and bumping will therefore, get you a T in any league in the world. Unless you play for Duke. Then, the ref says he is sorry
Exactly. Pointing at anything is showing up the official.

Is hook and hold the same as the formerly famous "clutch and grab" term used for many years on here, or at least a distant cousin?

The were only two flagrants in this game. Marek got elbowed in the adam’s apple but was called for the hook and hold, and Buddy got body checked to the ground when that guys did not make any play on the ball.

The flagrant on the foul on Buddy is a subjective judgment call. Could go either way. Personally I didn’t think it was a flagrant.

The hook and hold is not subjective. Kind of like elbow contact above the shoulders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom