What did Marek do to get the flagrant? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What did Marek do to get the flagrant?

the hook and hold was a bad call. what he did was not by rule a hook and hold.

the T was a ref calling a T for no reason because he scrwed up a call.. as soon as he walked of the line he was calling the T which was way before he signaled it. thats juts being a bad ref not controlling his own emotions,.

Buddies should have been an intentional foul not a flagrant. everyone in the building including the announcers saw it but 3 refs on replay screwed it up

The flagrant on the foul on Buddy is a subjective judgment call. Could go either way. Personally I didn’t think it was a flagrant.

The hook and hold is not subjective. Kind of like elbow contact above the shoulders.

I'm going to assess all the technicals/flagrants that were or were not called from my perspective:

Wake guy knocking Buddy out: Right call, players try to do that all the time, shield the guy so he can't save the ball. Buddy diving made it look bad, but relatively harmless and fairly normal move. I wouldn't want it called on us, so can't really complain that it wasn't called here.

Marek First T: He hooked, and held. I didn't think he pulled him down. There was no danger of injury. They locked arms. I suppose the right call, but I think they could have let it go. Alas, they didn't, and it wasn't the "wrong" call.

Marek Second T: I'd have to see it again. Seemed like Marek started pointing and ref just as much walked into Marek as Marek walked into him. You're the official, be better. Still, contact was made, Marek starting showing him up, not a "wrong" call either, but maybe could have been handled better by all parties.

Marek has to tell the ref "Your Mother" in Slovakian.
It’s funny because I almost wonder if he said something in Slovakian and the guy was just like “I don’t understand it so it had to be bad. Technical!”

There seems to be a lot of comments saying there was definite contact. There might have been, but no replays clearly showed that.

Is hook and hold the same as the formerly famous "clutch and grab" term used for many years on here, or at least a distant cousin?
Yes, sort of like the relative minor, in music. Clutch and grab style is employed commonly by players such as Tre Jones and Brandon Childress, who are also fond of the undercutting technique (See Tyus Battle). For more examples, see Duke, Coach K and teams coach by his former players like Uconn and Pitt.

The hook and hold is more commonly done by big guys fighting for position in the paint. One guy, Omar Sarr for example, will use his arms to ward off Marek, for example, from gaining position. Marek will also use his arms. All of this leads to a very dangerous arms race. In this case, following the entanglement, Sarr extended his elbow into Marek’s adam’s apple, but the ref had been waiting so eagerly to intervene with his new “hook and hold“ call.

The hook and hold was the correct call. I had a guy do it to me in a pickup game and almost, reflexively, threw a punch. It’s such a dirty play. Not saying Marek’s was intentionally dirty, but you can seriously hurt someone doing that.

The T was bizarre. I don’t know where the ref was power walking to?.. He initiated being in Marek’s personal space. You’re the ref, if you have to make random bee-lines somewhere, at least dont do it buzzing by a player you know is heated.

Pointing to the reply will get you a T in any league in the world. He may have bumped him as well. That also will get you a T in any league in the world. Pointing and bumping will therefore, get you a T in any league in the world. Unless you play for Duke. Then, the ref says he is sorry

thats not true at all. I’ve seen plenty of games where half a team and even coaches have pointed to the scoreboard replay. Marek wasn’t even the only one. Buddy was too. And marek didn't bump the ref. I really hope marek used foul language, otherwise that whole sequence was pure BS.

thats not true at all. I’ve seen plenty of games where half a team and even coaches have pointed to the scoreboard replay. Marek wasn’t even the only one. Buddy was too. And marek didn't bump the ref. I really hope marek used foul language, otherwise that whole sequence was pure BS.
I was watching on a phone and thought I was losing my mind. I need a rules refresher or a more unbiased mind. This sequence seemed insane.

Sure. He was called for pointing. JB said so in his presser. And you just can't do that. If one of our players does it the next game, they will get called as well.

Sure. He was called for pointing. JB said so in his presser. And you just can't do that. If one of our players does it the next game, they will get called as well.

You and JB are both wrong. I’ve seen it plenty of times including SU games. If it’s a hard and fast rule then it has to be called 100% of the time. I’ve Ben seen times, and so have you, where someone points to a replay and it has resulted in the refs going to the table to watch a replay.

guys point all the time.. if they called a penalty every time they did it in football they would have to throw half the team out..

there is no way any ref can call a T for someone pointing at a scoreboard. now maybe he pointed and said hey you missed that call.. still its just being a bad ref to call that .

You and JB are both wrong. I’ve seen it plenty of times including SU games. If it’s a hard and fast rule then it has to be called 100% of the time. I’ve Ben seen times, and so have you, where someone points to a replay and it has resulted in the refs going to the table to watch a replay.
yup.. this was a ref pissed that he was being called out for missing a call. guys point all the time on plays like who the ball was off..

The flagrant on the foul on Buddy is a subjective judgment call. Could go either way. Personally I didn’t think it was a flagrant.

The hook and hold is not subjective. Kind of like elbow contact above the shoulders.

The Wake guy wasn’t even making a play on the ball. He just body checked Buddy from getting to the ball.

Ehhhh I thought it was pretty weak by the ref. He had 3 horrible calls in a row and he knew it. You see kids pointing to the replay all the time on missed calls. I think it was poor by the ref.
1) he missed a call the possession before
2) Marek was clearly in bounds to save the ball when the ref called him out
3) you give a T to Marek who points out the missed call.
Don’t miss multiple calls in a row and this wouldn’t be a problem. In my opinion he just compounded his missed calls by giving Marek a T and fouling him out. Thought it was terrible judgement by the ref. People don’t show up to watch the refs they show up to watch a basketball game and the refs have been starting to make it a lot about them.

yup.. which is why it should have been an intentional. you could see the refs say it was just 2 guys going after a ball which it clearly was not.

I just watched the presser. Eh, JB didn’t say pointing at the video is a technical likes it’s some rule. In fact he said he didn’t think pointing was that bad, but that ref thought so and then said that ref was wrong twice. Marek wasn’t out of bounds and the tech shouldn’t have been called.

There is a difference, and God I hope you know that, from asking a ref to go to the score board and review something and pointing at a score board to show the ref he was wrong. But you stick to that it happens where a player points to a score board to show the ref he was wrong all the time with no consequence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom