What Gottlieb, Us and whats going on at UCLA in the same sentence | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What Gottlieb, Us and whats going on at UCLA in the same sentence

The problem is if Gottleib said he doesnt like orange colored m&m's you would post a rant about it saying he is disrespecting our program.

the dumbest part of the whole thing is how we are lumped in with UCLA, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma in terms of the players we recruit. What about the Morris brothers? at least a team that we are on par with recruiting wise.

How is this even disputed? Syracuse has had seasons derailed by punks on the roster. Anyone who claims otherwise has his head in the sand. Ditto for anyone who claims that Devendorf conducted himself well or was a credit to Syracuse University.

Christ, this Gottlieb obsession is ridiculous. If he goes on the air tonight and claims that Syracuse is likely to get a one seed in the East, people on this board will come on here and contradict him.

Outside of 2001-02 I am trying to think of a season where this happened.

the dumbest part of the whole thing is how we are lumped in with UCLA, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma in terms of the players we recruit. What about the Morris brothers? at least a team that we are on par with recruiting wise.

The difference is that I know for a fact that he has railed on the Morris twins in past years. He rails on different programs every night. Today was just our turn.

Do we forget about that issue with Scoop/Rick/Flynn and a 4th (I think it was Paul) involving a female Scoops freshmann year?

Outside of 2001-02 I am trying to think of a season where this happened.

I imagine UCLA could say the same, outside of the recent troubles. Ditto for Oklahoma's craziness a couple years ago.

We've had a couple teams that, according to certain members of the coaching, spun out of control due to bad character recruits. It's not unique to the four schools Gottlieb mentioned.

In Syracuse's case, I am pretty sure that Boeheim and Hopkins will not let that happen again. What was that Boeheim quote about Dion that Welsh relayed? "I don't want someone like that in my program" or something like that? They're actively avoiding bad character recruits these days, and Boeheim's taking a firmer stand against potential bad apples on the team.

A nice story about the Bland/Brown/Williams bunch from the early aughts.

Rest assured, similar (unpublished) stories about the Devendorf/Flynn/Justin Thomas group are out there (and known to many people who were on campus during that era).

Well I dont need stories about Deshaun...

I am just trying to recall what year Devo/Flynn/Thomas derailed our chances? I mean we went to the Sweet 16 and lost to OU one year, and the year prior we had like 6 guys playing and Devo was hurt.

The difference is that I know for a fact that he has railed on the Morris twins in past years. He rails on different programs every night. Today was just our turn.

I dont get the constant concern over Gottlieb either. It has never made sense to me.

Listen, I dont hate him like some here do but this stuff happens at every bigtime school so to single us out and lump us in with UCLA is a little sketchy in my mind.

I wasn't directing that at you as much. But I think it's a fair comparison. SU is very high profile, and some of our recent (past decade) troubles are open secrets among some members of the press. The Seth Davises and Doug Gottliebs know about troubles on those '01-'02, '04-'05, and '07-'09 teams.

I imagine UCLA could say the same, outside of the recent troubles. Ditto for Oklahoma's craziness a couple years ago.

We've had a couple teams that, according to certain members of the coaching, spun out of control due to bad character recruits. It's not unique to the four schools Gottlieb mentioned.

In Syracuse's case, I am pretty sure that Boeheim and Hopkins will not let that happen again. What was that Boeheim quote about Dion that Welsh relayed? "I don't want someone like that in my program" or something like that? They're actively avoiding bad character recruits these days, and Boeheim's taking a firmer stand against potential bad apples on the team.

I guess the point is that Gottlieb just made a lazy point. Ok we had some bad dudes in 2001...(not sure they were that highly recruited either).

I am trying to think What OU did? Other than having a crazy coach.

What did Georgia Tech do? I know Rice has been an issue...

Well I dont need stories about Deshaun...

I am just trying to recall what year Devo/Flynn/Thomas derailed our chances? I mean we went to the Sweet 16 and lost to OU one year, and the year prior we had like 6 guys playing and Devo was hurt.

OK, "derailed our chances" isn't accurate. Both the team was a mess during the Flynn era (and in a couple seasons before that). A lot of those guys were brawlers, and there was almost a sense that 2009's Sweet Sixteen was a bonus - in the middle of that season, it was clear that the coaching staff had lost the attention of a few of those guys.

But to have him and Deshaun williams in the same sentence is not right at all

Eric and DeShaun were about equals in terms of character, the main difference being that JB didn't want DW on the 2002-03 team, so he employed the 'give him enough rope' theory... DW's transgressions ended up being more public as a result.

Do we forget about that issue with Scoop/Rick/Flynn and a 4th (I think it was Paul) involving a female Scoops freshmann year?

I think that was a walk-on or manager. I know it wasn't Harris.

But your point stands. It was a wild group. Remarkable that Rick and Scoop (and everyone else who has stayed) have become part of such a turnaround since then.

Gottleib's ratings go up 400% everytime he mentions Syracuse negatively. You're giving him what he wants aka feeding the troll. He could have a closet full of SU gear but ratings are ratings.

I guess the point is that Gottlieb just made a lazy point. Ok we had some bad dudes in 2001...(not sure they were that highly recruited either).

I am trying to think What OU did? Other than having a crazy coach.

What did Georgia Tech do? I know Rice has been an issue...

I think he was referring to the Oklahoma situation of a year or two ago that got Capel fired. He brought in Tiny Gallon and a couple other bad guys and the whole thing melted down.

No clue about Tech; that's news to me. But the more respected members of the press do learn a lot more than I do. Coaches are pretty open with some of them.

Eric and DeShaun were about equals in terms of character.

I will admit I dont know everything there is to know about Devo, but this seems almost impossible to me... Eric seemed at least human.

I think he was referring to the Oklahoma situation of a year or two ago that got Capel fired. He brought in Tiny Gallon and a couple other bad guys and the whole thing melted down.

No clue about Tech; that's news to me. But the more respected members of the press do learn a lot more than I do. Coaches are pretty open with some of them.

Would have been funny if Gottlieb had mentioned ND...

OK, "derailed our chances" isn't accurate. Both the team was a mess during the Flynn era (and in a couple seasons before that). A lot of those guys were brawlers, and there was almost a sense that 2009's Sweet Sixteen was a bonus - in the middle of that season, it was clear that the coaching staff had lost the attention of a few of those guys.

The middle portion of the 2009 season was a DISASTER that many people seem to conveniently forget... they put it together with the late win at Marquette and of course the BET was magical...

Besides the incidents already mentioned, a couple come to mind: the constant non-stop Edelin drama (culminating in the Edelin/Wrights incident preceding the Vermont game but also including the summer 02 Edelin/Konecny mess, his string of AWOLs, etc, etc)... Louie McCroskey fighting with Boeheim. Scoop's uncle, etc.

outside of the Fab issues, we've been relatively drama-free the last 3 seasons, which has been nice. I don't think it's any coincidence that we're 87-14 over that stretch. Generally speaking the collective focus of the last 3 teams has been much better without the off-court drama.

One of the guys I play hoops with is friends with a former assistant on Capel's staff... he's had some interesting (and not too flattering) things to say about the Gallon situation.

Gottlieb on SC was talking about what was going on at UCLA mess and he said listen when you go to the final four and your recruit and get higher caliber players your going to get get some bad character guys.

He mentions we seen this at Oklahoma, Georgia Tech, and at Syracuse.

Screw you Gottlieb, bad character what about a dude who a top program recruits and that dude steals his roomate credit card. Who might that be

We had the dude who had beef with Shumpert and was a bad dude who i wont mention his name, but who else Devo had an edge to him he wasnt a bad guy. Paul Harris not a chance, drove us crazy on the court with his decisions but he wasnt a bad character guy.

Somebody who was watching, SC this morning and saw the segment would agree. I was watching it with my roomates and we almost threw the tv out the window.

Dont put us in the sentence with the absoulute mess at UCLA, and by the way Gottlieb all those teams you mentioned fired thier head coaches, and are an absolute dumpster fire. When were we ever the a dumpster fire like those.
!

How old are you?

I think that was a walk-on or manager. I know it wasn't Harris.

But your point stands. It was a wild group. Remarkable that Rick and Scoop (and everyone else who has stayed) have become part of such a turnaround since then.

They were 1st semester freshmen. Lots of people go crazy. But I really only know the one story. I'm sure if everything they did was as public, I'd be equally surprised.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Besides the incidents already mentioned, a couple come to mind: the constant non-stop Edelin drama (culminating in the Edelin/Wrights incident preceding the Vermont game but also including the summer 02 Edelin/Konecny mess, his string of AWOLs, etc, etc)... Louie McCroskey fighting with Boeheim. Scoop's uncle, etc.

Really, it's entirely possible that the 2001 Billy/Konecny situation was exacerbated by the absence of veteran leadership on that toxic team). I don't know a ton of specifics, other than Billy's questionable charge and some rumors about extra-curriculars, but I doubt Williams and Shumpert did anything to improve the situation.

People forget about 2004-2005 (though I regard that as far and away the greatest missed opportunity of the aughts), but that was a team whose season ended too quickly amid some discipline problems. As you mentioned, Billy had already quit and been suspended, but he and the Wrights were left behind in Syracuse for the NCAAs. I know very few specifics about all of that, but coaches and members of the press have alluded to the fact that that team had some long-simmering problems.

One of the guys I play hoops with is friends with a former assistant on Capel's staff... he's had some interesting (and not too flattering) things to say about the Gallon situation.

That sounded like a horrible mess. I kind of felt bad for Capel.

The middle portion of the 2009 season was a DISASTER that many people seem to conveniently forget... they put it together with the late win at Marquette and of course the BET was magical...

outside of the Fab issues, we've been relatively drama-free the last 3 seasons, which has been nice. I don't think it's any coincidence that we're 87-14 over that stretch. Generally speaking the collective focus of the last 3 teams has been much better without the off-court drama.
you are 100% right. 2008-2009 was a disaster in the making and it just worked out in the end.

That sounded like a horrible mess. I kind of felt bad for Capel.

Don't. Capel hung all his assistants out to dry when the heat came down; most of them have been blacklisted, even though they advised him not to recruit Gallon. His top assistant told him that he would regret it from day one. From what I've heard, Capel is a total <------->.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom