What I love most about this team... | Syracusefan.com

What I love most about this team...

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
SU is 26-1, and I don't believe they have peaked yet.

They can get better.

Yes, there are glaring flaws on this team. Flaws that can be taken advantage of against the right matchup on a fateful night where everything seems to go against us. But they are flaws that I think can be improved upon between now and March 15th.

Despite our recent shooting woes, I still consider Triche, Waiters, Joseph, Southerland, and even Scoop good three-point shooters. When they square up and stroke uncontested outside jumpers, I have confidence that they will go in. And I think eventually, they will start falling more consistently.

I like that Melo is emerging more and more on offense. I think he can become even more involved offensively with each game, providing at least a resemblance of a low-post threat that can open it up for the guards and forwards on the outside, or backdoor passes beneath the basket.

I think Waiters' drives to the basket late in games will start falling more consistently, and will result in 2 points more often than not.

This team will never be a great rebounding team, but they've shown that they can crash the boards when they really put forth the effort.

I believe Rak and MCW will continue to develop (or in Rak's case, stop regressing) and give at least a little bit in each game, and by tournament time can each be valuable assets.

I'm hoping the team takes a couple days off to rest their bodies and get their minds off basketball and on studies and other things, then come back fully refreshed for the final stretch of the regular season.

The most important thing right now is to remain healthy and to not burn out - speaking both physically and mentally.

The kids seem to be pulling for each other even when they are not playing and that speaks volumes regarding the senior leadership of this team along with the character of the players. I like the fact that they can have breakdowns in certain areas but still pull out wins and on the road to boot. I remember in some years past once the offense broke down the game was lost, this years group has a lot of fight and talent.

IT is so bizarre that all of them have gone cold from outside simultaneously. Perhaps all of the shooters are a little streaky, and with so many options, they have each backed off because they're not hitting. When one of them just needs to keep firing instead of all of them just here and there.

IT is so bizarre that all of them have gone cold from outside simultaneously. Perhaps all of the shooters are a little streaky, and with so many options, they have each backed off because they're not hitting. When one of them just needs to keep firing instead of all of them just here and there.

I believe SU is playing against good defensive teams and they are not getting those open 3's in transition due to the lack of fast breaks because of rebounding and lack of steals. The 3's are more contested and though they are missing some open 3's the mental part of it seems to be playing a part as well.

I believe SU is playing against good defensive teams and they are not getting those open 3's in transition due to the lack of fast breaks because of rebounding and lack of steals. The 3's are more contested and though they are missing some open 3's the mental part of it seems to be playing a part as well.

The fact that they are contested I think has more to do with it than anything. We often settle for 3s with a defender barely a foot away with a hand in the face. Why scoop doesn't drive and dish more often is beyond me (since he can drive, but misses more layups/finger rolls/5 footers than any D1 Bball player should). When scoop drives and gets the D to collapse, he should always be looking to dish rather than forcing ugly shots that rarely go in. Anyone else notice that when KJo was on fire from 3 in the GTown game, they were almost all uncontested shots and he was open because of Scoop's drives?

Sometimes their spacing is a bit crowded and that is one thing I love about Fair, he goes to the open space well and that frees up the others as they have to make a decision jump out on him, lose a wing or leave Fab to stop him. I'd like to see a few more passes from Fair to Fab in a high low type situation.

One think I've noticed is that defensive players are staying right on Joseph and Triche and forcing them to go left. Scoop and Waiters have very good crossovers and can go left but those two are struggling going left. Another thin I'd like to see is for Kris to go to the basket quicker, not all the time but he's been slow on his breakdown and the defense has figured out this move.

I like the drive and dish too.

There are lots of things to like about this team -- 3 point shooting isn't one of them (despite the success against UConn). Rebounding isn't one of them -- we can hold our own, but aren't dominating. Realistically, the Big East isn't loaded this year -- something we need to keep in mind when assessing how we stand.

The key factors are balance, defense, and transition points. Getting scoring from 5 or 6 guys is something we take for granted -- a lot of teams don't have that. Teams have to respect Melo as an offensive threat -- last night we were leaving Louisville's center unguarded when he moved to the foul line. We challenge shots, we trap, we usually prevent the dribble drive. Our sophs are still getting better -- really likely that Melo's best game is yet to come.

Sometimes their spacing is a bit crowded and that is one thing I love about Fair, he goes to the open space well and that frees up the others as they have to make a decision jump out on him, lose a wing or leave Fab to stop him. I'd like to see a few more passes from Fair to Fab in a high low type situation.

One think I've noticed is that defensive players are staying right on Joseph and Triche and forcing them to go left. Scoop and Waiters have very good crossovers and can go left but those two are struggling going left. Another thin I'd like to see is for Kris to go to the basket quicker, not all the time but he's been slow on his breakdown and the defense has figured out this move.

I like the drive and dish too.

Unfortunately, KJo has a very slow first step.. so, his moves to the basket require a lot of room and about 4 seconds to complete. He has no back to the basket game and he doesn't really have that CJ knack around the hoop or at the foul line. He pretty much is what he is...a jump shooter.

Unfortunately, KJo has a very slow first step.. so, his moves to the basket require a lot of room and about 4 seconds to complete. He has no back to the basket game and he doesn't really have that CJ knack around the hoop or at the foul line. He pretty much is what he is...a jump shooter.
Interesting comment, because a couple of years ago, most saw KJo as a great slasher with a weak jump shot.
KJo isn't crafty in the way CJ can be (or Rick Jackson last year), and he won't overpower defenders. But he is a good slasher and can finish when he doesn't over-dribble. Don't want to see him staying at the perimeter and launching 3s -- needs to keep that balance.

Good post.

IMO all the pieces are there for a championship if our players play to the levels they can play. Only thing missing is a true PF.

There are lots of things to like about this team -- 3 point shooting isn't one of them (despite the success against UConn). Rebounding isn't one of them -- we can hold our own, but aren't dominating. Realistically, the Big East isn't loaded this year -- something we need to keep in mind when assessing how we stand.

The key factors are balance, defense, and transition points. Getting scoring from 5 or 6 guys is something we take for granted -- a lot of teams don't have that. Teams have to respect Melo as an offensive threat -- last night we were leaving Louisville's center unguarded when he moved to the foul line. We challenge shots, we trap, we usually prevent the dribble drive. Our sophs are still getting better -- really likely that Melo's best game is yet to come.

Early in the season, I was worried about interior scoring and rebounding. Our rebounding has been spotty, but as evidenced by last night, SU is able to get the ball inside -- even against a zone.

SU is 26-1, and I don't believe they have peaked yet.
The most important thing right now is to remain healthy and to not burn out - speaking both physically and mentally.

abso- SU -lutely!

Great post. I think that the good news regarding burnout is our schedule is great going forward. Our games are very well-spaced out. Our last two games are literally a week apart. This will give us plenty of time to work on things. It will let JB work on some of our deficiencies. I realize playing Louisville and UConn again on the road will not be easy but at least we have plenty of days off.

I hope our guys use these days to improve on the court and get their course work done as well.

One other thing I will add is that I disagree with you on Rak and MCW come tourney time. They will only be used out of absolute neccessity. They both will play against Rutgers and South Florida but not in the NCAAs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom