What I'm hearing | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t really say this is true. It’s really no different than man to man: you just need to have a certain baseline of athleticism to make it work but if you’re not an elite athlete you have to rely on intelligence to be good. Cooney obviously was not an elite athlete but he was very good in the zone for us. Likewise, you can find relatively mediocre athletes that have been good man to man defenders. Unfortunately we’ve built our roster around guys that don’t have relatively mediocre athleticism. 4 of our 5 starters have poor athleticism.
JMO, but think it’s much easier to have a guy 6’4” playing man against a 6’7-6’8 forward than it is playing the back line of the zone. Smaller guys always seem to get the benefit of doubt from the officials than bigger guys so they can be physical playing man.

In zone(which tends to be more passive) we are susceptible to the lob pass and we are automatically at a rebounding disadvantage because players aren’t manned up.

he’s not transferring, simple as that
This is the ostritch thinking I was talking about. You also posted that Benny leaving was 0%. So you know these things, okay my bad.

When has JB ever said anything tough criticism publicly about Buddy?

Jesse can get tough love publicly but Buddy can’t?

First off he shouldn’t rip any kid publicly but if he won’t rip some kids at all then shut up about our best player.

No, it was his habit of criticizing Jesse for not covering corner shooters well enough, when Jimmy wasn't covering anyone at all. It was the criticism of players who are not his sons, when his sons had crap games that would rub someone the wrong way.
Ever been married?

I guess so, but it's risky as hell.
I would rather see a Pitino-Rental as the bridge to the future home run, big money hire.

This nostalgia crap hire is going to land us in a bad, bad place as a program.
Wouldn't Pitino be a nostalgia crap hire?

Except our centers aren’t asked to do all that each possession. Everything is based on the zones rotations. Why don’t our centers try to covert he corner 3 all the time? They don’t. But at times they are depending on many factors in the zone.
And yet somehow, it was always Jesse getting blamed for not doing the right thing.

Come on. JB's public comments about Jesse's shortcomings have been ridiculous.

Which isn’t a good thing, because basketball has changed greatly over the years and continues to do so.
No one’s going to do anything about it. The only real solution is to not watch the pressers.

No one’s going to do anything about it. The only real solution is to not watch the pressers.
That is acceptance of terrible bully behavior.
Sorry I can’t do that.

Belichick is a jerk to the media. He never rips a player negatively.
JB’s wife is why he can’t say anything hard on his kids but Jesse isn’t family so go ahead.

If Belichick ripped JC Jackson after a game but left Mac Jones alone I would tell him to shut up and those are pros.

That is acceptance of terrible bully behavior.
Sorry I can’t do that.

Belichick is a jerk to the media. He never rips a player negatively.
JB’s wife is why he can’t say anything hard on his kids but Jesse isn’t family so go ahead.

If Belichick ripped JC Jackson after a game but left Mac Jones alone I would tell him to shut up and those are pros.
JB’s behavior has been accepted for decades. That’s fine if you can’t accept it. Making this point more than twice accomplishes nothing other than stressing yourself out.

But it’s ok to bully the media? Noted.

JB’s behavior has been accepted for decades. That’s fine if you can’t accept it. Making this point more than twice accomplishes nothing other than stressing yourself out.

But it’s ok to bully the media? Noted.
Bully the media if they are trying stir the pot.
The local media for Belichick hate him because he doesn’t fill their notebooks.
JB fills the notebooks for local media here.

If JB ripped on the media but left his players alone I wouldn’t care one bit but he bullies media like Donna D because he can and will rip players.
It’s not 1992 anymore.
Kids today aren’t like even a decade ago.
More progressive adults are growing up and having kids.
It’s not boomers raising kids now it’s Gen X and millennials.

You can’t be a jerk. JB shouldn’t even do the PCs anymore they don’t help anybody. Just have an AD employee talk with JB postgame and put out a statement.

That would be fine.

Bully the media if they are trying stir the pot.
The local media for Belichick hate him because he doesn’t fill their notebooks.
JB fills the notebooks for local media here.

If JB ripped on the media but left his players alone I wouldn’t care one bit but he bullies media like Donna D because he can and will rip players.
It’s not 1992 anymore.
Kids today aren’t like even a decade ago.
More progressive adults are growing up and having kids.
It’s not boomers raising kids now it’s Gen X and millennials.

You can’t be a jerk. JB shouldn’t even do the PCs anymore they don’t help anybody. Just have an AD employee talk with JB postgame and put out a statement.

That would be fine.
It would be fine. And it’s never going to happen.

Everything you’ve said makes perfect sense. JB’s still not changing. It stops when he retires.

The reality is with the transfer portal and one and dones, the coaches have to continuously recruit both new players and EXISTING players. You have to make a case for them to stay for the next year instead of the portal.

It is no longer sign on the NLI and you are here for four years.

Red is highly respected by AAU coaches. I just don't know that there is that it factor when he walks in to a gym. honestly, and G and Griff are true Orangemen and deserve our love, but I would hope they would both find greener pastures and have Red go out and get two rainmaker recruiters. As for making Gerry the next coach, how can they sell that when Red is higher than he is on the pecking order right now?
They can’t. It’s impossible and irrational.

Boeheim had 6K views on YouTube after UNC and 12K views after Duke. It's not exactly the last episode of M*A*S*H.

I'm amazed how literal people take those things like JB isn't in these kids ears all week long. And somehow these other coaches across America are some kind of warm cuddly blanket.

I just clicked Dana Altman after a loss - in two minutes he mentioned two kids couldn't guard a guy, he drew up a right play but the guy missed a shot, and Quincy was out of position...it's just who these guys are.

Not to mention JB knows these kids and has a better idea than we do what might motivate them v. embarrass them than we could ever have. And his kids are definitely going to be treated differently in that regard because they have to live with him and the contact he is afforded to them by virtue of being their parent that he does not have to other kids as their coach.

Look at what Wildhack has done at SU from an HR perspective. Everything points to creative continuity within the organization.

Let’s start with Lax. Certainly it was an unusual situation, but he hired within the existing department, and bolstered the staff with a well financed support staff with Petro. It likely all started with a “it’s time” discussion with Desko. Measured, smart, efficient, but bold restructuring, (woman’s lax, was also the best qualified Syracuse connection available).

Now football. Again, program continuity preserved with creative and well-financed support with the hire of the new assistants.

I think we agree, all these make a lot of sense from not only the ADs perspective, but from fans as well.

Woman’s hoops. Perhaps a shaky initial response to Q’s issues, but paving the way for Leggette to come back looks like again the best available Syracuse connect will be the choice here. Hard to argue with hire.

Why do people think he’s going to change his MO for hoops?

My guess is Hop gets the first call and if it’s a no, then it’s Red and the assistant coaching staff gets overhauled with an emphasis on recruiting and likely an experienced former HC, sorta like what Michigan did with Martelli.
Great observations, Jake. The argument that JW will maintain continuity in hoops makes sense, though I don’t agree with the assessment if that’s where he lands. One question though: Why would Hop not jump at the chance to return? Unless he actually turns things around at UW next season, he very well may be fired. Why not go back to your beloved alma mater where you know the staff, the program and the recruiting landscape so well and try to take a shot at fixing the issues in the program and getting us back to top 25 finishes? UW and west coach recruiting has huge challenges and isn’t easy to navigate. Some many of his connections are on the East coast and he’s built up a lot of loyalty in the high school and AAU world. If he returns to the East Coast and actually gets to run the Syracuse program his way, I think he’d crush it in recruiting and in the portal.

If this is accurate, and I’m assuming it is, we are in way more trouble than I had initially thought even with Mintz.

We have a LOT of work to do with retention and in the portal or at least two of this frosh class has to be wildly underrated.
Other posters have Jesse at 90 percent returning. Frank is basically a redshirt freshman. He should also stay and he’ll basically start as a Junior.

Benny not being in the Dome for the game today can’t be a good sign.

The problem with having very good athletes for the zone is that you still have to score. In todays game that means being able to shoot the 3 and more. Put the 2 together and you have a very special requirement: Being able to shoot, pass, handle, as well as being long and athletic. Good luck.
It seemed easy for 40yrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors