What I'm hearing | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which defense works with unathletic kids?
Duh, this one...

how-to-play-defense-in-basketball_o_1246183.jpg

I think his point is that even though we might be doing a national search don’t be surprised if the interest isn’t there. Ultimately it will end back at hop. Doesn’t mean we didn’t try but the candidate pool won’t be as robust as we all think it will be.
Interesting. My main takeaway was that even Kentucky doesn't know what will happen or who will be available and attractive when that "something" happens. Coaches come out of nowhere to become instant darlings and others fall out of favor just as quickly.
National search, hiring from within, etc. Those are just words used by ADs to justify their next selected coach and deflect any expected criticism of their hire, or phrases by posters who are lining up their weapons to skewer the AD for the hire depending on which way he goes.
The truth is that, other than about 3-4 coaches, we won't know how good of a coach he will be.

It shouldn't be just a national.search, it should be at least a North American search, better yet a global search. Best if it's an intergalactic search.
Then we need a coaching staff who can make the Kessel run in a decent time and I don't know if there are any candidates out there with those qualifications.

Which defense works with unathletic kids?
Whichever one it is, that's the one this team should run, that way you don't have to worry about having athletic kids.

Also, the football team should scheme their wide receivers open. Why doesn't every team just do that? ;)

Ran into an old friend/client last night who’s pretty well-connected in the world of professional and college sports. He gave me 2 SU-related nuggets:

1. JB will step down after the ‘22-‘23 season. His successor is already on the staff.

2. Babers is on thin ice. Wildhack reached out to Marrone as recently as a few months ago regarding the HC job, but Marrone was not interested.

Flame away.

Last edited:
Ran into an old friend/client last night who’s pretty well-connected in the world of professional and college sports. He gave me 2 SU-related nuggets:

1. JB will step down after the ‘22-‘23 roster. His successor is already on the staff.

2. Babers is on thin ice. Wildhack reached out to Marrone as recently as a few months ago regarding the HC job, but Marrone was not interested.

Flame away.
1655655443097.gif

1. JB will step down after the ‘22-‘23 roster. His successor is already on the staff.

Flame away.

Will see what happens. No opinion to add but nothing really surprising with any of that tbh.

1. JB will step down after the ‘22-‘23 season. His successor is already on the staff.

Flame away.
I think that’s probably bad news for basketball. This is our chance to pivot away from the zone and JB ISO ball.

It’s unfortunate for football because Marrone 2.0 would kill it here with the money getting poured into football facilities and staff.

I think that’s probably bad news for basketball. This is our chance to pivot away from the zone and JB ISO ball.

It’s unfortunate for football because Marrone 2.0 would kill it here with the money getting poured into football facilities and staff.
Well, some folks on here have stated the "the staff" has tried to get JB to change things... but in general, I agree.

Ya, it’s possible that whoever it is coaches differently than JB but odds are they are similar.

But will JB be similar this year and who else does Wildhack have in mind for football if the team tanks?

Flame away.

I can't wait to hear Dougie give this speech again:

Also heard yesterday from someone closely connected to the staff, university, and players and he also made the comment that the next coach is currently on the staff. He didn’t mention a timeframe. The name he mentioned is not a surprise but it’s not the person many have been saying and some have been fearing.

Also heard yesterday from someone closely connected to the staff, university, and players and he also made the comment that the next coach is currently on the staff. He didn’t mention a timeframe. The name he mentioned is not a surprise but it’s not the person many have been saying and some have been fearing.
I would fear the optics if it's GMAC over Red, as Red has more experience and has seniority on the staff.

But will JB be similar this year and who else does Wildhack have in mind for football if the team tanks?

I think the Virginia boys might be elevated if Babers is replaced. I have to think that was a big part of why they agreed to come here, especially since Wildhack is pouring so much money into an analytics program for the first time. Why do that if they might be gone in a year?

None of our assistants have gotten offers to be HCs at smaller programs have they?
Hopkins was offered Charlotte, St.Bonaventure.

Which of Red, Gerry, Allen are most likely to get an offer this offseason?
We don’t necessarily hear about offers by other programs until after they accept it. Most schools don’t like nor want to be publicized for losing a coach they offered. When you do hear about a coach not accepting an offer, it’s not from the offering program but leaked from the agent of a coach or the coach himself, who wants to promote getting other offers. In the cases of coaches, it’s can also be hear-say from someone who spots them in airports or seen by someone on a foreign campus.

I bet most here don’t publicize to co-workers, their employers that they are interviewing for a job they may or may not accept. The company who might offer you but you reject, I doubt would ever make it widely known either. . Only common sense.

Flame away.

I don’t believe the Marrone rumor at all. Burned too many bridges including with some donors. Everything else is plausible.

It would be horrible news.

And would be a surprising indictment of JW's strategic acumen as the executive leader of the athletic department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom