What I'm hearing | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

What I'm hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think he's leaving Providence. He's from there and so is his wife, she's a well-known and popular police officer with the Providence PD. They're part of the fabric of that city, just not seeing him walk away from that.
Didn't know his wife was a cop. I mean Roy Williams was part of the lawrence Kansas fabric. Same with a lot of guys that leave. Providence is a great city but very tough place to win. Syracuse is just the better job.

Please cite where I have said any such thing. Please send where a thoughtful person could say I said or hinted any such thing. You can't because I didn't. Your take on me saying any such thing is a ridiculous take. I think Syracuse is a great job. It is not North Carolina or Duke. Or Kentucky. But still a great job. Not to mention that I have argued just the opposite on this board to what you are claiming. As long as we pay at a rate that is competitive with any other top tier program, we can get a top level coach. Getting someone to leave another top tier program is a different story for a number of reasons however.
Not to pile on or anything but my door dash order did not show up today at my office. I feel like you were behind it. Thanks for nothing.

Didn't know his wife was a cop. I mean Roy Williams was part of the lawrence Kansas fabric. Same with a lot of guys that leave. Providence is a great city but very tough place to win. Syracuse is just the better job.
I didn't know that Ed was previously an assistant at SU or had attended SU as an undergrad or was originally from NY state.

I didn't know that Ed was previously an assistant at SU or had attended SU as an undergrad or was originally from NY state.
If you made a list of guys who were asst bball and fball coaches here it might be the most impressive list ever compiled. Goats and first ballet hof on the list.

I don’t think he's leaving Providence. He's from there and so is his wife, she's a well-known and popular police officer with the Providence PD. They're part of the fabric of that city, just not seeing him walk away from that.
SU is not hiring this guy. Providence will pay him close if not equal to what SU offers and family is everything to him. He stays at Providence for the same reasons that JB has stayed at SU

SU is not hiring this guy. Providence will pay him close if not equal to what SU offers and family is everything to him. He stays at Providence for the same reasons that JB has stayed at SU
Not sure I buy that. JB stayed at SU because there was no limit to winning. We were a/the premier team in the league and often a top 10 and top 20 team. Providence is always going to be a tier below. SU is an advancement for Cooley.

I‘m sure Brian Kelly was part of the fabric in South Bend, but now he’s doing press with a southern accent.

Not sure I buy that. JB stayed at SU because there was no limit to winning. We were a/the premier team in the league and often a top 10 and top 20 team. Providence is always going to be a tier below. SU is an advancement for Cooley.

I‘m sure Brian Kelly was part of the fabric in South Bend, but now he’s doing press with a southern accent.
Good post but i dont believe Brian has the same sense of family and or community that Jim or Ed have.

Good post but i dont believe Brian has the same sense of family and or community that Jim or Ed have.
How do you know the sense of community that he has?If I had a nickel for every time I heard a coach say how much he loves a place and then bolts.

How do you know the sense of community that he has?If I had a nickel for every time I heard a coach say how much he loves a place and then bolts.
Right.
The other thing is that there's a common assumption that a person wants to stay where they are, or where they grew up, or where they have family, or whatever. That's not the case for everyone. While there can be 'comfort' or familiarity or what have you when you get to live/work 'at home,' personally, i chose to live in places quite different, and never with any consideration to any of those factors.

Not that i'm advocating for Cooley, but, just the idea—I don't know what providence is like, but if you're in any profession and you have a chance to take a premier job in a more prestigious environment, if you're serious about achieving all you can... you sorta have to consider it. Even if it means you have to get used to a different Olive Garden. Wifey can make Police Chief in Syracuse and hunt down the mofos who stuck up Juli. [Did they ever catch those kids?]

Cooley didn't go to Syracuse and play for and coach with JB. Roy was always a loaner to KU.

If this class we are bringing in is any good, the next guy is on campus.

No

Gosh dangit you got sompen der

If Cooley were to come and had a bad first season the entire fanbase would demand a change ASAP.

He can have off years at PC and not worry about job security.

Roy Williams was born in North Carolina, went to high school in North Carolina, played for North Carolina, was a head coach at a North Carolina high school, was an assistant at North Carolina. He was at Kansas for 15 years (Dean Smith’s alma mater by the way) and throughout his time there were constant rumors that he was the obvious heir at North Carolina after Dean Smith’s 1997 retirement which he did in 2003. North Carolina has hired 5 consecutive continuity head coaches who were already assistants there since 1961, thus the past 61 years. Sorry but not a relevant comparison with Cooley at all.

If we look at some other programs moving on from legendary coaches in the recent pass, all indications point to GMac, Red or Hop stepping in. I mean you have Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC, Neptune at Nova, Ollie at Uconn. I really can’t see how it plays out any differently.

If we look at some other programs moving on from legendary coaches in the recent pass, all indications point to GMac, Red or Hop stepping in. I mean you have Scheyer at Duke, Davis at UNC, Neptune at Nova, Ollie at Uconn. I really can’t see how it plays out any differently.

The difference of course being that all of those three programs were performing at a high level, and thus had a reason to strive for continuity. So hiring from within [even Neptune, who was at another program but had previous ties to Nova] made sense.

Our program is mired in an extended period of decline. We need to reverse that trend, not strive to maintain the status quo.

Uh, all of those programs had consistent success and winning occurring -
so naturally they’d go with a continuity hire.

We’ve had 8 straight years of meh regular seasons, capped by our first losing season in over FIVE DECADES.

What part of that current trajectory would any same person want to continue?

The difference of course being that all of those three programs were performing at a high level, and thus had a reason to strive for continuity. So hiring from within [even Neptune, who was at another program but had previous ties to Nova] made sense.

Our program is mired in an extended period of decline. We need to reverse that trend, not strive to maintain the status quo.
I seem to remember it took a while after Dean Smith retired to get to Roy. It was a bumpy ride in between.

Roy Williams was born in North Carolina, went to high school in North Carolina, played for North Carolina, was a head coach at a North Carolina high school, was an assistant at North Carolina. He was at Kansas for 15 years (Dean Smith’s alma mater by the way) and throughout his time there were constant rumors that he was the obvious heir at North Carolina after Dean Smith’s 1997 retirement which he did in 2003. North Carolina has hired 5 consecutive continuity head coaches who were already assistants there since 1961, thus the past 61 years. Sorry but not a relevant comparison with Cooley at all.
Cooley was born in Providence and went to HS in Providence. Providence is his home.

Cooley did consider leaving for Michigan but Cooley has made the program in the modern era and the school is very invested in him and his program.

Uh, all of those programs had consistent success and winning occurring -
so naturally they’d go with a continuity hire.

We’ve had 8 straight years of meh regular seasons, capped by our first losing season in over FIVE DECADES.

What part of that current trajectory would any same person want to continue?
If JB had left after the 2nd probation, as he should have we could have gone with Hop.
Now with 8 average at best years its time to go outside, the current group, we need to find a new direction.
The 80's we played exciting fast paced basketball which was a joy to watch.
JB got old forgot what made the program one the the nations best.

I probably should have given a better example than Roy but there are lots of coaches who enrich themselves into a city and then leave.

My whole thing is how many games did Hubert Davis win as a college coach before he got the gig? ZERO. They could have gone anywhere and they hired within.
Jon Scheyer has won ZERO games as a head coach and they could have gotten anyone and they hired within and recruiting is at an all time high for them

People that think Syracuse is going to land a coach who makes millions of dollars more at other schools are completely delusional.

I’m not saying Red is the best choice but you don’t know what you don’t know. And when you look at 2 programs like Duke and UNC who could pay anyone in the world and get anyone in the world, how can you not say it’s okay to hire from within? And we aren’t them, they have more resources more money more prestige and yet they chose to stay in house. I’m putting some merit into that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom