What we are learning about the big east is eveyone | Syracusefan.com

What we are learning about the big east is eveyone

Besides wvu flat out sucks, Cinci ia average at best

The rest of this league is currently conference USA level. Seriously.

Ive already started watching more ACC football (UVA and Ga tech currently in a battle on ESpNU)

The rest of this league is currently conference USA level. Seriously.

Ive already started watching more ACC football (UVA and Ga tech currently in a battle on ESpNU)

Me too, this

Besides wvu flat out sucks, Cinci ia average at best

And that our loss to the Girls is more painful now than ever. This league is there for the taking. I hope we get healthy and get our act together the rest of the way.

that loss was painful, brutal, and is going to bite us in the ass somehow this season

And that our loss to the Girls is more painful now than ever. This league is there for the taking. I hope we get healthy and get our act together the rest of the way.

It definitely took away the biggest Dome game in years.

I know you are not just learning that now. ;)

44cuse

We have a chance v. Cincy, L'ville, UConn and USF for and eight win season.

I didn't feel that way in the beginning of the year.

Gotta improve!

had we beat rutgers - this place and fanbase would be much more optimistic and upbeat, even after that Tulane two step

had we beat rutgers - this place and fanbase would be much more optimistic and upbeat, even after that Tulane two step

If we had beat Rutgers then this Fridays game vs WV might have had close to 48,000+ in attendance and people on this site and in town would be looking at possible hotels in Miami, FL for the first week of January and Orange Bowl events to attend. Tell me I'm wrong?

Ps3 or Xbox?
If we had beat Rutgers then this Fridays game vs WV might have had close to 48,000+ in attendance and people on this site and in town would be looking at possible hotels in Miami, FL for the first week of January and Orange Bowl events to attend. Tell me I'm wrong?
PS3 or Xbox?

Your wrong. The attendance would have been about the same regardless. If people don't get excited after a winning season and an exciting bowl game, they weren't going to just show up b/c we beat rutgers.

Your wrong. The attendance would have been about the same regardless. If people don't get excited after a winning season and an exciting bowl game, they weren't going to just show up b/c we beat rutgers.

People were excited,...then they saw the team play. And the excitement went away!

And being 5-1 and unbeaten in the conference (THIS CONFERENCE ESPECIALLY) would have meant a legit shot at winning the conference with the biggest home game of the year on the horizon. People would have eat that up around here. Now its "just another game" in the eyes of the casual fan.

People were excited,...then they saw the team play. And the excitement went away!

And being 5-1 and unbeaten in the conference (THIS CONFERENCE ESPECIALLY) would have meant a legit shot at winning the conference with the biggest home game of the year on the horizon. People would have eat that up around here. Now its "just another game" in the eyes of the casual fan.

We can agree to disagree, no big deal. There was excitement with the fans at the games at the end of last year when we were about to secure a bowl bid and the next week (can't remember the game) had we won the game we were bowl bound. Nobody showed up, at least no big crowd. I just don't think the average SU fan cares right now if we are almost bowl bound, on a nice winning streak, or have the potential to win the BE; they aren't coming to the game most likely.

The only thing that will/would have brought fans to the game next week is that the game is against WV.

We can agree to disagree, no big deal. There was excitement with the fans at the games at the end of last year when we were about to secure a bowl bid and the next week (can't remember the game) had we won the game we were bowl bound. Nobody showed up, at least no big crowd. I just don't think the average SU fan cares right now if we are almost bowl bound, on a nice winning streak, or have the potential to win the BE; they aren't coming to the game most likely.

The only thing that will/would have brought fans to the game next week is that the game is against WV.
Last year was different. Everyone still had the "same ole Cuse football" team in their mind. Can't compare.

These Friday night games NOT near Labor Day weekend/State Fair like the first Thursday one...you will see much larger crowds. Friday night, party night, weather sucks, people go out anyway on that night. Playing an opponent people care about. It will be a large crowd. IF were were unbeaten in the conference and had a shot to go to a BCS Bowl (with only 1 loss we still do realistically but its not the same as being unbeaten heading into this game) I think they would have packed the house vs WV like we haven't seen in years.

Last year was different. Everyone still had the "same ole Cuse football" team in their mind. Can't compare.

These Friday night games NOT near Labor Day weekend/State Fair like the first Thursday one...you will see much larger crowds. Friday night, party night, weather sucks, people go out anyway on that night. Playing an opponent people care about. It will be a large crowd. IF were were unbeaten in the conference and had a shot to go to a BCS Bowl (with only 1 loss we still do realistically but its not the same as being unbeaten heading into this game) I think they would have packed the house vs WV like we haven't seen in years.

Don't agree. It can compare. Lots of fans still think it's the same ol cuse team and beating Rutgers wouldn't have changed that. If we had beat Rutgers how many average fans that rarely come to a game would have even thought about the fact that beating WV could have meant going to a BCS Bowl. If they thought about it they might have realized it but they don't care that much and it would have never crossed their mind.

If this year and last year were different, the administration wouldn't have to give tickets away to get people into the building. Even with a Rutgers win they would be giving tix away to get a decent crowd.

Just my opinion.

There will definitely be a bigger crowd this weekend for all of the reasons you mentioned. Coming in 5-1, they would have marketed the hell to try to get an Orange-Out sellout. Would have been similar to the Marrone opener against Minnesota. Now? 42k

There will definitely be a bigger crowd this weekend for all of the reasons you mentioned. Coming in 5-1, they would have marketed the hell to try to get an Orange-Out sellout. Would have been similar to the Marrone opener against Minnesota. Now? 42k
Yep! Thats about the number. If SU vs WV both being unbeaten in the conference were the game, MUCH different story.

Syracuse is a front-runner city. You could have marketed that this game a win here and SU is well on their way to a BCS bowl, game on ESPN...people would have turned out for that.

Yep! Thats about the number. If SU vs WV both being unbeaten in the conference were the game, MUCH different story.

Syracuse is a front-runner city. You could have marketed that this game a win here and SU is well on their way to a BCS bowl, game on ESPN...people would have turned out for that.

They could still market it that way we beat WVU we would be the front runner for the BE BCS bid. WVU is the toughest team by far we play in the BE. Given even Lville could beat us the way we play sometimes but, if we beat WVU who is left that we cant beat?

Not saying the rest of the schedule is cupcakes but there is no team i see as being as overpowering as WVU left. We need to win out and hope Rutgers looses atleast 2 games and that willl happen considering how bad there offence is it will catch up to them.

They could still market it that way we beat WVU we would be the front runner for the BE BCS bid. WVU is the toughest team by far we play in the BE. Given even Lville could beat us the way we play sometimes but, if we beat WVU who is left that we cant beat?

Not saying the rest of the schedule is cupcakes but there is no team i see as being as overpowering as WVU left. We need to win out and hope Rutgers looses atleast 2 games and that willl happen considering how bad there offence is it will catch up to them.
Not the same. This is a FRONT-RUNNER city (which isn't a knock, most city's are). Trying to sell people on IF this and IF that then IF this (with a team that has been horrible for a decade), will be impossible. If 5-1 and unbeaten in the conference, you COULD have sold them on WIN this and then you are on your way type of deal.

We have a chance v. Cincy, L'ville, UConn and USF for and eight win season.

I didn't feel that way in the beginning of the year.

Gotta improve!

That's very right. We can win eight and when we look back, most people will not know (or care) how we got there. But the Big East is bad bordering on awful football and has been for awhile.

I read (I think it was Tipphill's) the post earlier longing for the days of pennants and geographical rivalries. I did not have any of that as I am not of that generation. But I have no NFL loyalties because I have what some may call a romanticized notion of college football. I like the pomp and circumstance. I link the traditions and e kids partying and the older generations talking about games from 30+ years ago. That's why I prefer college football. You can get that at Oregon games, Washington games, Michigan, msu, Florida, PSU, etc. Where you can't get that is the Big East. Regardless of how much of that side of things improves in the ACC...

...at least I will not be watching BE football anymore which I personally think has been awful for years. And yes, I do know tha statistically the ACC has been worse at times.

44cuse

These next games will tell us a lot about Marrone and his potential here. Louisville, UConn, USF, and Pitt all stink. Cincy is mediocre and at home. A good HC will get 3 wins or more. A mediocre will get 2. A bad will... well I think Marrone proved last year he isn't a bad HC so let's not even think of that.

It doesn't help that our current class is arguably the 2nd worst in the last 9 years. The only one definitely worse was the lame duck transition year from GRob to Marrone. I know recruiting rankings are highly flawed, but they can't be wrong on all of our guys. Add in the fact that we are pretty much going for kids with MAC offers and it doesn't look good. If we had a system it really wouldn't matter as you recruit to that system. But as of now there appears to be no plan on O.

Exactly right.Every time they build a little excitement,everytime they get a bump in attendance that they might build on,they go out and stink up the joint and just like that,it's all gone.They come in hoping to see a good showing,they LEAVE thinking "this is the same ole cuse team."

I can't believe after what we have been watching for six weeks that anyone can honestly think we will win 8 games. I'm hoping like hell to win 2 so we become bowl eligible. I don't see four wins left on our schedule. Are all the teams beatable? Yes, but winning four with this team would be remarkable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom