What we are missing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What we are missing

So take away the token starters and...

2010 - 7
2011 - 7.5 if you want to count southerland as a .5
2012 - 8 only year we had a great bench and we were still down to 7.5 by tourney time (southerland as a .5 and fab suspension forced jb to play rak)
2013 - 7

So yeah. 7.5 is right in the ballpark

Sure--take away players who started and played every game, and the numbers change.

And Southerland wasn't a .5 in 2012 or 2011.

And why don't you think that happened? Because JB didn't want to have bench depth / shooters / great players in reserve?

Or because those players weren't ready to contribute?

Which do you think is more likely--even given JB's propensity to not have huge rotations?

I think JB ascribes to the theory that a tired CJ is better than a fresh Roberson. And he probably believes cold or not, that the odds of CJ getting hot again are better than Roberson coming in and getting it done. I think a minute here or there would have helped all of them though. It would have helped Roberson's development, and sitting on the bench for a minute and watching the game helps as well at times imo.

He plays to win every game, and at times I do think he hinders the progression of players that would/could be ready to go. I think he's hindered Rak's development a bit. He did Dion no favors his Frosh year. Or MCW for that matter. Sometimes it makes sense, more-so with MCW, sometimes it doesn't in my mind.

I understand why he does it, but I've never agreed with it. I don't think BJ looked ready, but I think Patterson looked serviceable. Certainly not much worse than G, but I'm comfortable with him not settling in for minutes. I do think Roberson at times has looked ready, and maybe not in his first game getting extended run, but overall yes, I do think he could have contributed.

JB, for whatever reason, goes with what he knows. Again, I think he would have been more than happy to bury JG on the bench last year just getting some token minutes barring Southerland's suspension. I think's that's all the evidence you need tbh.

And, Roberson is just as ready to play as Baye...and he's been getting minutes for four years now. :)

RF2044 said:
Sure--take away players who started and played every game, and the numbers change.

And Southerland wasn't a .5 in 2012 or 2011.

So you would like to count the 30 seconds per game that fab and dc2 and rak got in big east play?

So you would like to count the 30 seconds per game that fab and dc2 and rak got in big east play?

Here are the stats for the 2010-2011 season. Fab started that year and averaged 9.9 minutes per game. That's 25% of the available PT.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2011.html

I get that he was a token starter, but at some point the data trumps the truism. We played 9 that year.

Here are the stats for 2011-2012. Rak--the token starter--averaged 11.5 minutes, or ~29% of available PT. I admit that this was inflated slightly by bigger minutes in the four NCAA games he started, but not as much as some like to believe.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/syracuse/2012.html

I only listed 9, which I think is an accurate portrayal of our rotation that year, because MCW wasn't really part of the consistent rotation, but MCW played in 26 games and averaged 10.3 MPG, north of 25%.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, JEC, but the data doesn't back up your position.

Last edited:
we're missing:

- bench productivity/depth
- low post offense
- a 2nd legitimate outside shooting threat
- a guard/SF who can consistently beat their man off of the dribble
Who's the first outside shooting threat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom