What's with Md's playing time? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What's with Md's playing time?

I usually agree with your posts, but this isn’t a bad take.

Are people seriously advocating for our forwards to play guard?

And I disagree he looks overmatched. Missing shots sure, but he did a better job than Carey getting the ball over halfcourt.

If we are going to go all in on trashing Buddy two games in this board has seriously lost any ability to have nuanced takes.

I hear you, but I’d like his dad to give him a seat when it’s clear he’s just out there gunning away. Once he was 0-10 against EWS it was more than time to have him sit for a while.

I’m not trashing him, I think he’ll be a really useful player for us down the road, if he’s a shade under rautins/cooney, we’d all be ecstatic.

But right now he should get the hook quicker when his shots aren’t falling.

People saying buddy and Dolezaj play different positions are missing the point. If Dolezaj comes in for buddy, Brissett moves from the 4 to the 3 and Hughes moves from the 3 to the 2.

People saying buddy and Dolezaj play different positions are missing the point. If Dolezaj comes in for buddy, Brissett moves from the 4 to the 3 and Hughes moves from the 3 to the 2.

I can’t see Hughes playing the two at all this year. I’m not sure if his handle is even as good as Brissetts from what I’ve seen.

I can’t see Hughes playing the two at all this year. I’m not sure if his handle is even as good as Brissetts from what I’ve seen.

When Frank is back and Carey isn’t looking like he’s never been on a basketball court before you are absolutely right, but until then Hughes is capable of giving some minutes at guard which would open up minutes for MD without having to sit either Hughes or Brissett or play MD at Center to do so.

One of the strengths of this roster is supposed to be the versatility of so many of its players. I believe that Hughes can give minutes at guard as capably as MD can give minutes at the center position. I realize we won’t be as strong with the ball as if we had a true guard playing, but while Frank and JC are not operating at 100% I don’t see why it isn’t a viable option especially with OB being reasonably capable with the ball as well.

Last edited:

That’s a good lineup and one I’m sure we’ll see more of come ACC play when Tyus is off the floor.

Hes already played it this year. He came here as a 2, practiced as a 2, then was switched to oracticibgvwith the 3’s at some point last season due to what this years roster was anticipated to be. His handle for a 2 is not bad. He’s not a PG. He gets to the basket pretty well using his handle. Imo his handle is every bit as good as Battles.

Hughes would have had his pocket picked even more than Carey against that press last night.

I like Dolezaj too, but I know how JB is and you guys aren’t going to see Hughes at the two because of A his handle and B the zone.

Marek is going to get about 15 minutes at forward and about 5 at center this year IMO.

We have a lot of players for a change. Chukwu is improved. Sidibe is healthy and Hughes is better.

Once Frank gets back Marek is going to be the 7th/8th guy.

Hes already played it this year. He came here as a 2, practiced as a 2, then was switched to oracticibgvwith the 3’s at some point last season due to what this years roster was anticipated to be. His handle for a 2 is not bad. He’s not a PG. He gets to the basket pretty well using his handle. Imo his handle is every bit as good as Battles.

Yeah I disagree with that. His handle isn’t as nearly as good as Battles.

It doesn’t matter anyway because we see JB isn’t going to play him at the 2 based on these early games.

coach said post presser dolezaj's minutes are going to elijah and oshae. they're the better forwards.

Playing time is a piece of wax, falling on a termite, who's choking on a splinter.

Hughes would have had his pocket picked even more than Carey against that press last night.

I like Dolezaj too, but I know how JB is and you guys aren’t going to see Hughes at the two because of A his handle and B the zone.

Marek is going to get about 15 minutes at forward and about 5 at center this year IMO.

We have a lot of players for a change. Chukwu is improved. Sidibe is healthy and Hughes is better.

Hughes isn’t a PG.

Marek should be the 6th man. He can come in and play the 3, 4, or 5. No way he should be the 8th guy. He’s a Slovakian Army knife off the bench.

coach said post presser dolezaj's minutes are going to elijah and oshae. they're the better forwards.

Right, but when one of them sits MD should be the first guy off the bench.

Hughes isn’t a PG.

No kidding. Either is Battle.

You can’t tell me Hughes would have been successful bringing the ball up against that pressure last night.

Also it appears JB is keeping everyone in their future roles besides Battle whole Frank is out.

Marek is the 3rd forward and 3rd center just in case anyone was confused about that.
marek in the middle might work against morehead. ACC ? good luck !

The subtle “passive-aggressive” shade in this thread is making my hair hurt!
There are some who’re having a real issue, not with the thread’s stated title, but more w/ the “Daddy’s favoring his son w/ PT, even when he sucks” angle they’ve been DYING to initiate.
There were prior attempts to start this line of insidious thinking which were quickly shut down, but let’s not kid ourselves. The “why is BB getting favored treatment” crowd is just getting started.
Buckle up... we’ve got a season full of this particular take coming up! :rolleyes:

Yeah I disagree with that. His handle isn’t as nearly as good as Battles.

It doesn’t matter anyway because we see JB isn’t going to play him at the 2 based on these early games.

In the 2 games and 60 minutes, he has 1 turnover. And it’s not like he doesn’t touch the ball. I think you formed your opinion based in the lemoyne game when he had a few possessions where he tried to get fancy and the ball has ice on it or something. He got crazy and turned it over a few times. His handle is fine for a 2G. And I won’t be surprised to see him play a little 2. He’s not there because he can’t play it but because with all the guards we don’t need him too.

maybe we've all seen the "token" starter thing in the past. counter argument always goes "it's not who starts..." but this time it's the coach's son. so yeah there's gonna be talk here.

Right, but when one of them sits MD should be the first guy off the bench.

Yea, right now SU has five non-centers who have proven they can contribute at the d-1 level: Howard, battle, Hughes, dolezaj, and Brissett. Right now, I think it’s clear those are your best guys. Maybe boeheim or Carey get there, and I hope we use some of these early games to find out. But this idea that dolezaj can only take minutes from Brissett or Hughes relies on an odd rigidity about positions that in reality coach boeheim has never been bound by. I don’t see any way that Hughes is less capable of playing guard than josh pace was at playing forward, or mike gbinje was at playing point guard (!), or Andy rautins forward, or rakeem Christmas playing the 4 (or at least starting there), etc.

maybe we've all seen the "token" starter thing in the past. counter argument always goes "it's not who starts..." but this time it's the coach's son. so yeah there's gonna be talk here.
Agreed. But we’re 2 games into the regular season, and nursing injuries at our most important position, IMO.
Is it wishful thinking to suggest that we need to “simma down nah”... just a little bit? JMHO

Last edited:
True, but the elephant in the room is why does our shooting guard continue to play big minutes when he has like ONE field goal in 2 games.

I can't imagine Boeheim has ever played a freshman guard who was shooting 11.1% from the field and 10% from three point range for 52 total minutes in his first 2 games. EVER. I understand that we are shorthanded at guard right now but does anyone really think JB would have that kind of patience with any other guard he's ever brought in?

(All that said, I think Buddy will be fine, he's got a great feel for the game and a great looking stroke. But his performance versus D2 players compared to D1 players has provided a stark contrast so far.)

I can't imagine Boeheim has ever played a freshman guard who was shooting 11.1% from the field and 10% from three point range for 52 total minutes in his first 2 games. EVER. I understand that we are shorthanded at guard right now but does anyone really think JB would have that kind of patience with any other guard he's ever brought in?

(All that said, I think Buddy will be fine, he's got a great feel for the game and a great looking stroke. But his performance versus D2 players compared to D1 players has provided a stark contrast so far.)
Unbelievable.
Yes, you give your 4th guard time at guard, and a prime new forward time at forward, early in the season. Especially when it is a temporary guard situation.
I’m glad JB didn’t panic as much as some on here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom