When we look back at this season | Syracusefan.com

When we look back at this season

jordoo

Living Legend
We will realize that the UConn loss is what really got the players attention. Yes it was Boston U, yes we have a loooong way to go but I saw a huge difference in play which I attribute to the players paying close attention to the coaches since Tuesday.

This team will look great against bad competition all season. We just have too many guys who can put it in the bucket. Our offense in the long run, will be good IMO it's the rebounding followed by the defense that will need to improve if we want to beat good competition regularly. It's funny that we are close to 10 games in and the returning 3 of Howard, Lydon, Roberson are the ones who need to find there comfort zones the most.

I think we have a chance to improve a lot before the ACC schedule gets tough. We need to if we are going to be a good team.

Some other thoughts:

TT will only play 2 years of college bball. If he gets used to P5 competition this year he will average double figures.

I don't see anything yet that would lead me to believe Lydon or Battle will be going to the NBA. I think they both come back. If that's the case we could be very good next year if we pick up a 3rd guard who can play.

I think Chukwu will be behind Sidibe next year. Yes he was better today but the kid is not a ball player. He's playing ball because he's 7-2.

There will be a game against a big time team that Gillon, White, Lydon and Battle all shoot well and we win by double figures.

It looks like we have a real player in TT. Now if JB will only give him a defined role, put him on the floor for major minutes, and support & encourage him through the inevitable defensive positioning mistakes instead of beating his morale down.

We aren't wining anything until Lydon shows up and we get consistent guard play.

i'm not doing cartwheels over home wins against the north florida whatevers and the BU terriers. show me something badder and better.

We need to see how this team next time plays against quality M2M. It was disappointing how they handled UConn's zone. UConn clearly has better athletes than BU but, still, we see what kind of pieces this team has. Lots of versatility and should be able to shred zones.

Gillon changed the game with his aggressive play. Thought Howard was passive prior to Gillon's entrance.

Thompson was awesome.

Glad to see some scoring but we will get shredded by better teams if the zone performs this way. ALL the guards were bad rotating over and covering shooters. Or getting sucked into paint and leaving shooters.

Nice to see Chukwu do a couple of good things. I don't think we'll see another cameo from him for awhile.

Lydon seems to have Keita hands now. Can't catch anything both ends of the court.

If anything this is a nice boost for the players' mindset. They will need it moving forward. LGO!

We need to see how this team next time plays against quality M2M. It was disappointing how they handled UConn's zone. UConn clearly has better athletes than BU but, still, we see what kind of pieces this team has. Lots of versatility and should be able to shred zones.

Gillon changed the game with his aggressive play. Thought Howard was passive prior to Gillon's entrance.

Thompson was awesome.

Glad to see some scoring but we will get shredded by better teams if the zone performs this way. ALL the guards were bad rotating over and covering shooters. Or getting sucked into paint and leaving shooters.

Nice to see Chukwu do a couple of good things. I don't think we'll see another cameo from him for awhile.

Lydon seems to have Keita hands now. Can't catch anything both ends of the court.

If anything this is a nice boost for the players' mindset. They will need it moving forward. LGO!

Lydon is pressing no other reason for a guy with good hands to fumble the ball.

we are syracuse. and we should readily dismantle these cupcakes. i don't like to see us in a 3 point shootout against some hoho we should easily demolish from the inside out. just crack open the chocolate coating. unroll that moist delicious cake and then lick the creamy exposed inner filling . delicious.

we are syracuse. and we should readily dismantle these cupcakes. i don't like to see us in a 3 point shootout against some hoho we should easily demolish from the inside out. just crack open the chocolate coating. unroll that moist delicious cake and then lick the creamy exposed inner filling . delicious.
we did dismantle them - were up 30+ until lazy garbage time

I love Ho Hos, but this made me uncomfortable.

well we trailed much of the first half. boeheim wasn't doing cartwheels either going into the locker room.

yes the terriers did also hang close with canisius the first half before the golden griffins pulled away for the win. in front of 363 people.

i'm not doing cartwheels over home wins against the north florida whatevers and the BU terriers. show me something badder and better.

Nobody cares.

Imo our biggest problem is chemistry. One of our supposed biggest strengths at the beginning of the season: flexibility , depth and guys being able to play different positions imo has become our biggest weakness in the 3 losses. We need a semblance of a set rotation. I didnt see one today. I saw JB experimenting with lineups still. He needs to figure that out ideally before ACC

Its nice to see Thompson has offensive talent but all this game did was reinforce that we cannot score the ball near the rim - I'm pretty sure we have 2 dunks for the season - cannot believe how bad Howard looks - I like Battle for a freshman but he doesn't look like he's a big penetration guy - we all grossly overrated Lydon - and I don't know what to say about Roberson for a 4 year guy - plus our defense is nothing like the prior years - Gillon is too small and he and White are completely lost in the defense

mostly agree - and if he can do that while still hammering a team it's a win-win
I agree. But who was it against? NF? We were up 25 and then JB started experimenting with the bench and the lead shrunk all the way down to 2. That didnt help the teams confidence and the lousy confidence carried over to uconn. JB said it himself, this team is playing tight.

sorry but i don't use BU (or NF ) as a proper barometer to gauge the quality of a program like Syracuse. but by all means feel free to revel yourself.

sorry but i don't use BU (or NF ) as a proper barometer to gauge the quality of a program like Syracuse. but by all means feel free to revel yourself.

Since my other post was deleted as I lost my composure, I will just say it is much more a history of posts than just this one topic. Of course I am not getting overly excited by games UNF or BU, and I also think Jordoo may have read a bit too much into this game. But I will take some positives from them as he did. Not spin a negative into everything.

there is something these games can reveal about your team. mainly how little we (or jb) knows about them .totally different dynamic today.

Last edited:
Its nice to see Thompson has offensive talent but all this game did was reinforce that we cannot score the ball near the rim - I'm pretty sure we have 2 dunks for the season - cannot believe how bad Howard looks - I like Battle for a freshman but he doesn't look like he's a big penetration guy - we all grossly overrated Lydon - and I don't know what to say about Roberson for a 4 year guy - plus our defense is nothing like the prior years - Gillon is too small and he and White are completely lost in the defense
Howard's passing is fine and his penetration is solid - defensively and scoring-wise he's been bad. But he's getting to the rim at least, those will start to drop. Battle will be fine, you can tell he's still tentative and isn't confident driving, but he'll get there. Besides a few mistakes, I think White is fine at the bottom of the zone - the top of the zone is where he's really bad.

Imo our biggest problem is chemistry. One of our supposed biggest strengths at the beginning of the season: flexibility , depth and guys being able to play different positions imo has become our biggest weakness in the 3 losses. We need a semblance of a set rotation. I didnt see one today. I saw JB experimenting with lineups still. He needs to figure that out ideally before ACC
Agree. I don't see any rhyme or reason for subs. Basically like ok, you go in. Now you.

I'd hope we can roll with our starting line up. Gillon, Roberson and Thompson in off the bench.

Stop trying to make Chukwu happen. It isn't going to happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom