Where is Taurean...? | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Taurean...?

The family situation is:
  • Mama wants him closer to home so she can attend practice every day
  • Mama wants him to be the focal point of the offense
  • Mama doesn't want him playing defense
  • Mama doesn't want him playing too many minutes or he'll get burned out before he reaches the NBA
That is crazy. She wants to attend every practice.

Hmmm...will be interesting to see if SU uses the block. I don't think they will...but I wouldn't blame them if they did, especially if they think something shady went down...also SH is a prime recruiting area for SU...
I hate the block. It just drags our program through the mud and looks like we are worried about Seton Hall. Just grant it and wish the kid well. Then we look like we were done wrong but didn't take it personally and care about the kid. If we somehow make it hard on the kid it just hurts us in recruiting in my opinion no matter what TT did.

I'd be shocked if JB/SU doesn't release him. When was the last time we didn't do that?

Hmmm...will be interesting to see if SU uses the block. I don't think they will...but I wouldn't blame them if they did, especially if they think something shady went down...also SH is a prime recruiting area for SU...
Looking for a general consensus, everything would be okay if:
Taurean Thompson had stated last May, I want to transfer to and play at SHU or name a school because I would like to be closer to family and have their support at my games.
No problem, right.

However, given that he waited until the last day when classes started and caused Syracuse to be down a player with no chance to recruit, he basically put the screws to SU basketball in a number of ways.

It appears from an uninformed perspective that Taurean may have been on course to return to SU (probably grudgedly) up to a month ago (or longer) when a top ranked SHU recruit (PF/C) decided to go the prep route instead of playing for SHU which opened a scholarship. Then Taurean without any contact(??) from SHU decides to withdraw from SU the day of classes and is rumored (implied) to be headed for Seton Hall.

Coach Boeheim releases his statement about Thompson being on leave from the team and is looking to transfer to be close to family. As of that moment, he is still considered a student at SU and part of the team (but on leave).

If Taurean wants to go to SHU, then fine SU should grant him the release with the understanding that he can not play basketball in the 2017-2018 season. Rather have people that want to play for Syracuse than those who don't. If Taurean wants to consider the NBA, he still can just without the benefit of playing in 2017-2018.

Once he finds out that he can't play at SHU, he could change his mind and come back to SU. Or did he burn this bridge already?

Boeheim did alluded that he is on some type of leave which (inherently) leaves the door open for him to return. However, the majority of responses here have already condemned TT and probably will not be happy if he did return.

Seems like a bad move for us not to grant his release. Whatever the reasons, the guy just doesn't want to be here. Just cut him loose and be done with it.

Still a lot of loose ends with this situation. Between the issue of his release not formally being granted yet, and the *HUGE* issue of whether he can actually play this year or has to sit out a year, TT seems to have put himself in a bad spot. Wonder if TT and his camp (aka Mama T) fully thought this move through? Sounds like the spot at SH opened up just this last week, so wonder if they saw that and just jumped on the idea that he could play there (banking on the outdated 'sick relative' clause) without doing the due diligence to understand what repercussions that might have on his eligibility. If the move was predicated on the idea he could play this year, and he can't, that's a massive mistake. Just speculating here, but if that was all true would he even have the balls to come groveling back to SU? Would we even have him?

Seems like a bad move for us not to grant his release. Whatever the reasons, the guy just doesn't want to be here. Just cut him loose and be done with it.

Still a lot of loose ends with this situation. Between the issue of his release not formally being granted yet, and the *HUGE* issue of whether he can actually play this year or has to sit out a year, TT seems to have put himself in a bad spot. Wonder if TT and his camp (aka Mama T) fully thought this move through? Sounds like the spot at SH opened up just this last week, so wonder if they saw that and just jumped on the idea that he could play there (banking on the outdated 'sick relative' clause) without doing the due diligence to understand what repercussions that might have on his eligibility. If the move was predicated on the idea he could play this year, and he can't, that's a massive mistake. Just speculating here, but if that was all true would he even have the balls to come groveling back to SU? Would we even have him?
There is no HUGE issue. He cannot under any circumstances play this year. The family medical hardship was badly abused in basketball and is no longer in place. Only remaining issue is whether Syracuse will grant a release. By policy a player must request permission to talk to another school before even discussing a transfer possibility. This obviously did not occur. Thompson's actions impact his ex-teammates, coaches and the unknown grad transfer or prep athlete who may have had the opportunity to attend Syracuse had Thompson been completely up front with Syracuse. (Assuming this is not a sudden family health issue that just popped up in the last week.) There should be consequences for not living up to commitments and responsibilities. Barring unknown circumstances - and granting benefit of the doubt as there may be some - Syracuse's refusal to grant a release prohibits Seton Hall from offering an athletic scholarship for 2017-18. I would be disappointed if they do not withhold that release at least until Thompson talks to the staff, explains his actions and is put through a legitimate exit interview.

Why are you assuming it's him and not his mom?

Looking for a general consensus, everything would be okay if:
Taurean Thompson had stated last May, I want to transfer to and play at SHU or name a school because I would like to be closer to family and have their support at my games.
No problem, right.

However, given that he waited until the last day when classes started and caused Syracuse to be down a player with no chance to recruit, he basically put the screws to SU basketball in a number of ways.

It appears from an uninformed perspective that Taurean may have been on course to return to SU (probably grudgedly) up to a month ago (or longer) when a top ranked SHU recruit (PF/C) decided to go the prep route instead of playing for SHU which opened a scholarship. Then Taurean without any contact(??) from SHU decides to withdraw from SU the day of classes and is rumored (implied) to be headed for Seton Hall.

Coach Boeheim releases his statement about Thompson being on leave from the team and is looking to transfer to be close to family. As of that moment, he is still considered a student at SU and part of the team (but on leave).

If Taurean wants to go to SHU, then fine SU should grant him the release with the understanding that he can not play basketball in the 2017-2018 season. Rather have people that want to play for Syracuse than those who don't. If Taurean wants to consider the NBA, he still can just without the benefit of playing in 2017-2018.

Once he finds out that he can't play at SHU, he could change his mind and come back to SU. Or did he burn this bridge already?

Boeheim did alluded that he is on some type of leave which (inherently) leaves the door open for him to return. However, the majority of responses here have already condemned TT and probably will not be happy if he did return.
There is no situation where TT will play for SH this coming season. I think we will be worse without him so would like to have him on the team but I wish him well. I would give him his release and let him sit a year and go to SH. I try to remember these kids are 19 years old and I wish he would have handled the situation differently but he is just a kid. Really his mother should have been an adult about the whole thing.

There is no HUGE issue. He cannot under any circumstances play this year. The family medical hardship was badly abused in basketball and is no longer in place. Only remaining issue is whether Syracuse will grant a release. By policy a player must request permission to talk to another school before even discussing a transfer possibility. This obviously did not occur. Thompson's actions impact his ex-teammates, coaches and the unknown grad transfer or prep athlete who may have had the opportunity to attend Syracuse had Thompson been completely up front with Syracuse. (Assuming this is not a sudden family health issue that just popped up in the last week.) There should be consequences for not living up to commitments and responsibilities. Barring unknown circumstances - and granting benefit of the doubt as there may be some - Syracuse's refusal to grant a release prohibits Seton Hall from offering an athletic scholarship for 2017-18. I would be disappointed if they do not withhold that release at least until Thompson talks to the staff, explains his actions and is put through a legitimate exit interview.

I understand the family medical hardship exception is moot, I said that in my post. By "HUGE" I meant it would be a massive issue for TT if he assumed he could play but can't. I don't know what his decision was based on, but for a guy that seems to have indicated he wants to get to the NBA ASAP, then sitting a year makes no sense. If his decision was based on a faulty premise, that would be "HUGE" for him.

Why are you assuming it's him and not his mom?

You're right, that is an assumption. Just going off what a lot of others have said, which is that the mom seems to be driving the bus. Perhaps that's wrong, but there's an awful lot of smoke for there to be no fire on that issue.

I do agree that TT owes it to the staff to talk to them about his decision before we go ahead and grant his release. That's the least he could do at this point. But but I don't think it would be right to categorically withhold the release from him, out of spite, which is what I was saying before.

Let me preface by saying that TT and his mom screwed the program, no question.

Having said that, there's nothing to gain by not releasing him, blocking SH, or even pushing for an investigation into tampering. Any of those would lead to negative publicity the program doesn't need right now. Even though we would be in the right, you know the media would make us out to be the bad guys.

I would feel differently if we had a younger coach. Let JB finish out his career with as little drama as possible.

I think we will be worse without him so would like to have him on the team...
I would agree with this had he come in over the summer and worked on his defense. But he didn't, so I wasn't expecting much in the way of improvement. I'll take a strong defender with no offense over the opposite every time.

I can believe the first 3 but is #4 for real?

According to Brian Snow from Scout, yes. He couldn't believe it himself. Players want the opportunity to play and Thompson doesn't? Rack up another odd move from his camp.

I do agree that TT owes it to the staff to talk to them about his decision before we go ahead and grant his release. That's the least he could do at this point. But but I don't think it would be right to categorically withhold the release from him, out of spite, which is what I was saying before.

I don't think I'm saying it out of spite (though I may be). I think it's forcing him to accept some responsibility, realize his actions impact others and do the absolute minimum to show some respect to those who gave him an opportunity many only dream about. Maybe it's just me and my generation's values but if my kids ever wanted to quit an activity or back out of a commitment they faced the coaches or those they committed to and showed some respect when backing out. Granting a release out of hand when proper procedures were obviously not followed in effect condones the action.

I'd be shocked if JB/SU doesn't release him. When was the last time we didn't do that?

I don't think there was ever a case where a player simply left the school, did not request a release and refused to respond to calls or emails. Thompson bears some responsibility here and his actions (or inactions if you will) should have consequences.

Well . . . isn't this just a little bit like Andrew White III leaving Nebraska in the lurch?

I didn't like the way Taurean went through the process but I think kids should always be allowed one transfer without having to sit out a year.

If the NCAA created a rule that you had to elect to transfer within a week of the spring semester for your "Free Transfer to Apply" it would make things simpler and remove bitterness. Instead now you have unhappy kids waiting it out because of the severe punishment. What ultimately happens in many cases is the situation only gets worse such that the transfer happens at a bad time where the team gets hurt even more. If the transfer period was defined kids would leave at the same time, a transfer market would be in place, and teams could recover.

Sure, it could cause sophomore super teams. But it does not make sense to me that sports fans are worried more about parity (in a system that lacks it in the first place), then fair compensation or better treatment of players.

Last edited:
I don't think I'm saying it out of spite (though I may be). I think it's forcing him to accept some responsibility, realize his actions impact others and do the absolute minimum to show some respect to those who gave him an opportunity many only dream about. Maybe it's just me and my generation's values but if my kids ever wanted to quit an activity or back out of a commitment they faced the coaches or those they committed to and showed some respect when backing out. Granting a release out of hand when proper procedures were obviously not followed in effect condones the action.

No, I fully agree with you on the importance of TT talking to the staff, and for the well-articulated reasons you gave. Re: the spite comment, that wasn't in response to you, just voicing my opposition to probably the only other reason I can think of that SU might withhold the release. In other words, withholding the release until TT talks to staff is the only morally defensible thing to do, IMO.

Absolutely they should (IMO). The timing of this, and the underlying scheming, stinks.

I hope JB doesn't release him , I don't believe his story anyway. His mom was always in his ear way too much to the point where it crossed the line of looking out for his best interest. Jimmy has to make a stand to show he is in control and so this never happens again with any other player.

I hate the block. It just drags our program through the mud and looks like we are worried about Seton Hall. Just grant it and wish the kid well. Then we look like we were done wrong but didn't take it personally and care about the kid. If we somehow make it hard on the kid it just hurts us in recruiting in my opinion no matter what TT did.
Again, I would have agreed with this in May. Let him go, closer/farther .. it's up to him. Kids transfer. But this is far from a mutual parting of the ways. This is BS. It's the first day of class, after SH has obviously been involved with him. It doesn't just stink .. the timing hurts the program. Now we're stuck w/no options. I have no sympathy for either SH or TT at this stage.

Well . . . isn't this just a little bit like Andrew White III leaving Nebraska in the lurch?
White asked for permission to contact other schools the spring before transferring, requested a release AND was a grad transfer who had completed his obligation to Nebraska. Thompson went off the grid, never said a word and nothing was known until literally hours before the semester began.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom