Where is Taurean...? | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Taurean...?

Well . . . isn't this just a little bit like Andrew White III leaving Nebraska in the lurch?

No. He was graduating anyway. He told them at season's end that he was leaving the program. The only thing that was drawn out was his recruitment as he had a number of suitors willing to bring him in. He wasn't part of the program for months when he had signed to Syracuse.

White asked for permission to contact other schools the spring before transferring, requested a release AND was a grad transfer who had completed his obligation to Nebraska. Thompson went off the grid, never said a word and nothing was known until literally hours before the semester began.

Well, he did say a little bit like AWIII. :rolleyes:

They are both basketball players, who transferred. That part is alike. ;)

The rest of it? Like apples and walruses.

Well, he did say a little bit like AWIII. :rolleyes:

They are both basketball players, who transferred. That part is alike. ;)

The rest of it? Like apples and walruses.
AppleWalrus-Real.png

Why are you assuming it's him and not his mom?
Honestly at this point, even if it is his mom, this is still all on Taurean. Notwithstanding that the "family health issue" is a legit reason, of course.

SU absolutely should deny his release request and request the NCAA to investigate SHU.
Temporarily delay pending NCAA investigation. Or at the minimum temporarily delay releasing him to SHU pending NCAA. Nuance - but this way it puts it more on the NCAA instead of SU.

I think they should grant the release...at 4:30 on the last day he is allowed to register for classes...

Just like TT did to the school.
I'd just block the transfer. There is no reason to allow this kind of behavior, either by the player or SH. Had the decision been more timely, I'd agree that we should just "move on". Unfortunately, the decision appears to have been deliberately delayed to allow the player's mother to shop offers on the AAU circuit. As a result, the timing is very harmful to recruiting and team composition, so (to me) it's more important to discourage the behavior than to let bygones be bygones. I don't remember tampering being involved in Jason Hart's case, but that also involved a very very late change of mind and SU (for good reason) stood its ground.

If SU winds up granting a release (which I don't agree with), I'd suggest 4:30 PM the day after the deadline.

Last edited:
Personally, I would not block the transfer, if there is even a small semblance of truth to the 'family illness' thing. Yes, he left us in a bad position, but we don't need to give opposing coaches any more ammunition to recruit negatively against us.

But I would most definitely ask the NCAA to investigate Seton Hall. We might get a future draft pick out of it. ;)

I'd just block the transfer. There is no reason to allow this kind of behavior, either by the player or SH. There's value to "moving on", but only when the timing isn't deliberately harmful (as it is here). There's also value, if our suspicions of improper tampering are confirmed, in discouraging the behavior. I don't remember tampering being involved in Jason Hart's case, but that also involved a very very late change of mind and SU (for good reason) stood its ground.

If SU winds up granting a release (which I don't agree with), I'd suggest 4:30 PM the day after the deadline.
I agree with you...I am an a-hole though so i would probably do what i said just to rub his face in it.

I agree with you...I am an a-hole though so i would probably do what i said just to rub his face in it.
For me, it's not about retribution. It's about being up front and responsible. The transfer/tampering rules are in place to discourage this kind of last-minute selfish maneuvering that damages team composition and interferes with recruiting decisions that are vital to the health of the program. Recruiting's difficult enough without this kind of nonsense. I think the Hart precedent should apply ... TT's situation is even more egregious.

Last edited:
Personally, I would not block the transfer, if there is even a small semblance of truth to the 'family illness' thing. Yes, he left us in a bad position, but we don't need to give opposing coaches any more ammunition to recruit negatively against us.

But I would most definitely ask the NCAA to investigate Seton Hall. We might get a future draft pick out of it. ;)

Why should SU set a poor precedent and not block it if warranted? What message does that send that it's okay to act in such deceitful fashion and not man up or request a transfer in an honorable, timely and/or reasonable manner? Why would this give opposing coaches 'more' ammunition to negatively recruit against us. This appears far from your garden variety transfer request coming on literally the first day classes begin. Anyone in their right mind should see that from a mile away if a coach attempted to use this outlier type situation to negatively recruit against us. Total garbage!

Last edited:
Grant the release immediately, slam the door, and send him on his way. Just my opinion. Quick divorce, and move on to those who want to play ball. We have a season to worry about. Not some kid who couldn't care less about SU, his teammates, coaches, and everyone who helped him here.

Without knowing the details or the real motivation, I'd say grant it.

Do it quickly. Do it gracefully. And show some class.

[Tampering and leaving your school twisting in the wind when it's too late to fill the spot] have a way of coming back and biting you in the azz.
Fixed.

Why should SU set a poor precedent and not block it if warranted? What message does that send that it's okay to act in such deceitful fashion and not man up or request a transfer in an honorable, timely and/or reasonable fashion? Why would this give opposing coaches 'more' ammunition to negatively recruit against us. This appears far from your garden variety transfer request coming on literally the first day classes begin. Anyone in their right mind should see that from a mile away if a coach attempted to use this outlier type situation to negatively recruit against us. Total garbage!
I don't disagree in any of your principles. I do think this could get turned around and make us look like the bad guy...very easily. Again, I agree with you and am not saying we shouldn't block it, etc. I could easily see it turned into something like "Syracuse/Boeheim care more about pride and winning games than the happiness/best interest of its student athletes."-I'm not saying this, but could see others turning it into something of sort, even though we know its not the case.

Without knowing the details or the real motivation, I'd say grant it.

Do it quickly. Do it gracefully. And show some class.

Stuff like this has a way of coming back and biting you in the azz.
No. Granting it makes you a target in the future.

JB is no rube. He will do what is best for SU.

I don't disagree in any of your principles. I do think this could get turned around and make us look like the bad guy...very easily. Again, I agree with you and am not saying we shouldn't block it, etc. I could easily see it turned into something like "Syracuse/Boeheim care more about pride and winning games than the happiness/best interest of its student athletes."-I'm not saying this, but could see others turning it into something of sort, even though we know its not the case.
Ordinarily, I'd agree ... except that the timing of this is beyond the pale. SU's literally a sitting duck now ... with its most (only) experienced front court player AWOL at the last minute under shady circumstances with no options.

We're not the bad guys here. And I doubt the problem will be laid at our doorstep (that's not what happened when we refused to release Jason Hart).

Last edited:
Crapola. Anyone who says this - who cares? Are you in 5th grade where schoolyard taunts send you home crying to mommy?

I understand, that's why opinions vary. And, generally so by one's foundation, values and belief system.

Crapola. Anyone who says this - who cares? Are you in 5th grade where schoolyard taunts send you home crying to mommy?
Not what I think. I think we SHOULD block. My point is, at least my opinion is, that the press would take any chance to give us negative publicity, whether warranted or not. And to answer your question, I am a 39 year old professional(not sports) who is trying to look at things objectively.

You could have made this excuse for him in May. Not at this point. Not when he announces the first day of classes. Not when he (apparently deliberately) leaves us in the lurch without time to recruit another player. Not when he suddenly shows up at SH and a roster spot miraculously opens up for him like the red sea. Waaaaaaay too late for excuses. This was a selfish, immature, insulting move that reeks of tampering by SH -- even Gary Battle's not buying it. I don't know how else you process this given the maneuvering and the timing.
Well,
1) I'm not making this excuse for him, only arguing against the assertion that there's no difference between a half hour drive and a four hour drive.
2) See the last sentence in my post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom