Where is Taurean...? | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Where is Taurean...?

I don't think vengeance is the point. If anything, it's a straw man argument. What's at stake is the same principal that applied in the Jason Hart case -- the University's need, indeed its responsibility, to make timely decisions about recruiting and team composition. With classes already started and recruiting decisions completed, this is no longer just about Taurean and his Mom. He could have announced several months ago and no one would be crying foul. Instead, the circumstances couldn't be shadier. That's why there are tampering and transfer rules ... so we can figure out who's playing and recruit accordingly. The U owes that much to its fans and the other players on the team, notwithstanding that it may be temporarily inconvenient for one individual.

Oh, regarding Seton Hall, SU should address the tampering matter. On principle and as a deterrent to future nonsense.

As far as Thompson goes, though, release him. Be the better party.

If we are that worried that not blocking it will cause a precedent (i.e. an exodus in the future years) then we have a bigger problem.

The team should not be focused on measures that make players think twice about leaving Syracuse.. it should be to come up with measures that want players to stay.

Conceptually I think all kids should always have one free transfer, so I have a hard time playing hardball here, even thought TT did not act properly in the process.

Why should SU set a poor precedent and not block it if warranted? What message does that send that it's okay to act in such deceitful fashion and not man up or request a transfer in an honorable, timely and/or reasonable manner? Why would this give opposing coaches 'more' ammunition to negatively recruit against us. This appears far from your garden variety transfer request coming on literally the first day classes begin. Anyone in their right mind should see that from a mile away if a coach attempted to use this outlier type situation to negatively recruit against us. Total garbage!
This board has lambasted coaches in the past for not granting releases (or not granting them to certain schools), justified or not. Do you really think that recruiters don't mention things like that?
I don't disagree in any of your principles. I do think this could get turned around and make us look like the bad guy...very easily. Again, I agree with you and am not saying we shouldn't block it, etc. I could easily see it turned into something like "Syracuse/Boeheim care more about pride and winning games than the happiness/best interest of its student athletes."-I'm not saying this, but could see others turning it into something of sort, even though we know its not the case.
Yep - 'negative recruiting' is not only stuff like 'that guy is awful' or 'look, they're on probation, or soon will be', etc.

I don't disagree in any of your principles. I do think this could get turned around and make us look like the bad guy...very easily. Again, I agree with you and am not saying we shouldn't block it, etc. I could easily see it turned into something like "Syracuse/Boeheim care more about pride and winning games than the happiness/best interest of its student athletes."-I'm not saying this, but could see others turning it into something of sort, even though we know its not the case.
This is exactly what will happen.

Pull off the bandage quickly and cleanly w/ minimum damage. Let him go and be done with him, mommy, the whole ball of wax. If we involve ourselves in this soap opera, you can almost guarantee mommy or TT offering a completely different version of events to a muck-racking media. Say goodbye and good riddance.

Excellent post.

Reminds me of "Brer Rabbit and the Tarbaby".

For JB critics and SU critics --- of which this board has many --- the question ought to be about their awareness of what TT was up to. How could they be caught completely flat Footed? That is, if they were indeed.

Like most things we are most likely never going to know the whole truth. But if JB makes a statement it will be as close as we get.

I don't think vengeance is the point. If anything, it's a straw man argument. What's at stake is the same principal that applied in the Jason Hart case -- the University's need, indeed its responsibility, to make timely decisions about recruiting and team composition. With classes already started and recruiting decisions completed, this is no longer just about Taurean and his Mom. He could have announced several months ago and no one would be crying foul. Instead, the circumstances couldn't be shadier. That's why there are tampering and transfer rules ... so we can figure out who's playing and recruit accordingly. The U owes that much to its fans and the other players on the team, notwithstanding that it may be temporarily inconvenient for one individual.
What's Miami got to do with this?

If the NCAA views this as tampering, they don't need to be prompted by JB or SU, correct? Let them handle it.

And this isn't GOT. JB doesn't need to go all Arya on TT and his mom to please the fan base. I'd rather he put his efforts into making the tournament.

Good old TT drama thread. What's another season without it? Serious, this stuff happens every year, past few years.

Obokoh losing a season of eligibility
Diagne
Robey missing Canada?
TT part 1
AW
TT part 2
Quade
Tucker
Franky parts 1 through 20 ;)

To think that Briscoe was an easy deal in that we knew he was out early.

Good times y'all. Good times. Still. I think we surprise. Hard to keep a good man down!

What's Miami got to do with this?

If the NCAA views this as tampering, they don't need to be prompted by JB or SU, correct? Let them handle it.

And this isn't GOT. JB doesn't need to go all Arya on TT and his mom to please the fan base. I'd rather he put his efforts into making the tournament.
Miami?

Mizzou stole Jeremiah Tilmon from Illinois. We're talking about one of the biggest rivalries in college hoops and a top 25 recruit. Illinois could have easily made a case that tampering was involved, but they chose to move on.

I think all this talk about precedent is overblown. This stuff happens all the time and SU isn't going to save college basketball by putting up a fight.

Wow the Seton Hall fans are trying to outdo the Rutgers fans for most delusional fan base.

https://setonhall.forums. /threads/todays-question.29900/
they are having a good run; good for them - it doesn't really impact us, even if they take on TT and even if they outrecruit us here & there. the thing that thread points out to me is that Syracuse basketball is the measuring stick for every program in the northeast. they don't aspire to be UConn with their 4 titles, they want to be Cuse. hell, even the boneyard is obsessed with SU despite the fact that Calhoun elevated them well past us for a couple of decades

If we are that worried that not blocking it will cause a precedent (i.e. an exodus in the future years) then we have a bigger problem.

The team should not be focused on measures that make players think twice about leaving Syracuse.. it should be to come up with measures that want players to stay.

Conceptually I think all kids should always have one free transfer, so I have a hard time playing hardball here, even thought TT did not act properly in the process.

Agree with this. Also, I would question the premise that blocking TT's release sets a very impactful, or desirable, 'precedent'. Is some kid--even 2 or 3 years down the line--really going to remember the 'The Infamous and Terrible Taurean Thompson Situation At SU'? Even if they do, aren't we talking about disgruntled kids that want to leave? Why do we want those kids to stay, if they're so unhappy? Do we really want a kid thinking, "This place sucks and I'd love to transfer, but I know SU won't let me, so I'll just stay put and sulk/sow discord"? Lastly, this hasn't even come up all that often (Dion being the last major example I can remember), so not sure why we'd be so worried about kids leaving. Historically, the players we've had seem to love JB and SU. The 'precedent' argument just makes no sense to me.

I'd just block the transfer. There is no reason to allow this kind of behavior, either by the player or SH. Had the decision been more timely, I'd agree that we should just "move on". Unfortunately, the decision appears to have been deliberately delayed to allow the player's mother to shop offers on the AAU circuit. As a result, the timing is very harmful to recruiting and team composition, so (to me) it's more important to discourage the behavior than to let bygones be bygones. I don't remember tampering being involved in Jason Hart's case, but that also involved a very very late change of mind and SU (for good reason) stood its ground.

If SU winds up granting a release (which I don't agree with), I'd suggest 4:30 PM the day after the deadline.

Regarding Hart, believe I read it in one of the books about Boeheim that Jim Harrick and UCLA were trying to get Jason Hart to flop over to UCLA.

Wow the Seton Hall fans are trying to outdo the Rutgers fans for most delusional fan base.

https://setonhall.forums. /threads/todays-question.29900/

The majority actually came off very reasonable in knowing where they stand as a program. Level headed responses in that thread. Especially when put up against SU.

I was excepting insanity, but have to give them credit for being realistic. They are on the rise, and got screwed in their Tourney game last year. Yes, I had money on them.

Still, they have something going, but don't see many fans with delusions that they have a better program than the Cuse. Nowhere near Rutgers fans. Not even close.

The majority actually came off very reasonable in knowing where they stand as a program. Level headed responses in that thread. Especially when put up against SU.

I was excepting insanity, but have to give them credit for being realistic. They are on the rise, and got screwed in their Tourney game last year. Yes, I had money on them.

Still, they have something going, but don't see many fans with delusions that they have a better program than the Cuse. Nowhere near Rutgers fans. Not even close.

They have had a couple of nice years, both resulting in early tourney exits, they haven't won a tournament game in 13 years, there shouldn't even be a discussion.

They have had a couple of nice years, both resulting in early tourney exits, they haven't won a tournament game in 13 years, there shouldn't even be a discussion.

I know, and they seem to know as well from what I read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom