Who will be the Syracuse Head Coach in 2024? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Who will be the Syracuse Head Coach in 2024?

I am very into the idea of bringing in Dan Mullen as the head coach. He has had success at big time SEC schools. Hes a proven head coach and recruiter. Hes a former Syracuse graduate assistant. Hes from Pennsylvania with ties to the area.

This seems like a home run hire to me.

That’s fair. He did have a few WRs who were good. We literally have one now, and we call him a TE
Or Todd Philcox.

The point is, with the right coaching and recruiting, a passing QB could work at SU. Look at Wake, I'd say they are are a peer program and right now they have a passing QB - a stellar passer in fact.

Personally, I agree, that SU is better when the QB can pick up 1st downs and keep the sticks moving by running when plays break down.

6-0 was the peak of Cuse football success. It‘s just reality. We will never be able to compete with the $$ of the state schools.

I am more concerned about his inability to recruit an O line. His teams consistently get beaten down in October/November.
I was horrified in watching Dino's first game vs Colgate in 2016 that the O Line got no push whatsoever against a FCS program and the offense had such a limited number of run plays that were easily stopped. It's remained pretty much the case for 7 years. It's like a Dino Principle.

I am very into the idea of bringing in Dan Mullen as the head coach. He has had success at big time SEC schools. Hes a proven head coach and recruiter. Hes a former Syracuse graduate assistant. Hes from Pennsylvania with ties to the area.

Dan Mullen is an interesting name would have to look more into him.

What about Paul Chryst? Very successful at Wisconsin, a tough place to recruit also, coached at Pitt, so some familiarity with Northeast football and the terrain. It's worth gauging his interest, the timing would be about right, after Dino's swan song in 2023

Ill be the first to through an achievable name out, Jim Mora
It's interesting that Hugh Freeze is the name d'jour for the next SEC HC openings, like Auburn. But Jim Mora took an absolute dumpster fire at UConn - the worst FBS program in the country last year - and just beat Liberty to become bowl eligible. Want to talk about disadvantages: no league, no big TV $, a stadium 25 miles away from campus, no P5 facilities, northeast recruiting and weather, etc. That's some serious program building in 1 year.

It’s not just about talent. Although that is lacking significantly as seen with depth issues. For every gem found, they recruit a lot of guys with MAC only offers. They are last in the ACC in recruiting almost every year. With a better coach they might be able to make up for the lack of talent. Unfortunately, DB isn’t a good coach.

If ‘Cuse wants to compete for ACC championships, hell just compete for a bowl game every year, then they need to cut their losses & pay big money for a big time coach who can recruit and better fund recruiting.

Honestly, the money situation isn’t bad and they are middle of the pack in almost every metric, but they fall short in recruit spending.

^This one is a few years old and Im sure Syracuse has spent more money each year.

Jamey Chadwell
I like the move. Originally thought SU would never be able to pull him out of the south, but no other power 5 schools seem to be willing to give him the nod

Ryan Nassib won two bowl games, and he couldn't run.

If we can get Marrone back, and his ability to develop offensive linemen, then we can win with a drop back passer.

Otherwise, find the fastest guy available who has a serviceable arm.

Oh and I’d kill for an Alec Lemon, Marcus Sales or even Beckett Wales on this offense.

Dino’s a bad coach.

Its not about talent

Its not about natural disadvantages at Syracuse

Its about his ability to perform the job hes paid millions to perform. And it is not acceptable. Last night was another in a long list of fireable performances

Dino’s a bad coach.

Its not about talent

Its not about natural disadvantages at Syracuse

Its about his ability to perform the job hes paid millions to perform. And it is not acceptable. Last night was another in a long list of fireable performances
No you get to keep Dino and hear Ohana 9000 times next season as they go 5-7.

He had 1 losing year (5-7) at Miss St in 9 years (69–46), and one losing record at UF (5-6) in 4 years (34–15). He was 7-3 in bowl games over those years. SEC Coach of the Year (2014). He has a much stronger resume regarding offense than Dino.

We've got his QB recruit on our roster, Carlos DelRio-Wilson. And another SEC castoff QB, Garrett Shrader.

I like the move. Originally thought SU would never be able to pull him out of the south, but no other power 5 schools seem to be willing to give him the nod
Spend 6 months down here in CCU territory, so we've seen him up close. Very impressive personally as well as a fundamentally sound coach. Recruits 3 stars out of the southeast, but he may have very few connections that translate to success for SU which is still an outlier in the conference. The ACC has been and always will be a southeast dominated conference.

It'll be interesting to see how CCU does without their star QB to run the offense. Might take some imaginative coaching.

No you get to keep Dino and hear Ohana 9000 times next season as they go 5-7.
Then Wildhack should go right out the door with. Great at spending on fancy things, but look at our sports.

Tactically I have supreme confidence in Tony White's defensive mind. Whether he would be a good head coach is another matter but he 100% deserves consideration as far as I'm concerned. I do like Chadwell from Coastal a lot

This is the equivalent of when people wanted to make Macky the HC
I would rather that Macky got $50 million. have paid him half of that and spent the rest on assistants. Realistically, Addazio got BC 6 or 7 wins a tear BC has much higher academic requirement and has no where near the support for their program than Syracuse does. He would get the line play straightened out. Also, he's not working right now do there is no buyout and he coached at Syracuse as an assistant. He could be "affodable" and leave plenty of money for some top assistant coaches. He also has recruiting contacts across the northeast.

Last edited:
Theres no comparison between Dino and Clawson, one has been to 5 bowl games and is over .500 in his career. The other is a dozen games under .500 and something like 5-23 in November. Wake fans have a right to be less then thrilled with this years performance with Hartman back. That said the coaches are in different stratospheres, if you cant see that your not being honest with yourself.

Unlike some posters on here I don't believe that the solution for every SU team is to fire the Head Coach, coaching staff or AD.