Will Tucker play in our bowl game? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Will Tucker play in our bowl game?

Will Tucker play in our bowl game, or opt out?

• Yes he will play

Votes: 98 46.7%
  • No he will not play

Votes: 112 53.3%

• Total voters
I can go further than that and take your argument to its logical conclusion; football is a dangerous sport and can cause permanent brain damage. What are you going to do for him if he gets a TBI in the NFL?

Why should he risk it?

What if it was your son?

It’s just a meaningless game.

This is your argumentation taken to its logical consistent conclusion. And before you say I’m being hyperbolic, there are people who make this argument.

Or is FBS just not as important in your opinion as the NFL? Or is it worth it for these athletes to risk their lives if enough money is on the line?
Ridiculous. Do better. This is one game. A game in a month, no one is really going to remember. You want him to play for your benefit. Not his. Newsflash, so do I. But the question to me was what advice would I give him. It would have nothing to do with something as foolish as your statement about football being a dangerous game. I would advice him to sit out for his benefit. And nothing about your post was taken to it's logical conclusion. Oh, and once again, if he gets hurt and hurts his draft status, you will do nothing for him. Neither will anyone else here. That is why this is about what is best for his future.

Ridiculous. Do better. This is one game. A game in a month, no one is really going to remember. You want him to play for your benefit. Not his. Newsflash, so do I. But the question to me was what advice would I give him. It would have nothing to do with something as foolish as your statement about football being a dangerous game. I would advice him to sit out for his benefit. And nothing about your post was taken to it's logical conclusion.
Consistency is hard.

Consistency is hard.
It seems not being selfish and just looking out for your own enjoyment as well. And where was I inconsistent? Don't tell me you couldn't understand the difference between what I would like as a fan and would advice as a adviser?

It seems not being selfish and just looking out for your own enjoyment as well.
And again, your argument is that an FBS fan wanting their star player to play in a bowl game is immoral or unethical (not to put words in your mouth but that is your inference) is no different than arguing that football itself is immoral for fans to root for. You just don’t like that I held your hand and took you to the consistent conclusion of your argument.

I don’t mean to make this personal, but if you infer that I am selfish I have every right to clap back and show you what you are actually arguing on the fundamental presupposition of your argument.

It seems not being selfish and just looking out for your own enjoyment as well. And where was I inconsistent? Don't tell me you couldn't understand the difference between what I would like as a fan and would advice as a adviser?
There are so many bowl games that few people watch. That's why a 16 team playoff would be better. You would use 31 bowl sites to play all the games, and they would have some meaning.
Getting to a bowl in the 50's and 60's meant you were a very good team and a few of the top 20 teams didn't get invited.

And again, your argument is that an FBS fan wanting their star player to play in a bowl game is immoral or unethical (not to put words in your mouth but that is your inference) is no different than arguing that football itself is immoral for fans to root for. You just don’t like that I held your hand and took you to the consistent conclusion of your argument.

I don’t mean to make this personal, but if you infer that I am selfish I have every right to clap back and show you what you are actually arguing on the fundamental presupposition of your argument.
Oh, you are selfish. What is important to you is that you get to sit on your couch and watch the team play and have the best chance to win. Period. That is what fans do. As far as I know, this is your first bowl game as a Syracuse fan. Maybe 2018 I'm not sure. If it was 2018, we won that game because two guys from West Virginia sat that game out. Your jump on morality is silly. And I don't take any of this personally. You aren't wanting Tucker to play for his benefit. I, on the other hand, have been around Syracuse football since the 1970's. I graduated in 1978. I have seen a lot of bowl games. We won most. I want Tucker to play. I also want to sit on my couch and watch us win. 8-5 is a lot better than 7-6. But the question of what advice I would give Tucker, that is easy. Sit it out and make a good living for your family. Because no one on this board is going to care one whit about you or your family if you do get hurt and lose money because of it.

Oh, you are selfish. What is important to you is that you get to sit on your couch and watch the team play and have the best chance to win. Period. That is what fans do. As far as I know, this is your first bowl game as a Syracuse fan. Maybe 2018 I'm not sure. If it was 2018, we won that game because two guys from West Virginia sat that game out. Your jump on morality is silly. And I don't take any of this personally. You aren't wanting Tucker to play for his benefit. I, on the other hand, have been around Syracuse football since the 1970's. I graduated in 1978. I have seen a lot of bowl games. We won most. I want Tucker to play. I also want to sit on my couch and watch us win. 8-5 is a lot better than 7-6. But the question of what advice I would give Tucker, that is easy. Sit it out and make a good living for your family. Because no one on this baord is going to care one whit about you or your family if you do get hurt and lose money because of it.
Yes this is my first bowl as a Syracuse fan but I disagree that I’m being selfish. We will just have to agree to disagree. You’re a great poster and it’s not my desire to argue with you further and I definitely don’t want it to be personal. LGO

Yes this is my first bowl as a Syracuse fan but I disagree that I’m being selfish. We will just have to agree to disagree. You’re a great poster and it’s not my desire to argue with you further and I definitely don’t want it to be personal. LGO
David, I like you as well. And as a fan, being selfish is what we do and what we are. I'm honest about this. I want all of our guys to play and I really want to win. As I said 8-5 is a lot better than 7-6. I thought this is what we would advice Tucker. And having watched the baseball draft this past year, it struck close to home seeing that kid lose a 5 million dollar signing bonus. Life changing money.

Oh, you are selfish. What is important to you is that you get to sit on your couch and watch the team play and have the best chance to win. Period. That is what fans do. As far as I know, this is your first bowl game as a Syracuse fan. Maybe 2018 I'm not sure. If it was 2018, we won that game because two guys from West Virginia sat that game out. Your jump on morality is silly. And I don't take any of this personally. You aren't wanting Tucker to play for his benefit. I, on the other hand, have been around Syracuse football since the 1970's. I graduated in 1978. I have seen a lot of bowl games. We won most. I want Tucker to play. I also want to sit on my couch and watch us win. 8-5 is a lot better than 7-6. But the question of what advice I would give Tucker, that is easy. Sit it out and make a good living for your family. Because no one on this board is going to care one whit about you or your family if you do get hurt and lose money because of it.
We won the Camping World bowl because we won the Camping World bowl. We were good enough to beat WVU with or without Will Grier.

The fear of injury thing is interesting. Anyone have any stats about how often good draft prospects get hurt in their bowl game?
I don't have overall stats but off the top of my head - Michigan TE Jake Butt, Willis McGahee, Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith are a few noteworthy bowl injuries

No $#17. I'm excited that we are in a bowl game, even if it's a middle of the road one.

It's obvious that my comment was in the context of a Sean Tucker concentrating for the draft. The bowl game is meaningless for his future. He doesn't need it.
I think you are wrong about him needing it. Unfortunately his draft stock has fallen, he may even need another year to reestablish himself. You are right that it will be his decision and it will be a big one either way, kind of rock and hard place situation.

We won the Camping World bowl because we won the Camping World bowl. We were good enough to beat WVU with or without Will Grier.
They were missing two guys. We will never know how we would have done if they had all of their guys. Now, I don't care. I'm glad we won and who did or didn't play, is their problem. But it had to hurt their chances.

Yeah...The answer is whatever Tucker chooses to do is the right answer. Because it's his life. If he plays, GREAT. If not, I wish him luck in the NFL and thank him for a great career at SU. Anything more than that is selfish like you said.

No it doesn't matter. There's nothing to gain from playing a middle of the road bowl game and much more to lose.

So you're saying he has as much to gain from playing a middle of the road and meaningless bowl game than preparing for the combine?

Ultimately it's his decision and I'm fine either way.
Money isn't the only thing to be gained or lost. Too many people focus on money as the only factor when it probably shouldn't be.
Maybe the solution is NIL deals tied specifically to bowl games?

You actually think we are telling him what to do by speaking it in a forum??? What power do you feel we have? We gave our opinions that's it? Relax.
Yeah, I actually think people are expecting him to take advice from a fan forum. Of course I don't. You know what I meant. Don't pick out one little piece of what I said because you have nothing to say about the main point lI made. People are speaking in absolutes as if they know exactly what he should or should not do. Go look back at the posts. They're there. And actually, I'm perfectly relaxed.

They were missing two guys. We will never know how we would have done if they had all of their guys. Now, I don't care. I'm glad we won and who did or didn't play, is their problem. But it had to hurt their chances.
I don’t disagree but to say we only won because they were missing guys is a little unfair as we were a legit top 20 team that year and played like it every week except for the ND game where Dungey was injured.

What you just said goes without saying. At the end of the day, he is going to do what he wants. If he wants to play, we will play him. If he doesn't, we will play without him. If he plays, I will cheer for him as I do for all of our players. If he doesn't, I won't give it a second thought. We will go with what players we have that want to play. My only point is that if I was asked my someone, anyone, in that position, I would advice them to sit it out. Go have a great pro career and thanks for everything you gave the University that I got my degree from and root for.
That's fair. I gues my approach would be only slightly different. If they asked I would try to help someone in that position see all sides of it without actually telling them what decision I'd lean toward.

I don't have overall stats but off the top of my head - Michigan TE Jake Butt, Willis McGahee, Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith are a few noteworthy bowl injuries
McGahee was the one that popped into my head. That was, what, 21 years ago? How recent were those others? I'm not as familiar with those.

I think you are wrong about him needing it. Unfortunately his draft stock has fallen, he may even need another year to reestablish himself. You are right that it will be his decision and it will be a big one either way, kind of rock and hard place situation.

Agree his stock has fallen but the NFL system just churns RBs through teams and spits them out quickly (most don’t make it 4 years)

There is only so much tread on a RBs “tires.” He will go to the NFL have a productive 3-5 years and then will be like most and be out of the game (as sad as that’s to say)

Look at the great runners who have come before, shined and left young…Todd Gurley’s are the norm, Adrian Petersons are the exception

That's fair. I gues my approach would be only slightly different. If they asked I would try to help someone in that position see all sides of it without actually telling them what decision I'd lean toward.
That's fine. I'm not saying, and never say, my way is the only way.

Agree his stock has fallen but the NFL system just churns RBs through teams and spits them out quickly (most don’t make it 4 years)

There is only so much tread on a RBs “tires.” He will go to the NFL have a productive 3-5 years and then will be like most and be out of the game (as sad as that’s to say)

Look at the great runners who have come before, shined and left young…Todd Gurley’s are the norm, Adrian Petersons are the exception
And thats why its his decision, what if he is not drafted or is so low on their boards now that he gets very little front money. I just think he has some things to think about after this season. No argument on longevity issues.

I have a feeling a lot of our draft prospects will be sitting out unfortunately.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom