Will Tucker play in our bowl game? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Will Tucker play in our bowl game?

Will Tucker play in our bowl game, or opt out?

• Yes he will play

Votes: 98 46.7%
  • No he will not play

Votes: 112 53.3%

• Total voters
I must say, so far these poll results are a lot more even than I was anticipating.

McGahee was the one that popped into my head. That was, what, 21 years ago? How recent were those others? I'm not as familiar with those.
Jaylon Smith was the 2016 Fiesta Bowl. He really had a long road to recovery. It was amazing he came back to play at all from what I remember reading about his injury.

Jake Butt was Dec 31, 2016 Orange Bowl. He's already retired from the NFL.

It would be nice if each bowl would allow 1-2 players on participating teams the opportunity to have a $5MM insurance policy against injury.
That would go over real swell with the other 100 guys.

Wha
We won the Camping World bowl because we won the Camping World bowl. We were good enough to beat WVU with or without Will Grier.
whatever happened to Will Grier anyway?

Should the athletic scholarship serve as a contract? Does it only apply as long as your school is in the playoff hunt? If sitting out a bowl game is ok, then why stop there? Maybe they should sit out when they feel they maximized their draft value midway through the season? You see where I’m going with this.

This shouldn’t be about the fans vs the player. If you sign a letter of intent and decide to sit out for non academic reasons then you should lose your scholarship for that year. You’re breaking your commitment to the school. Seems only fair.

Sean Tucker was the best running back I've seen in a Syracuse uniform since at least Walter Reyes. And I could probably go further back then that. It was a pleasure to watch him play- when healthy, he was absolutely dynamic.

That said I hope he sits this one out. Not because I don't value his abilities- but because I don't want anything to endanger his pro prospects.

Sean Tucker was the best running back I've seen in a Syracuse uniform since at least Walter Reyes. And I could probably go further back then that. It was a pleasure to watch him play- when healthy, he was absolutely dynamic.

That said I hope he sits this one out. Not because I don't value his abilities- but because I don't want anything to endanger his pro prospects.
Nah disagree on this one. With whatever group endeavor ones a part of, the sum and interests of the group supercedes the individual, or, as Spock said “the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one” whether sports or war or some companies. Especially when that group provided you the opportunity to achieve success and/or the hope to achieve future individual successes.

Yeah old school antiquated quaint notion of Who moved my cheese there otherwise known as the old adage where there's actually a common sense phrase for it where you put your interest in this case second in the process of "taking one for the team!" Whaddya know, what a concept!

Last edited:
Money isn't the only thing to be gained or lost. Too many people focus on money as the only factor when it probably shouldn't be.
Maybe the solution is NIL deals tied specifically to bowl games?

A fourth round NFL pick is looking at 630K or so...

I understand both sides of this argument, however, I feel like injuries are either going to happen or they aren't, whether guys play in bowl games or not. Does he stop practicing? Does he stop training for fear of injury? I've seen guys tear pecs, quads, prolapse rectums (seriously) from lifting weights. Guys blow out knees or ankles practicing the shuttle run. Guys get in car accidents (anyone remember USMNT player Charlie Davies missing the 2010 World Cup because of a car crash just a few months before?). These things are rare, but they happen, seemingly out of the blue, with no warning (ask the guy from ELO who got pancaked by a hay bail that randomly rolled down a hill across the country road at the exact moment he was driving by).

Life is dangerous and there are no guarantees no matter what precautions one takes. I strive to live this way and i have always preached it to my kids. Live life and experience as much as you can because shite happens.
He should play if he wants to play, or not if he isn't comfortable.
You've seen a guy blow out his butt lifting weights?

He may already have decided. But we are not going to tell anyone until bowl time. I am sure the same with the Minn. RB. My guess is that neither of them will be there. The only thing would be to take out a huge insurance policy if they were to play. Now with NIL, I am sure that could be "arranged". But in the meantime, don't worry. Babers knows how he has to prepare, and who will be playing and who will not be.

if i am him i go to the coaches and say...i am playing and i want to be on every special team.

and if they say 'you dont have any or enough skills for specials, but we will build the game plan around you'...i guess he goes pro and hopes for the best.

continuing on that thought, and im not going to check every roster, so lets assume every team keeps 3 RBs. for 96 in the league. sure its probably over 100 and im not counting FBs, but whatever.

he wont be RB1 and hell, he wont be RB2 next year either, so that puts him behind door #3 at best.

those guys get drafted rnds 5-7 and if its lower, it means you can play specials too.

it sucks for league tweeners like him. this is likely his last shot to get cheered wearing a uniform and he might let it pass for the hope he hears his name called on day 3, gets some action in preseason games and makes the taxi squad.

if i am him i go to the coaches and say...i am playing and i want to be on every special team.

and if they say 'you dont have any or enough skills for specials, but we will build the game plan around you'...i guess he goes pro and hopes for the best.

continuing on that thought, and im not going to check every roster, so lets assume every team keeps 3 RBs. for 96 in the league. sure its probably over 100 and im not counting FBs, but whatever.

he wont be RB1 and hell, he wont be RB2 next year either, so that puts him behind door #3 at best.

those guys get drafted rnds 5-7 and if its lower, it means you can play specials too.

it sucks for league tweeners like him. this is likely his last shot to get cheered wearing a uniform and he might let it pass for the hope he hears his name called on day 3, gets some action in preseason games and makes the taxi squad.
Tucker for NYG RB1 in 2023!

In all seriousness... I think Tucker is RB2 material. He needs to block and catch better to have a hope for more.

He may already have decided. But we are not going to tell anyone until bowl time. I am sure the same with the Minn. RB. My guess is that neither of them will be there. The only thing would be to take out a huge insurance policy if they were to play. Now with NIL, I am sure that could be "arranged". But in the meantime, don't worry. Babers knows how he has to prepare, and who will be playing and who will not be.
I believe Will Grier announced a few weeks before the Camping world bowl . If I remember I don’t think they usually wait to the last minute to announce. Maybe it’s changed.

I believe Will Grier announced a few weeks before the Camping world bowl . If I remember I don’t think they usually wait to the last minute to announce. Maybe it’s changed.
Agree. I'm sure Dino would love to keep it quiet, but I don't remember many instances where it wasn't known well in advance if someone was opting out. Granted I can't follow all 40 bowls each year.

A fourth round NFL pick is looking at 630K or so...
Ok. It doesn't change my opinion. What does a 7th rounder get? What does a ufa make? How much is a regret worth?
These are individual decisions and all aspects of the decision should be considered.
And what's to say if he got injured in the game that he couldn't still have a good pro career? I've seen Willis McGahee mentioned on here as a cautionary tale, but no one seems to mention he was still a #1 draft pick and had a very good NFL career after rehabbing from about as bad a knee injury as an athlete can get.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom