With Charlie Strong headed to Texas | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

With Charlie Strong headed to Texas

Yeah, Austin is only one of the most desirable places in the country to live/retire. Saban has a house there precisely because its so awful.
How do you know Saban has a house there?

The flips were Shamarko and Brandon Sharpe- two of the keys to Marrone's rebuilding on the program. Shamarko is on my all-time SU team- guy was a beast!
Yeah, but I don't think we offered anyone on the 'Ville commit list. So, it's not as if we would be #2 with any of their commits.

I still don't get why strong would go to Texas. Its not like there an sec school unless he knows something we don't about texas? The ACC and Big 12 are pretty much on the same footing. The pay is something but if he went to jurich he could probably get them to up his to over 4 mil a year

I still don't get why strong would go to Texas. Its not like there an sec school unless he knows something we don't about texas? The ACC and Big 12 are pretty much on the same footing. The pay is something but if he went to jurich he could probably get them to up his to over 4 mil a year

Well, like it or not, Texas is the #1 brand in college football right now.

I don't know if Kentucky has a state income tax, but Texas does not. That increases the net income for someone leaving a state income tax. Ex. LeBron James was never going to NYC or Chicago, both high state and/or local income taxes v. Florida with NO income tax. Remember, his base was ridiculous but his endorsements were way over the top. Going to NYC of Chicago would have cost him millions in taxes each year.

Just one reason.

Another, Texas is a destination job and clearly the big stage. Maybe Strong wants to see how good he is.
Also, He may not like the fact that the ACC is on the rise, especially with FSU and Clemson top 10 teams and Syracuse, NCState and BC improving overall, competition was going to get ridiculous in that division.
And, let's face it, recruiting at UT is probably as easy as it gets. With such a time commitment to recruiting, anything that makes it easier probably makes life better.

Just throwing these out there for discussion. I have no inside info.

I think part of the reason UT wanted Strong because they want someone who can go outside of Texas and recruit. That was one of the problems they had with Mack. He would rarely go out of the state and fight for a kid. See Jameis Winston

As how it effects Syracuse...I went through the L'ville recruiting class last night and saw a few kids, but they would each be highly coveted. I doubt we get anyone from this whole shuffle. We have a lot of wiggle room to with our current class, hopefully we can shock someone

Does the head coach of UT need to go out of the state very often?

I can understand why he'd go to Texas. If the Big 12 is on par with the ACC, it would be similar to him going from Louisville to FSU. It could be viewed more desirable than SEC jobs because the gauntlet to get to the national championship isn't near as bad.

Strong going to Louisville is amazing news for us. Takes another fantastic recruiter out of Florida. Texas will only be going after the top 5-10 guys from FL anyways, not anyone we'd compete for, the rest would be from Texas or top recruits from other states. Having George down there helps us even more once Strong leaves.

Briles was offered last Thursday and he told Texas "no thank you". Briles re-affirmed his commitment to Baylor yesterday. Briles also turned down the Redskins job.

Every media report I saw said Briles was never offered.

and pay no state income tax :)
There are other gotchas, however. *
Things still need to be paid for.
Property taxes are on the high end.
NSTAAFL

* I lived in TX for nearly 8 years and loved it.

n
Every media report I saw said Briles was never offered.

That may be true that Briles was never formally "offered" the job. But I'm sure you read media reports with UT's interest in Briles, Saban, Franklin, Fisher, Shaw, Mora and Strong. Just for the record, was Saban ever "offered" the job? I believe Strong was the only one who was "offered" the job because he is the only one who sat down through the actual interview process.

I promise you one thing, Strong was not UT's number one choice. And I really question Strong's fit with UT. He's the opposite of Mack Brown. Briles is a much, much better fit at UT.

I'm glad Briles is not going anywhere.

I think part of the reason UT wanted Strong because they want someone who can go outside of Texas and recruit. That was one of the problems they had with Mack. He would rarely go out of the state and fight for a kid. See Jameis Winston

As how it effects Syracuse...I went through the L'ville recruiting class last night and saw a few kids, but they would each be highly coveted. I doubt we get anyone from this whole shuffle. We have a lot of wiggle room to with our current class, hopefully we can shock someone

I respectfully disagree. Texas has done a great job of recruiting almost exclusively within the State of Texas. There is absolutely no need to recruit elsewhere. Within a few hours radius of Austin you have Dallas, Houston and San Antonio covered. Probably more D1 recruits in this golden triangle than the State of Pennsylvania.

Recruiting is NOT a problem at UT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom