With Charlie Strong headed to Texas | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

With Charlie Strong headed to Texas

As a local, not happy Strong is gone. He is a class act. Maybe a few growing pains at UT, maybe not. He will do great there. Wish him the best. Wish he had stayed even more. Jurich at UofL will pick the right next coach. I have a lot of respect for Jurich too, and he will get who he wants.

As a local, not happy Strong is gone. He is a class act. Maybe a few growing pains at UT, maybe not. He will do great there. Wish him the best. Wish he had stayed even more. Jurich at UofL will pick the right next coach. I have a lot of respect for Jurich too, and he will get who he wants.
BdPUqF2CUAApcj8.png:large

From Footballscoop:
Louisville:
Sources tell us that Tom Jurich's short list begins with Rich Rodriguez and he is working on it today. Will update once more information is available. Jurich will make this decision and it won't drag on for days and days.

CuseLegacy said:
From Footballscoop: Louisville: Sources tell us that Tom Jurich's short list begins with Rich Rodriguez and he is working on it today. Will update once more information is available. Jurich will make this decision and it won't drag on for days and days.
With the way things went down between Coach Shafer and Rodriguez at UM, SU-UL games could be a lot more interesting if the Cards bring him back from exile in the West.

I still don't get why strong would go to Texas. Its not like there an sec school unless he knows something we don't about texas? The ACC and Big 12 are pretty much on the same footing. The pay is something but if he went to jurich he could probably get them to up his to over 4 mil a year

$5 million per and no state income tax and the opportunity to compete for national titles. What's not to like?

I have faith in Jurich- he won't pick any GRobs for the 'Ville

I respectfully disagree. Texas has done a great job of recruiting almost exclusively within the State of Texas. There is absolutely no need to recruit elsewhere. Within a few hours radius of Austin you have Dallas, Houston and San Antonio covered. Probably more D1 recruits in this golden triangle than the State of Pennsylvania.

Recruiting is NOT a problem at UT.

No probably about it. Way more in that radius than Pa.

I assume he won't make the same mistake twice. Besides 'Ville is a much more attractive job now.

LVille after Petrino wasn't a good job? They were preseason top 10 and returning Brom. Had gone to bowls 9 straight years. LVille was a great job.

Last edited:
LVille after Petrino wasn't a good job?
Didn't say that, but it is a better one now with better talent/better conference. Last hire was a rush job and Jurich went to the familiar. We can disagree but I expect him to make a good choice.

Didn't say that, but it is a better one now with better talent/better conference. Last hire was a rush job and Jurich went to the familiar. We can disagree but I expect him to make a good choice.
Strong was a rush hire?

If i was Jurich
1. chad morris
2. pat narduzzi
3. derek mason
4. rich rod
5. bobby p
Petrino.png
Not Rich Rod. please. Clemson OC apparently high on list. Not against having Bobby back although so much for high integrity, but he does win.

From Footballscoop:
Louisville:
Sources tell us that Tom Jurich's short list begins with Rich Rodriguez and he is working on it today. Will update once more information is available. Jurich will make this decision and it won't drag on for days and days.

If I were RichRod, I would stay at Arizona.

Not Rich Rod. please. Clemson OC apparently high on list. Not against having Bobby back although so much for high integrity, but he does win.
I know a couple Clemson fans aren't exactly in love with Morris, I think that would be a very risky hire for UL. It's pretty telling he hasn't really been mentioned with many other job openings either.

Geoff Ketchum @gkketch
Source says Louisville DC Vance Bedford, LB coach Brian Jean-Mary and S&C coach Pat Moorer.will join Charlie Strong's Texas staff.

I know a couple Clemson fans aren't exactly in love with Morris, I think that would be a very risky hire for UL. It's pretty telling he hasn't really been mentioned with many other job openings either.
and to bring it full circle, it was only a few years ago that Morris was a high school coach in Austin, which Strong will soon be recruiting...

Reading some of you in this thread is hilarious. Like everyone else, I have no idea how the Strong hire will work out for Texas. I will say that I think it is a great hire for UT. I listened to his press conference today and he did a good job. He said he planned to recruit Texas almost exclusively, but reserved the right to use his Florida connections to go after select, elite talent in Florida when it made sense. He did a good job (in my opinion) of striking the right notes in reassuring the Texas HS coaches while still making the overall point that he is about getting the best talent in the program and on the field, wherever that talent comes from.

UT is going to have Texas kids. He isn't going to be filling his classes with Florida players, and he doesn't need to fill his classes with Florida kids. As has been noted by some in this thread, UT recruits itself. He needs to be able to ID the right talent and develop it, which is what fell off at the end of the Mack Brown era.

For those who question Strong's lack of Texas ties, the same thing could have been said about Mack Brown when he was hired. It didn't hamper Brown and it won't hamper Strong. It simply isn't as important at a school like UT. Strong did, in his press conference, say that he would be looking to hire some assistants with Texas ties. UT has a massive alumni network, churning out about 50,000 graduates a year, and enjoys fierce loyalty here in Texas. Getting his foot in the door and getting access to recruits will not be a problem.

and to bring it full circle, it was only a few years ago that Morris was a high school coach in Austin, which Strong will soon be recruiting...

Reading some of you in this thread is hilarious. Like everyone else, I have no idea how the Strong hire will work out for Texas. I will say that I think it is a great hire for UT. I listened to his press conference today and he did a good job. He said he planned to recruit Texas almost exclusively, but reserved the right to use his Florida connections to go after select, elite talent in Florida when it made sense. He did a good job (in my opinion) of striking the right notes in reassuring the Texas HS coaches while still making the overall point that he is about getting the best talent in the program and on the field, wherever that talent comes from.

UT is going to have Texas kids. He isn't going to be filling his classes with Florida players, and he doesn't need to fill his classes with Florida kids. As has been noted by some in this thread, UT recruits itself. He needs to be able to ID the right talent and develop it, which is what fell off at the end of the Mack Brown era.

For those who question Strong's lack of Texas ties, the same thing could have been said about Mack Brown when he was hired. It didn't hamper Brown and it won't hamper Strong. It simply isn't as important at a school like UT. Strong did, in his press conference, say that he would be looking to hire some assistants with Texas ties. UT has a massive alumni network, churning out about 50,000 graduates a year, and enjoys fierce loyalty here in Texas. Getting his foot in the door and getting access to recruits will not be a problem.

The problem with Strong is that he does not like the time it takes to rub shoulders with, and shake hands of, boosters, alumni, and other stake holders. He's not the kind of coach that frankly likes the obligations of being one of the most visible public figures in Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom