With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

With One Regular Season Done, are you warming up to the ACC

Your thought on the ACC after one season

• Like it

Votes: 63 68.5%
  • Dislike - but less than I did before the season

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • Dislike/Hate as much as I did before the season

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
You have a very talented coach and he has worked miracles, but you are going up against entrenched big time recruiting machines. You will fall back to the pack next year, not unlike Miami who is also well coached.

I'm sorry, but other than a good coach and both having the best regular season ACC record, I literally see zero comparison to this UVa team and last year's Miami team. It was obvious they would be a one-hit wonder...they lost a huge senior class, and an NBA early entry who left in large part because he knew he'd never be able to duplicate the season he had with what was coming back. They lost their top 6 players, and returned like 10 ppg...most of that being Rion Brown.

We do lose Harris & Mitchell, but Justin Anderson (a sophomore, and ACC 6th man of the Year) is in line to inherit a good chunk of Joe's minutes. Anthony Gill has a higher scoring average in 7 minutes less per game than Akil, and will get considerably more minutes next year. We return London Perrantes, arguably the 3rd best freshman in the ACC this year. We bring back a 3rd starter who only averaged 18 mpg, Mike Tobey in the middle. We bring back 2 key bench contributors in Atkins & Nolte. Our best player this year (Brogdon) is back for 2 more seasons.

Then our newcomers...we redshirted a 6'5 combo guard (Hall) who was a higher rated player than Perrantes last year. BJ Stith (Bryant's son) and Isaiah Wilkins ('Nique's son) are inbound freshmen and both will likely play next year.

With Bennett running the show, I can almost guarantee we will not be Miami next year or anywhere near the bottom of the league or playing on Wednesday in the 2015 ACC Tournament.

Don't like it any more than I did when the announcement was made, but I suppose that the move to the ACC was a necessary evil.
ACC vs. ACK

It's a simple decision that should've happened 10 years ago.

ACC vs. ACK

It's a simple decision that should've happened 10 years ago.

I can see this from the football side, but then we'd have missed out on things like the 6 OT classic...really, I don't even feel I need to continue the list after that. Some would add the rivalry with Louisville, etc to that list.

The Big East WAS great but it reminds me of leaving college...you look back with a lot of wonderful memories but now it's time to grow up and get a job which is the ACC. Love the ACC and it does have it's obvious faults (No MSG) but it has so many pluses with so many opportunities to see SU play all along the eastern coast. I kind of embrace the outsider/insider label and as long as SU is competitive or better things will work out quite well overall.

For basketball the big games were great, but we are really going to need the bottom schools to pick it up except when they are playing us.

I fixed that for you.

Love the conference, hate the refs, ACC network and bojangles ads

I think we all underestimated just how much the refs would favor the home team every time out. The refs in the BE were bad but they seemed to be equally bad home and way with no preference given. In the ACC it seems that the home team always gets the better of the calls.

Love it. Sad about the BET and miss the SNY tv deal, but couldn't be happier. The ACC has been great for SU and I think with the bowl win and the attention the basketball team has brought, Syracuse has held up its end of the deal as well.

Was ecstatic about the move from the second it was announced, but the transition has been better than I expected. Also feel more welcome in the ACC than expected. Even FSU and Clemson fans seem to be coming around that we actually offer something to the conference.

I think we all underestimated just how much the refs would favor the home team every time out. The refs in the BE were bad but they seemed to be equally bad home and way with no preference given. In the ACC it seems that the home team always gets the better of the calls.

The BE had some refs that preferred to make a spectical of themselves as they made calls against the home team. It was unique but equally Infuriating.

As a football fan I love the ACC move. As a hoops fan I love the ACC matchups although am less than impressed with the refs dishing up home cooking and not just in games involving Syracuse. I think we did well by scheduling some former BE rivals ooc though.

As a Liverpool fan, F Man United.

I have mixed feelings. I prefer the ACC to where the Big East was/is headed but will never like it as much as the old Big East (pre 1995), in regards to basketball. I guess I'm a sucker for tradition and loved our rivalries with Georgetown, UConn, and whoever else happened to be good from time to time. I'd say I even preferred the last generation of the basketball Big East with Louisville and the others I mentioned, despite the lack of tradition. In regards to football, it was a no brainer. The Big East was brain dead and on life support, so the move had to be made.

It was the right move, but I'll always long for the good ole days.

I can see this from the football side, but then we'd have missed out on things like the 6 OT classic...really, I don't even feel I need to continue the list after that. Some would add the rivalry with Louisville, etc to that list.

Could've had a 6OT game over Duke.

Think about a decade of USF and Rutgers Al. yuck.

I like the ACC for football and I am adjusting for hoops. Like many the BET is what I will miss the most. I used to watch all of it regardless of who was playing. With the ACCT I don't see myself watching anything other than the games we are in.

For me, I like it ONLY because of what has become of the Big East. I do not wish we are in what is the Big East now, nor the AAC. In retrospect, if this was the only option we had in regards to saving ourselves, then I am very glad. It's actually not bad at all. (But I would have rather enjoyed old Big East days if I was given a choice).

Except the refs. Who knew there was this much of a drop off?

Football, well this is a no brainer.

I was too young to have interest in basketball during the peak of the Big East, and by that same reason couldn't care less about Georgetown. It sucks not having regular games with Uconn, SJU or Villanova (H/H notwithstanding for the latter two) but we used to have rivalries with Bonaventure and Niagra as well. As we get a few more years into this conference, I think we will develop similar feelings toward the ACC schools. It's already started with Duke and NC State.

The bottom of the league is pretty bad, but it has more upside than the bottom of the Big East did. Boston College, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forrest have all been pretty solid recently. South Florida, Depaul and Seton Hall are just dreadful programs.

The BE had degenerated into NBA Lite, and was morphing to Thugball at light speed. It was fun while it lasted, but had long since passed its "best before" date. It was time to move on.

Going back to the original Big East, teams that get mocked like Providence and Seton Hall did manage to make Final 4 appearances. Whenever a league gets too huge, you can't have every team getting a tournament bid.

Could've had a 6OT game over Duke.

Think about a decade of USF and Rutgers Al. yuck.

Yeah and I could have won the jackpot if I bought more tickets, and then you could have 1 less person on here who doesn't agree with the majority at every turn. ;) (yes, I admit it's likely I'd have more options to pacify my time...maybe I'd have CTO-level seats, be on the speed-dial of a couple cheerleaders, and/or be dead from too much partying).

My point being that is isn't that easy to convince an objective person that unlikely things that did occur would have been nearly as likely to to occur under different circumstances. How many other games have lasted longer than the 6OT game, in a tournament no less? I do get your point though, that possibly greater things could have happened and I'm sure some would have. I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree that the last 10 years of the Big East basketball were so bad. It wasn't that long ago it was called the best conference ever. I already likely have on (unspoken) lifetime ban by the selection committee for the member tournament on here, so I want to be on record as saying I thoroughly enjoyed the last 10 years of Big East basketball and do not think the East Indian-like caste gap that has been the ACC would have been half as enjoyable.

This post makes no comment on this season or any season going forward in the ACC, to be clear.

It's bad for me because it's a lot harder for me to see any games. I used to go to St.Johns, Seton Hall, Rutgirls, and Villanova games. This year I haven't gone to any games.

Also, playing at Cameron really stinks. It's a festival of bad sportsmanship. I just don't like it that our players are within spitting distance of the students. I don't like having a black referee make a crucial call to decide the game in front of 6000 "crazy" white people from North Carolina! If he didn't call a charge they would have hung him from the rafters with the retired jerseys. And don't tell me there's no racism in North Carolina. My father-in-law lives there and it's a different world. I really don't like Duke fans and Cameron.

Other than that, Duke at the Dome was awesome! In the long term I think it really helps the Syracuse basketball brand and recruiting.

Boeheim nailed it. Leaving the 1988 Big East, I'd hate. The 2013 Big East? Whatever.
Plus Tobacco Road for however annoying they can be, at least cares about basketball. G'town doesn't even make the Mt Rushmore of sports in DC.

I'm with you. I am 100% behind the move to the ACC because it offered us stability and improved financial wherewithal.

But if year one demonstrated anything, its that those rednecks can't stand us. And personally speaking, the feeling is mutual.

Which is fine by me. I didn't like any of our Big East brethren, either. Kumbaya circles are overrated.

I think that the ACC is going to be great for us long term. And I look forward to forging new rivalries there. But the widespread vitriol spewed our way from the majority of ACC fanbases and media most of the year coupled with the thinly veiled screw job we got from the refs in certain circumstances doesn't sit well with me.

Duke, UVA, UNC and Wake Forest as "rednecks"? Interesting concept.

If any school has a "redneck" (lower socionomic class) student body and fan base, it's Louisville and not even Georgia Tech.

I love it. The football season was a great transition and obviously having successful seasons in both sports has really helped me enjoy it more. My biggest concern heading into the conference was indifference towards Syracuse from opposing fan bases. In the Big East I felt like every team had Syracuse circled on their schedules and we were considered some sort of rival. Obviously being good helps but seeing packed gyms and reading opposing team's sites, it's pretty clear that everyone in the league has an opinion on Syracuse.

It's bad for me because it's a lot harder for me to see any games. I used to go to St.Johns, Seton Hall, Rutgirls, and Villanova games. This year I haven't gone to any games.

Also, playing at Cameron really stinks. It's a festival of bad sportsmanship. I just don't like it that our players are within spitting distance of the students. I don't like having a black referee make a crucial call to decide the game in front of 6000 "crazy" white people from North Carolina! If he didn't call a charge they would have hung him from the rafters with the retired jerseys. And don't tell me there's no racism in North Carolina. My father-in-law lives there and it's a different world. I really don't like Duke fans and Cameron.

Other than that, Duke at the Dome was awesome! In the long term I think it really helps the Syracuse basketball brand and recruiting.

You are aware that the majority of the Duke students in those stands are from NY, NJ and PA and not "The South"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom