WWE Thread

Knicks411

Living Legend
Hogan is probably a bigger alltime but Austin is definitely up there.
I am not a Hogan fan but the 80’s and then his heel turn nWo would probably trump Austin.
I personally prefer Austin but Hogan probably is slightly bigger.

I figured I was opening a can of worms with that comment...

Hogan has more longevity. I do think, at their respective peaks, Austin was a bigger star. I don't think by a lot.

It is kind of crazy to think Austin's real super hot run as a face was basically the end of 97 to the end of 99. He was then out for nearly a year, the comeback was ok but not great but the Mania X7 match was obviously massive, and then the heel turn

Briancuse

Living Legend
I figured I was opening a can of worms with that comment...

Hogan has more longevity. I do think, at their respective peaks, Austin was a bigger star. I don't think by a lot.

It is kind of crazy to think Austin's real super hot run as a face was basically the end of 97 to the end of 99. He was then out for nearly a year, the comeback was ok but not great but the Mania X7 match was obviously massive, and then the heel turn
I think Hulk did a little better job capitalizing on his success out of the ring. Steve was content to go home or to his hotel room and just drink. You saw the part last night where the first three years after he retired he went into a depression and kept to himself and drank for three years.

Knicks411

Living Legend
I think Hulk did a little better job capitalizing on his success out of the ring. Steve was content to go home or to his hotel room and just drink. You saw the part last night where the first three years after he retired he went into a depression and kept to himself and drank for three years.

Outside of wrestling its for sure Hogan. But then if you bring that into the equation, then there's no other conclusion but Rock is the biggest ever

CuseRunner

All American
Coming Soon to RAW ...

God I missed her.

With Eva Marie return. I have longed for a return of sorts to the divas era. Have the storylines for the top women wrestlers like Sasha Banks Bayley etc.

But have the storylines pushes for the swimsuit models playboy pinups like Mandy Rose Eva Marie like in the attitude early mid 2000s and divas era. Draw more male non wrestling fans viewers.

jncuse

Living Legend
With Eva Marie return. I have longed for a return of sorts to the divas era. Have the storylines for the top women wrestlers like Sasha Banks Bayley etc.

But have the storylines pushes for the swimsuit models playboy pinups like Mandy Rose Eva Marie like in the attitude early mid 2000s and divas era. Draw more male non wrestling fans viewers.
Could you be any more out of touch?

jncuse

Living Legend
I enjoy both era the divas attitude era and the womens revolution era. There is room for both.

The days of "puppies", "lingerie matches", "Diva Search swimsuit competitions" are seen as a darker period of WWE -- its pretty much stated directly or indirectly on many of the WWE Network programming -- I doubt that many in the WWE corporate office want to go back to the era. There is also much more respect for women wrestling and the role of women now amongst the wrestling casual and mark community.

Did I have some laughs and giggles at the stuff that happened when I was in my 20's. Certainly, but things have changed how we start to view things and not only because I got older... I think it wouldn't work for the majority of the teen /younger adult generation like it did between 1997-2009. I don't think "puppies" would work well today for a public company or a large wrestling organization like AEW.

There is still a way to keep and to an extent sell "s e xiness" in woman's wrestling but its not going back to the attitude era either.

Last edited:

CuseRunner

All American
The days of "puppies", "lingerie matches", "Diva Search swimsuit competitions" are seen as a darker period of WWE -- its pretty much stated directly or indirectly on many of the WWE Network programming -- I doubt that many in the WWE corporate office want to go back to the era. There is also much more respect for women wrestling and the role of women now amongst the wrestling casual and mark community.

Did I have some laughs and giggles at the stuff that happened when I was in my 20's. Certainly, but things have changed how we start to view things and not only because I got older... I think it wouldn't work for the majority of the teen /younger adult generation like it did between 1997-2009. I don't think "puppies" would work well today for a public company or a large wrestling organization like AEW.

There is still a way to keep and to an extent sell "s e xiness" in woman's wrestling but its not going back to the attitude era either.

U know Mandy Rose Dana Brooke Eva Marie Lana etc I'm not saying they need to be womens championys but they deserve a push too. U could find storyline tv time for then that would bring viewers and ratings.

jncuse

Living Legend
U know Mandy Rose Dana Brooke Eva Marie Lana etc I'm not saying they need to be womens championys but they deserve a push too. U could find storyline tv time for then that would bring viewers and ratings.

I am not against them being used at all. They did some decent stuff with Carmela at times over the past three years (plus a fair amount of garbage) and I guess she would fall more in the looks vs skill side.

But two main points
1) I agree they can be used and there looks can be showcased as well. But they cannot be placed in storylines or scenarios like the 1998-2009 Diva's. That just will not work today.

2) They have tried to put all of the names you mentioned in some story lines in the past 6 months. The problem is the storyline they give them are generally bad.

The solution is to get better storylines, less dead time on Raw. Not sending them out on TV for lingerie segments.

Symphony Steve

All Conference
Daniel Bryan's contract with WWE has expired, according to Dave Meltzer.

While he is likely to resign, he could sure have some great matches in AEW...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom