WWE Thread | Page 71 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

Hogan is probably a bigger alltime but Austin is definitely up there.
I am not a Hogan fan but the 80’s and then his heel turn nWo would probably trump Austin.
I personally prefer Austin but Hogan probably is slightly bigger.

I figured I was opening a can of worms with that comment...

Hogan has more longevity. I do think, at their respective peaks, Austin was a bigger star. I don't think by a lot.

It is kind of crazy to think Austin's real super hot run as a face was basically the end of 97 to the end of 99. He was then out for nearly a year, the comeback was ok but not great but the Mania X7 match was obviously massive, and then the heel turn

I figured I was opening a can of worms with that comment...

Hogan has more longevity. I do think, at their respective peaks, Austin was a bigger star. I don't think by a lot.

It is kind of crazy to think Austin's real super hot run as a face was basically the end of 97 to the end of 99. He was then out for nearly a year, the comeback was ok but not great but the Mania X7 match was obviously massive, and then the heel turn
I think Hulk did a little better job capitalizing on his success out of the ring. Steve was content to go home or to his hotel room and just drink. You saw the part last night where the first three years after he retired he went into a depression and kept to himself and drank for three years.

I think Hulk did a little better job capitalizing on his success out of the ring. Steve was content to go home or to his hotel room and just drink. You saw the part last night where the first three years after he retired he went into a depression and kept to himself and drank for three years.

Outside of wrestling its for sure Hogan. But then if you bring that into the equation, then there's no other conclusion but Rock is the biggest ever

Coming Soon to RAW ...

God I missed her.

With Eva Marie return. I have longed for a return of sorts to the divas era. Have the storylines for the top women wrestlers like Sasha Banks Bayley etc.

But have the storylines pushes for the swimsuit models playboy pinups like Mandy Rose Eva Marie like in the attitude early mid 2000s and divas era. Draw more male non wrestling fans viewers.

With Eva Marie return. I have longed for a return of sorts to the divas era. Have the storylines for the top women wrestlers like Sasha Banks Bayley etc.

But have the storylines pushes for the swimsuit models playboy pinups like Mandy Rose Eva Marie like in the attitude early mid 2000s and divas era. Draw more male non wrestling fans viewers.
Could you be any more out of touch?

I enjoy both era the divas attitude era and the womens revolution era. There is room for both.

The days of "puppies", "lingerie matches", "Diva Search swimsuit competitions" are seen as a darker period of WWE -- its pretty much stated directly or indirectly on many of the WWE Network programming -- I doubt that many in the WWE corporate office want to go back to the era. There is also much more respect for women wrestling and the role of women now amongst the wrestling casual and mark community.

Did I have some laughs and giggles at the stuff that happened when I was in my 20's. Certainly, but things have changed how we start to view things and not only because I got older... I think it wouldn't work for the majority of the teen /younger adult generation like it did between 1997-2009. I don't think "puppies" would work well today for a public company or a large wrestling organization like AEW.

There is still a way to keep and to an extent sell "sexiness" in woman's wrestling but its not going back to the attitude era either.

Last edited:
The days of "puppies", "lingerie matches", "Diva Search swimsuit competitions" are seen as a darker period of WWE -- its pretty much stated directly or indirectly on many of the WWE Network programming -- I doubt that many in the WWE corporate office want to go back to the era. There is also much more respect for women wrestling and the role of women now amongst the wrestling casual and mark community.

Did I have some laughs and giggles at the stuff that happened when I was in my 20's. Certainly, but things have changed how we start to view things and not only because I got older... I think it wouldn't work for the majority of the teen /younger adult generation like it did between 1997-2009. I don't think "puppies" would work well today for a public company or a large wrestling organization like AEW.

There is still a way to keep and to an extent sell "s e xiness" in woman's wrestling but its not going back to the attitude era either.

U know Mandy Rose Dana Brooke Eva Marie Lana etc I'm not saying they need to be womens championys but they deserve a push too. U could find storyline tv time for then that would bring viewers and ratings.

U know Mandy Rose Dana Brooke Eva Marie Lana etc I'm not saying they need to be womens championys but they deserve a push too. U could find storyline tv time for then that would bring viewers and ratings.

I am not against them being used at all. They did some decent stuff with Carmela at times over the past three years (plus a fair amount of garbage) and I guess she would fall more in the looks vs skill side.

But two main points
1) I agree they can be used and there looks can be showcased as well. But they cannot be placed in storylines or scenarios like the 1998-2009 Diva's. That just will not work today.

2) They have tried to put all of the names you mentioned in some story lines in the past 6 months. The problem is the storyline they give them are generally bad.

The solution is to get better storylines, less dead time on Raw. Not sending them out on TV for lingerie segments.

Daniel Bryan's contract with WWE has expired, according to Dave Meltzer.

While he is likely to resign, he could sure have some great matches in AEW...

Run-ins with music was/is just so absurd. Why would the guys music magically play when he comes for a “surprise” run in to help a face in peril or something? So stupid. Wrestling was way better when they didn’t play theme music when someone came running down the aisle for the save.

Run-ins with music was/is just so absurd. Why would the guys music magically play when he comes for a “surprise” run in to help a face in peril or something? So stupid. Wrestling was way better when they didn’t play theme music when someone came running down the aisle for the save.

Sandman was the best, he would "save" someone but he'd do his whole entrance with the song, pounding the beers, etc.

I've watched the first half of the Vice show on Brian Pillman, need to finish the rest. I know the story really well, but even so, this is really good

Random thought as I was recently watching a Hulk Hogan match from the 80's.

Has a wrestling hero ever had a more cowardly common move then Hogan's back rake / scratch?

For some reason I started watching some 2000 Raws from early in the year.

Amazing how over everybody was. Fans loudly talking along with the catchphrases of mid or even lower card guys like the New Age Outlaws and The Godfather as well as Rock, Jericho, etc. Even Too Cool was very over. These guys all got louder reactions every week than almost the whole roster in the last 10 years.

An actual tag division. Edge and Christian, Hardy’s, Dudleys, Outlaws, APA, Too Cool - they were all over and credible.

The matches were mostly trash but they were short and the fans were into them.

The fans were actually there to have fun, and not to try to hijack everything and to throw a fit because nobody would listen to their own nerdy fantasy booking. The fans made the show so much better back then. This was also before the stupid “what” chants.

Ive read the reports that the Rock and HHH had tension, and knowing that makes their exchanges and digs even better, lol.

How the hell did they get away with 80 year old Mae Young taking a top rope power bomb through a table? What the hell? That could’ve went very, very wrong. Dumb and crazy, IMO.

Random thought as I was recently watching a Hulk Hogan match from the 80's.

Has a wrestling hero ever had a more cowardly common move then Hogan's back rake / scratch?
I've been watching old WWE stuff on Peacock

Hogan's stuff really doesn't age well and really shows how good they were at building and selling him

I've been watching old WWE stuff on Peacock

Hogan's stuff really doesn't age well and really shows how good they were at building and selling him

One thing that really annoys me with the Hogan era stuff is the overdubs of the entrances because many of them used popular songs. You watch “Eye of the Tiger” era Hogan and the crowd is clearly going nuts as he comes down, but all you hear is a weirdly overdubbed version of “Real American”. It ruins Koko B Ware, Steamboat, Junkyard Dog...lots of guys entrances.

One thing that really annoys me with the Hogan era stuff is the overdubs of the entrances because many of them used popular songs. You watch “Eye of the Tiger” era Hogan and the crowd is clearly going nuts as he comes down, but all you hear is a weirdly overdubbed version of “Real American”. It ruins Koko B Ware, Steamboat, Junkyard Dog...lots of guys entrances.

Yeah you really lose a lot sometimes with the music dubbing. ECW even more

Yeah you really lose a lot sometimes with the music dubbing. ECW even more

Every I hear White Zombie "Thunderkiss 65" I replay the ECW opening in my head

58. Frankly it’s kinda shocking he made it that long given all the drugs he supposedly did and the insane abuse he put his body through.

Hot take: SMW New Jack >>> ECW New Jack.
I'll always respect him for Terri Runnels alone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom