WWE Thread | Page 83 | Syracusefan.com

WWE Thread

The problem with the "Survivor Series" Concept is there are really no consequences and nobody is fighting for anything.

I watched snippets of Raw + Smackdown over the past few weeks and it seemed one of the main themes of the show was members fighting or being screwed off teams in a match that meant **** all.

We had the GM on RAW, saying that he was changing the team because he could not "live with himself" if he made a mistake that led to RAW losing. Except he is also the GM of Smackdown FFS, and used similar concepts of having to win for Smackdown when changing their team.

The WWE for the most part has had fairly decent PPV's this year. Not near the level of the last two AEW shows clearly but still fairly decent by WWE standards especially when we watch their regular TV product. But you can't build a decent show when there are literally no consequences for winning or losing and very little heat. Or showcasing 5 by 5 matches where nobody cares about winning for their team.

It's a bad concept that either needs to change -- or the WWE at least build some rationale for why these matches happen. I heard somebody online mention that the winning team should all be guaranteed title shots over the next year -- now that would make sense -- people would fight hard to be on the team, would make them work hard to win for their team, and there would be real consequences. But the WWE just prefers to deliver fluff.
Yeah - back in the day when guys would have like 3 feuds per year, and none of the major stars would ever wrestle each other on the regular tv shows - it was cool to see these guys team up and interact and face other similar level guys that they may never have feuded with yet, because it felt special.

Now these guys all wrestle each other all the time with all the PPVs, weekly shows, faster paced angles, etc. so they just feel like some random Raw 8 man tag main event or something.

Prime Time was such a great show. Baffled why there’s still only 1-2 episodes for 1991 and 1992 on the Network? Those years were a large part of my wrestling fan childhood. Hope they get on there eventually.

Taking my kids to Day 1 in Atlanta tonight! Pretty good card to kickoff the year...
20220101_152013.jpg

Enjoy! I get Peacock for free, so I'll be watching...
I just remembered I get Peacock for a year now. so I might check it out if the football isn't exciting.

Reigns tested positive for Covid and is not going to wrestle tonight.
Seriously? They kept him off all the house shows so that wouldn't happen. I gotta check this out for myself...

You're right:

"I yearn to perform tonight at #WWEDay1 to defend my Universal Championship. However, unfortunately, earlier today I tested positive for COVID-19," Reigns tweeted. "Due to the proper protocols I am unable to compete as originally scheduled. I look forward to returning to action as soon as possible."

Lesnar is now in what now becomes a 'Fatal Five-Way.

Oh, well. Back to binge-watching 'Only Murders In This Building'...

Lesnar-Reigns was about the only fairly good thing they had been doing recently.

My guess is they change things on the fly, have Lesnar win the Raw Title tonight and the new plan is to do some sort of title unification match at Wrestlemania.

They probably had no firm plan on how to get from today to Wrestlemania anyway, everything is on the fly with WWE.

Lesnar-Reigns was about the only fairly good thing they had been doing recently.

My guess is they change things on the fly, have Lesnar win the Raw Title tonight and the new plan is to do some sort of title unification match at Wrestlemania.

They probably had no firm plan on how to get from today to Wrestlemania anyway, everything is on the fly with WWE.
It’s definitely going to be Lesnar-Reigns at Mania. The only question will be whether Reigns interferes at the Rumble and causes Lesnar to lose the title to Lashley. Otherwise I could see both belts being on the line like Becky Lynch won a few years back. I’m not sure I see unification with how many people are on the roster and that both networks will want their own champ.

And yes, it’s all on the fly. Rollins was supposed to win the title had Covid not hit.

Watched some of Smackdown last night. Nah.

I don’t like anything about WWE anymore. The matches, the promos, the commentary, the crowds, the cameras…nothing. Feels like watching some super polished and fake total divas show but with a little more violence.

AEW has at least done a better job of making it feel like competition and giving things a little more “grit”.

Very interesting to have a current champion from another organization appearing in the Royal Rumble. Is this the beginning of a partnership forming or a one off?
AEW worked with TNA last year.

Don Callis managing Kenny Omega.
Omega was dual brand champion before dropping TNa to Christian who dropped it back to a TNA person before the partnership ended.

Vince is desperate.
He is aged like a mummy. He went from looking like he was in 50s to look really old real quick like in 70s.

My prediction he will sell whole enchilada when these TV contracts expire. HHH will realize he isn’t the successor he thought and will divorce Stephanie.

Watched some of Smackdown last night. Nah.

I don’t like anything about WWE anymore. The matches, the promos, the commentary, the crowds, the cameras…nothing. Feels like watching some super polished and fake total divas show but with a little more violence.

AEW has at least done a better job of making it feel like competition and giving things a little more “grit”.
I DVR and watch AEW.
The roster is loaded with talent.
They have actual storylines and don’t chit on their fans.
WWE now is just relying on children and people thinking their brand is superior.
WWE can’t book anyone but the chosen few because is pissed people like Rock, Austin became bigger than the brand and he couldn’t control them.
Cena had the entire toothpaste squeezed out and allowed to leave.
3 hour raw is just unwatchable.
You would have to pay to watch it.

It’s pure garbage recycled week after week.
Smack down could be better but I am not watching on Friday and I am not giving Vince any dvr. His product sucks.

AEW worked with TNA last year.

Don Callis managing Kenny Omega.
Omega was dual brand champion before dropping TNa to Christian who dropped it back to a TNA person before the partnership ended.

Vince is desperate.
He is aged like a mummy. He went from looking like he was in 50s to look really old real quick like in 70s.

My prediction he will sell whole enchilada when these TV contracts expire. HHH will realize he isn’t the successor he thought and will divorce Stephanie.
Yeah I see what you are saying. I know many brands have worked together but stubborn Vince doesn’t usually do that. You’re right that it could be out of desperation.

A big problem with WWE is that there are only a handful of guys at the championship level. Reigns, Lesnar, McIntyre, Rollins, Lashley, Big E, Owens and Edge are it and Owens and Edge aren’t winning any titles. Vince let go of a number of superstars who could be fighting for the titles. Even a year ago at this time, there were probably double the number of top guys. Women are in even worse shape. I think I read there are only 18 women on the roster which is why they need to get all these extra people to fill a 30 woman rumble match.

Having said all that, I still watch the big 4 “ppv’s” and am excited for the Rumble. Lesnar-Lashley, Reigns-Rollins and the two Rumble matches are about as good as you can ask for with what they are working with. But after the Reigns-Lesnar WrestleMania match, there’s a lot of work to be done to get the company back to where it should be. Interested to see how it goes.

Haven’t followed closely in awhile but have seen a good amount of PPVs still. As far as I know, AJ Styles is pure midcarder right? He should go to AEW. He’s one of the best guys they have, but isn’t used as such. Just like Jericho, for the last 10 years of his WWE career.

Haven’t followed closely in awhile but have seen a good amount of PPVs still. As far as I know, AJ Styles is pure midcarder right? He should go to AEW. He’s one of the best guys they have, but isn’t used as such. Just like Jericho, for the last 10 years of his WWE career.
He’s being used now to get over young talent. On both Raw and NXT I think. Hope they give him a shot at the championship again but not looking likely right now.

Former SU football player Omari Palmer has been playing the character Odyssey Jones on WWE NXT, which is an absolutely horrid TV experience.

Unfortunately, he suffered a ruptured patella tendon in a recent match, and will likely be out of action until the fall.

Is anyone actually going to watch the Rumble over the NFL this Sunday? I get Peacock with my Spectrum package this year. I might have it on my laptop while I watch the football on tv, but won't be watching intently.

Is anyone actually going to watch the Rumble over the NFL this Sunday? I get Peacock with my Spectrum package this year. I might have it on my laptop while I watch the football on tv, but won't be watching intently.

It's on Saturday night.

It's on Saturday night.
Yep, WWE changed it to Saturday. I heard they are going to be experimenting a little with Saturday ppvs this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom