Your Ideal ACC expansion | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your Ideal ACC expansion

For those posters choosing Cincinnati as a team the ACC should target, why? I'm genuinely asking why them over a UCF or WVU. Is it recruiting, a sentimental pick? Just curious.
Their football team is currently better, they’re a storied basketball program and they give Louisville another natural regional rivalry.

A regional rivalry between Louisville and Cincy damages the SEC in both basketball and football imo. Win, win. Not sure Memphis fits the ACC, which is why I choose UCF instead.

Maryland should be in the ACC.

Their football team is currently better, they’re a storied basketball program and they give Louisville another natural regional rivalry.
I think Louisville has played Cincy more than any other team in both football and basketball.

But at this point, Cincy cannot help the ACC enough to bother adding.

It's really just ND + whichever school they want to add. If we want we can add WVU to the OOC rotation with Rutgers, UConn, Maryland, etc.

It will all be driven by conference $$, that players may get a share of. If the ACCN can generate an additional $10M per school? Only then do i think the ACC remains relevant.

With no full time ND

Oklahoma st
Houston
BYU
Kansas or whoever brings in the most money

Realignment crazy season. I see stuff all over the board. A WV Youtuber sez he has confirmed them to the ACC...and get this: BC,WF, Cuse and GT will all get kicked out so they can take in more more teams from theB12 and the AAC. Go to 2 min mark.

This UT poster sez that Clemson told the ACC to expand and fast...to 20

I think Louisville has played Cincy more than any other team in both football and basketball.

But at this point, Cincy cannot help the ACC enough to bother adding.
Louisville plays Cinci for The Keg of Nails.

I don't know who I want, but I definitely know I don't want WVU. They'd bring nothing to the conference besides the worst fans in college sports and burning couches.

would not generate enough money from espn to even bother
Agree. The only school that moves the football needle is ND. Anything else is applying a band aid to a massive wound.

Realignment crazy season. I see stuff all over the board. A WV Youtuber sez he has confirmed them to the ACC...and get this: BC,WF, Cuse and GT will all get kicked out so they can take in more more teams from theB12 and the AAC. Go to 2 min mark.

This UT poster sez that Clemson told the ACC to expand and fast...to 20

WVU fans per capita have to be the craziest in the country. Couch burning is mild potatoes compared to the rest of it.

It will all be driven by conference $$, that players may get a share of. If the ACCN can generate an additional $10M per school? Only then do i think the ACC remains relevant.
That likely requires ND as full member in football.

The UNC-Dook basketball rivalry is easily the largest, and therefore most valuable, in the country. Both BT and SEC know that and know that the schools are twined in every way. If both now plan to be 24 team Super Conferences, both are probably going to offer UNC and Dook along with UVA. The most low brow type SEC guy will assume that the DSEC is now above such an offer, but it will be made to keep the BT from getting UNC and UVA. The BT with UNC and UVA has a huge chance to get Clemson and FSU, as then certainly ND, into the BT.

The only move that the BT now can make to cause major for the SEC down the line is for ND, UVA, UNC, Dook, Clemson, and FSU to be in the BT.

Both BT and SEC already decided No to Wake and WVU.
Would UNC and Duke really consider leaving the ACC where they are king for any conference. In the SEC and B10, they would be 2nd class citizens for decades. All they have to do is a) look how PSU was treated and b) how Pitt, SU and BC has been treated by the ACC. Look how long it took PSU to recover in fb, and Pitt in both fb and bb. The core of the old ACC will stick together because that's where their power is.

Would UNC and Duke really consider leaving the ACC where they are king for any conference. In the SEC and B10, they would be 2nd class citizens for decades. All they have to do is a) look how PSU was treated and b) how Pitt, SU and BC has been treated by the ACC. Look how long it took PSU to recover in fb, and Pitt in both fb and bb. The core of the old ACC will stick together because that's where their power is.
Only if Clemson and FSU leave and ND refuses to be a full football member. Even UNC's basketball-onlys (as I berate them) have finally realized that football is much bigger than basketball, and that means UNC must be a truly Major conference for football or else its hoops eventually will suffer.

If ACC football loses its only 2 large attendance programs, ACC football is hurt, badly, irreparably over time. That would be a blow like the SEC taking Arkansas from the SWC. It will kill the league, slowly, at least in terms of Big Time football.

I've tried so many times to understand the ND "independence is soooo valuable" to us thing and it's a paper tiger wrapped in nostalgia and old dollar bills

It might be the difference in us even playing football in 15 years and it makes no sense to anyone

I've tried so many times to understand the ND "independence is soooo valuable" to us thing and it's a paper tiger wrapped in nostalgia and old dollar bills

It might be the difference in us even playing football in 15 years and it makes no sense to anyone
I understand it: it's just like the old ND refusal to play in bowls. This one also will go away at some point.

college football has dealt with 5-6 nihilistic periods and ND's position is we can beat down every single one by coming up with our own solutions to these problems.

At the end of the day there's always one seat available to them no matter how dire it looks for other programs. To do anything else would be foolish if that was the position any school had.

They also have the distinction of not having to chase the last penny like we do. Clearly they are losing money right now with their deal.

ND is special and unique. Unfortunately in a world of where everyone is angry at arrangements that prop one person higher than the rest it can be difficult to understand.

It seems crazy to us, but I believe TerryD that there would be an uproar among the longtime ND fans based on a few that I know. They think ND football is too special to be in a conference and stands alone.

It seems crazy to us, but I believe TerryD that there would be an uproar among the longtime ND fans based on a few that I know. They think ND football is too special to be in a conference and stands alone.
Yeah, I agree that they exist, I just don't buy their arguments. They are special - but I don't think not belonging to a conference is as big a part of it as they seem to.

notre dame and WVU are the obvious candidates for ACC expansion, but I would love to see Cincy end up in the conference too.

you would need to bring in an even number if schools, and with that in mind I think Memphis would also be a good fit.

i doubt it happens because 16 teams is way easier to schedule than 18, but considering the way things are going an aggressive mindset here is definitely the best option.

ND
WVU
Cincy
Memphis

they make sense geographically, three fit traditionally, and all are serious about basketball.

who would you like to see join the conference?
wvu,,baylor,texas tech

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree that they exist, I just don't buy their arguments. They are special - but I don't think not belonging to a conference is as big a part of it as they seem to.
Just like not playing in bowls was not nearly as big a deal as they fancied.

Which they did last year.
So I say to them you guys did it last year so shut up and pick a conference.
It was reported Notre Dame was big in getting the ACC not to cancel its season so it could stick it to the Big Ten.

Their fanbase accepted being in a conference last year.

Need teams that add value (see revenue and TV eyes) to the conference so your last 3 are misses despite the geographical fit.

Give me Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, and Tennessee (for one that we can compete with). Adds big football money and some for basketball as well. If we can cut BC and add Notre Dame I'd do that as well

This might sound insane, but I think the ACC could improve the value of its product with a better mix between the divisions; one that brings back old traditional rivalries.