Your Ideal ACC expansion | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Your Ideal ACC expansion

UMASS is not going to the B12
I did read that the MAC offered them if they came in, in all sports and they turned them down, which perplexed me because I didn't see any other conference for them, at that time. Yesterday, that is.

Last edited:
If ND were to ever fully join our conference, there is nothing to say for sure that they would have to share the NBC money. The ACC already makes special rules for them already so who is to say they would force them to restructure the NBC deal? Also it could make sense for them as they could get to the CFB playoff more easily as a conference champion. College football is ever changing and even Notre Dame is not immune to change. If the money made sense, I could see them doing it.

This guy is claiming he has an inside source that ND and WV are finally joining the ACC. When pressed about his sources he says reliable, “ACC coaching staff members reliable”. He has a decent following so this is a pretty bold prediction. Just hearsay obviously but interesting.
Boy howdy! This good OL boy has got a genuine scoop. Unfortunately I suspect his “inside source” is Zeke down at the Cracker Barrel.
The reality is WVU joining the ACC is probably more of a deterrent to ND than an incentive.

But hey gotta love a good inside source rumor.

Boy howdy! This good OL boy has got a genuine scoop. Unfortunately I suspect his “inside source” is Zelenograd at the Cracker Barrel.
The reality is WVU joining the ACC is probably more of a deterrent to ND than an incentive.

This clown has been throwing crap against the wall for years. The next thing he assures us is about to go down that actually happens will be the first.

Boy howdy! This good OL boy has got a genuine scoop. Unfortunately I suspect his “inside source” is Zelenograd at the Cracker Barrel.

Don't know if has a good source or not, but there are still things going on in realignment, behind the scenes.

There’s a very good chance he’s reaching because in spite of what he says, I think it’s clear he’s hoping his team joins the ACC. Again normally I wouldn’t even share this, but he’s putting himself out there making such a claim. Just a fun rumor to talk about.

Syracuse will always be in P5 IMO They would need to really trim down the P5 number to be left out. Cuse is obviously the bottom half, maybe even bottom 1/4, but not the last few in. It’s all about $$ and Cuse brings too many eyes to the TV in what is considered a desirable geographic area.
I would agree on this ten years ago. But football program in the past ten years is between 90 and 110 on ranking. It is even near the bottom of G5. And we know football is the milk of conferences. Football earns all 80% of all sports income for most schools. Even SU is lucky to have basketball making money, if our football program cannot go back to top 50, we are always in the danger of dropping out of P5 status.

I would agree on this ten years ago. But football program in the past ten years is between 90 and 110 on ranking. It is even near the bottom of G5. And we know football is the milk of conferences. Football earns all 80% of all sports income for most schools. Even SU is lucky to have basketball making money, if our football program cannot go back to top 50, we are always in the danger of dropping out of P5 status.
I hear what you are saying but a conference doesn’t care how much a school makes for themselves it’s about TV eyes. Here is a list of schools tv pull from 2015-219 when we call all agree except for one great year football was rough on the field. Syracuse needs as still almost top 50 with avg TV viewing. Which is why I think they are always going to be okay, but you maybe correct! .

I guess the WV Assistant Director for Rifle Team Recruiting qualifies as an “ACC coaching staff member".
You laugh, but I used to know somebody with that program. Sadly my best sources in the AD down there dried up when Holgs and staff packed up the carnival tent for Houston.

The right answer is ND and Maryland.
I wish Maryland was still in the ACC and ND would join completely, but I don’t ever see Maryland coming back. I hope I am wrong someday.

I wish Maryland was still in the ACC and ND would join completely, but I don’t ever see Maryland coming back. I hope I am wrong someday.

i agree. I don’t see Maryland coming back. But that’s my ideal expansion.

I could see Notre Dame saying they will join the conference if the HQ is moved to DC. WVU being close to DC makes sense as well.

I have no idea what the likelihood of this would be, and it may get some laugh reacts, but honestly I would like to see the ACC bring in Army and Navy. Just think of all the regional rivalries that would add in both the north and south. Also both teams have a national footprint and are on the east coast.

Also, could absorbing Navy further entice ND possibly? ND’s history for independence and Navy are closely tied together; Navy agreed to play them when other teams wouldn’t and ND has honored that ever since. Seems crazy but there could be earthquakes all over in CFB and you never know.

Last edited:
I still wish we could see 4 x 18 by splitting up the B12.

ACC- ND, WV, Cincy, UCF (giving the ACC a North, Central, and South Florida school)
B1G- ISU, KU, UConn, UB (barfable for FB but good for BBall)
SEC- Okie State, K State (not that attractive)
P12- Houston, Texas Tech, Boise State, UNLV, SD State, New Mexico (barely attractive)

Left out- Baylor, TCU, BYU

It would only work if ND went to the B1G and the ACC filled them with Temple.

With 4x18 you can break way and play 10 conference games (play everyone over a 3 year span). OOC you play 2 games vs other P5 schools. With 3 divisions you have a 4 team conf semi final (1 WC). Then the conf champs are your Final Four.

BBall you play everyone once and your rival 2x. OOC you can have challenges based on last year's standing. For example the 2nd place team from each conference goes to a neutral location in December and plays a game Thursday night, Friday night, and Saturday night. So you play 3 games one each vs the other conference. The conference with the best overall record wins the challenge.

ND is still running through our conference like toilet paper. Thought UNC would play better Sat.

They are going to finish with 1 loss and not get a sniff at the playoffs. I think come December sentiment to join will never be higher especially with Clemson being down.

I want any change that stops the crossover and brings VT and Miami to the dome more than once every 12 years.

Kansas is the team I'd pick to join with ND. 3 pods of 5 would be best but if we need an even number I'd consider them. Basketball would be on another level.

ND is still running through our conference like toilet paper. Thought UNC would play better Sat.

They are going to finish with 1 loss and not get a sniff at the playoffs. I think come December sentiment to join will never be higher especially with Clemson being down.

I want any change that stops the crossover and brings VT and Miami to the dome more than once every 12 years.

Kansas is the team I'd pick to join with ND. 3 pods of 5 would be best but if we need an even number I'd consider them. Basketball would be on another level.
Disagree strongly about Kansas because of geography but agree about ND; if the money could work, now is as better time than ever for them to join.

This guy is claiming he has an inside source that ND and WV are finally joining the ACC. When pressed about his sources he says reliable, “ACC coaching staff members reliable”. He has a decent following so this is a pretty bold prediction. Just hearsay obviously but interesting.
I know that's not The Dude. Is it the other dimbulb MVHer?

This just ain't happenin'.

Please keep in mind, the ND contract with NBC ends in 2025 and their agreement with the ACC runs until 2036.

WVU brings nothing to the ACC except another mouth to feed. UVa and most other ACC fans want no part of their couch-burning, mouth-breathing, battery-throwing fanbase.

We don't need a 16th team, AMOF it's better scheduling-wise not to have one since you could go to a 2-6-6 schedule and play everyone home-and-home every 2 years.

Everyone keeps talking about about this magical 64- or 65-team super league. I don't see it happening because "Pay for Play" is coming and it will kill that concept when the "big boys" (like Bama, LSU, and Ohio State) either form their own P4P league or schools refuse to play P4P teams.

Last edited:
I know that's not The Dude. Is it the other dimbulb MVHer?

This just ain't happenin'.

Please keep in mind, the ND contract with NBC ends in 2025 and their agreement with the ACC runs until 2036.

WVU brings nothing to the ACC except another mouth to feed. UVa and most other ACC fans want no part of their couch-burning, mouth-breathing, battery-throwing fanbase.

We don't need a 16th team, AMOF it's better scheduling-wise not to have one since you could go to a 2-6-6 schedule and play everyone home-and-home every 2 years.

Everyone keeps talking about about this magical 64- or 65-team super league. I don't see it happening because "Pay for Play" is coming and it will kill that concept when the "big boys" (like Bama, LSU, and Ohio State) either form their own P4P league or schools refuse to play P4P teams.
The funny thing about the 65 team thing is that despite all the changes to the college football landscape over decades, the number of "haves" really hasn't changed.

Go back to 1996 when the first major wave of realignment shook out (e.g. Penn State to the B1G, SEC expansion, Big 12 creation/SWC dissolution) and there were 62 major conference teams (ACC, B1G, Big East, Big 12, SEC, Pac-10) + ND.

Today there is 64 + ND.

The funny thing about the 65 team thing is that despite all the changes to the college football landscape over decades, the number of "haves" really hasn't changed.

Go back to 1996 when the first major wave of realignment shook out (e.g. Penn State to the B1G, SEC expansion, Big 12 creation/SWC dissolution) and there were 62 major conference teams (ACC, B1G, Big East, Big 12, SEC, Pac-10) + ND.

Today there is 64 + ND.

I think the Texas/OU shift finally causes the first increase to this number, right?

Assuming the Big 12 stays as a "Power 5", they add BYU, Houston, UCF, Cincy by 2024, maybe sooner if they can work it all out. Which will make it 68 + ND.

(which is 69 for all you sinners scoring at home).

Today there is 64 + ND.

I just wonder if colleges are starting to monitor the attendance at these games and are seeing a reduction in *sses in the seats and this impacting the bottom line. What would improve this? Improved matchups against regional/historical matchups. No idea if this is on anyone's radar but the conf alignments now are television alignments not geographical.

Again, if the ACC could create a division of our old Big East that would be a good thing for Syracuse football.

Some misstatements/misunderstandings in this thread:

--ND makes less TV money with NBC than any other P5 school does with their TV deal. Joining the ACC would mean a TV money increase for ND (but that has been the case since 2012). The NBC deal is coming up for renewal in 2025 and expect ND to get a TV money boost.

ND doesn't need to make the most TV money, it only needs to make "enough" TV money to stay independent. Making less TV money than say, Illinois, is seen by ND as merely the price of doing business as a football independent. They think it benefits the school more to stay indy.

ND also greatly fears that wealthy alumni will make good their repeated threats over the past 20 years that they would withhold donations if ND ever surrenders football independence.

Also, ND is #6 in total revenues even with a low TV deal. ND is not as dependent on TV money as most schools. It relies on other revenue sources (alumni donations among them) more than on TV money.

(When ND joined the ACC in football in 2020 and agreed to share the NBC money with the conference, it actually made more in TV money as an ACC football member that year.)

ND is NOT a football independent because of TV money. It has voluntarily left tens of millions of dollars on the table every year by staying independent.

--Navy did not agree to play ND when others would not. The thing that the U.S. Navy did was place an officers training school at ND in World War 2 (when ND was an all male school and most students had joined the military). That kept ND from closing the school. ND agreed to play Navy every year forever in gratitude until/unless Navy didn't want to anymore.

--The playoffs are going to expand, either to 8 or 12, either now or in 2026. ND is confident in playoff access as an independent without having to join a conference.

In other words, this Dude is smoking opium.

Last edited: