Your Ideal ACC expansion | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Your Ideal ACC expansion

If Notre Dame doesn't join...I think the ACC should sue for peace.

Split the league up between the SEC and B1G.

SU really screwed up by losing their AAU status. Thanks Nancy and your fuzzy science love.

BTW, I was a Geography major and History minor but realize STEM is the driver.

Last edited:
They should 100% go to pods, no matter what happens. It makes sense and the SEC is going to do it anyways.
I favor no divisions, like last year. But in a normal season, each team has a couple or three annual Rivals and then rotates everybody else

One in which Clemson and FSU are no longer members.

The SEC is such an Alpha Snake...Sankey brought up a 12 team playoff to appease UT and OU. Plain and Simple...he was hoping this stayed a secret until after the vote.

ifthe bigten and pac 12 do some type of alliance wonder if it would hurt nd from a scheduling prespective

Would UNC and Duke really consider leaving the ACC where they are king for any conference. In the SEC and B10, they would be 2nd class citizens for decades. All they have to do is a) look how PSU was treated and b) how Pitt, SU and BC has been treated by the ACC. Look how long it took PSU to recover in fb, and Pitt in both fb and bb. The core of the old ACC will stick together because that's where their power is.

I wish the dollars were close enough to make Penn State reconsider its arrangement.

Penn State & Notre Dame is the best possible outcome for us in the ACC.

And if all the money was equal, shouldn't West Virginia and Maryland be in this conference? Maybe you let a couple teams go. It all depends on the final number.

Are people who work at these universities too afraid to say out loud the things that their fans ALWAYS talk about over a few beers?

Go back to North / South Divisions. I mean, are you kidding? People WANT this. The ACC knee caps its own rivalries in the interest of trying to make each Division go up and down the Atlantic seaboard.

Sorry, but too many of these teams are not paired with their historical rivals. Why NOT do that?

16 TEAMS

North:
Penn State, Notre Dame, Miami, Pitt, BC, Syracuse, WVU, Va Tech

South:
Florida State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Virginia, Duke, UNC, NC State

Who's missing? Louisville. If you can't get Maryland back, then you keep the Cardinals.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!!

People would pay the same money to see this league as they would to see the Big 10.

Just think about how many "must see" games you get out of playing your division rivals!

Notre Dame vs. BC, Pitt v. WVU, Miami v. Notre Dame, WVU v. Syracuse, Penn State v. Pitt - you'd get these games EVERY YEAR. I mean, come on!

And in the South - Clemson v. Fla State, Maryland v UVA, NC State v. the Tar Heels, Duke vs. everybody else in basketball, and nobody in football. LOL

SEC and college football down south is a whole 'nuther animal.

But THIS ACC would be a very appealing television product, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I favor no divisions, like last year. But in a normal season, each team has a couple or three annual Rivals and then rotates everybody else
This is the argument for 3-5-5 (which I strongly support), only the current "Special Portion of D-1"'s rules won't allow us to have a championship game if we do that because the B1G and SEC want the ACC to implode. The Big XII got an exemption (because Swofford let that vote be taken first) and then they voted 3-5-5 down. The Blue Bloods of both the SEC and B1g would do better with 3-5-5 than they do under the divisional scheduling system, but they can't let 3-5-5 happen because that would make our implosion a bit less likely.

This is the argument for 3-5-5 (which I strongly support), only the current "Special Portion of D-1"'s rules won't allow us to have a championship game if we do that because the B1G and SEC want the ACC to implode. The Big XII got an exemption (because Swofford let that vote be taken first) and then they voted 3-5-5 down. The Blue Bloods of both the SEC and B1g would do better with 3-5-5 than they do under the divisional scheduling system, but they can't let 3-5-5 happen because that would make our implosion a bit less likely.
I think you are correct. The BT especially opposes it because it would accommodate ND better than division could.

How about the ACC becomes the hunter instead of the hunted? Go after West Virginia and TCU (Dallas market) in the dysfunctional BIG XII! Kidnap two schools with valuable population areas (Houston and Central Florida) from the fledgling American. Grab Maryland by its collar and say, "Welcome back, Terps!" thus leaving a final super conference seat for our independent-minded brethren in South Bend to eventually take...

I think you are correct. The BT especially opposes it because it would accommodate ND better than division could.
If ND came in we wouldn't need a 16th team if we could implement 2-6-6. If you folks chose Duke and us as your permanent 2, the Wuffies would go off their gourds.

How about the ACC becomes the hunter instead of the hunted? Go after West Virginia and TCU (Dallas market) in the dysfunctional BIG XII! Kidnap two schools with valuable population areas (Houston and Central Florida) from the fledgling American. Grab Maryland by its collar and say, "Welcome back, Terps!" thus leaving a final super conference seat for our independent-minded brethren in South Bend to eventually take...

One of the reasons Syracuse has fared better than some like UConn or even Maryland or Rutgers or WVU, all of whom had to play in leagues across the country to survive, television needs BRANDS, not bodies.

Central Flordia, USF, TCU; these teams don't move the needle. Nobody at all who isn't one of their die hards is staying home to watch that game.

It's all about Brand Names. That's what gets the casual fan; the guy who used to play a parlay at work every week, and would pick the teams based on name recognition and history, more than who their current running back or star linebacker was.

You don't pick teams who are not brand names. Period. You trade up in brand, you don't chase markets.

If you chase markets, then you wind up making choices like Rutgers to the Big 10 because they would supposedly deliver the New Jersey television market.

But NJ isn't a college market AT ALL, it's all about pro sports. If you chase markets, you think BC gives you Boston? Nope. They have some residual brand value because of Flutie and their rivalry with Notre Dame. (If ND wants them, then you have to consider it ...)

But you don't chase markets, you don't chase cable households.

You chase brand names that will draw the casual fan, not the hard core.

If ND came in we wouldn't need a 16th team if we could implement 2-6-6. If you folks chose Duke and us as your permanent 2, the Wuffies would go off their gourds.
It should be obvious that if each ACC football team had only 2 annual rivals, that UNC's pair would be UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook (the Victory Bell).

Moo needs a Cow Patty rivalry with VT.

It should be obvious that if each ACC football team had only 2 annual rivals, that UNC's pair would be UVA (The South's Oldest Rivalry) and Dook (the Victory Bell).

Moo needs a Cow Patty rivalry with VT.
When I tried pairing teams up I had them with Clemson (remember "The Textile Bowl"?) and Wake. I had VPI as our second and with Louavul.

Only if Clemson and FSU leave and ND refuses to be a full football member. Even UNC's basketball-onlys (as I berate them) have finally realized that football is much bigger than basketball, and that means UNC must be a truly Major conference for football or else its hoops eventually will suffer.

If ACC football loses its only 2 large attendance programs, ACC football is hurt, badly, irreparably over time. That would be a blow like the SEC taking Arkansas from the SWC. It will kill the league, slowly, at least in terms of Big Time football.
Hoops will suffer if Hubert cannot coach.

Otherwise you can put a powder puff team on the field at Kenan and you'll be fine in the Dean Dome. Gonzaga and Villanova aren't exactly crushing it on the gridiron.

ND ain't coming anytime soon.

If you were to go to 16 now the answer is WV and Cincy. Would the new markets and extra inventory make enough money? If ESPN wants to keep the ACC safe would the addition of new teams allow them to bump the ACC $ closer to their true TV $ instead of being undervalued?

A better expansion question is scheduling and not teams. With a 12 team playoff can't we go to 9 conference games now? That allows us to play the entire conference over 3 years instead of 6 (as long as divisions exist). FSU and Clemson don't need to worry so much now about playing 11 P5 games (9+2) with an expanded playoff. Having 9 ACC + SEC Rival + ND 1/3 years or OOC P5 2/3 years isn't so bad. Although that would mean only 6 home games every other year.

If you were to go to 16 now the answer is WV and Cincy. Would the new markets and extra inventory make enough money? If ESPN wants to keep the ACC safe would the addition of new teams allow them to bump the ACC $ closer to their true TV $ instead of being undervalued?

A better expansion question is scheduling and not teams. With a 12 team playoff can't we go to 9 conference games now? That allows us to play the entire conference over 3 years instead of 6 (as long as divisions exist). FSU and Clemson don't need to worry so much now about playing 11 P5 games (9+2) with an expanded playoff. Having 9 ACC + SEC Rival + ND 1/3 years or OOC P5 2/3 years isn't so bad. Although that would mean only 6 home games every other year.
The ACC doesn’t know what to do with ND.
They can’t issue an ultimatum.
That is what college football needs for the endgame but the ACC won’t do it.

The Big Ten wants it because it would likely push ND there.
The SEC honestly shouldn’t care anymore and just say ND pick a conference we don’t care where you go.

ND isn't going to the Big 10. If they go it will be to the ACC.

If Notre Dame doesn't join...I think the ACC should sue for peace.

Split the league up between the SEC and B1G.

SU really screwed up by losing their AAU status. Thanks Nancy and your fuzzy science love.
i had hopes that ken would greatly improve and expand HARD science research facilities and opportunities ,improve the law school, and just maybe in the future get a partnership with state with the med school.. we all know the state has made a mess of it. ken to me anyway, appears to be just another one keeping the seat warm.
we are destined to remain a mediocre overpriced private school, unwilling to take a chance on becoming much better.

I think it’s the undervalue question that is key here. Then it’s worth adding. I’d think about Houston honestly. Huge market, East side of Texas.

I think ND should join, obviously. It’s the right thing to do, money would be better, their reasons for staying independent are weak. We’d allow scheduling flexibility, BC could be a permanent rival. USC is their “SEC crossover” game like Clemson/South Carolina, FSU/Florida etc.

If we go beyond two (Houston/ND) - I’d want WVU (personally) and Penn St. Kansas is intriguing.

So if the key is making Clempson and FSU happy enough so they don't have reason to move on why don't we either contract 2 teams (WF and BC) or just reduce shares from the other teams and buff Clempsons and FSUs take? If the potential future is the league being cannibalized because the top two football teams are a flight risk and then a ripple effect exodus, then bump their shares if ESPN is not giving us more. For the bump, have them sign an updated GOR.

WTH are "Wuffies"?

(TIA)

So if the key is making Clempson and FSU happy enough so they don't have reason to move on why don't we either contract 2 teams (WF and BC) or just reduce shares from the other teams and buff Clempsons and FSUs take? If the potential future is the league being cannibalized because the top two football teams are a flight risk and then a ripple effect exodus, then bump their shares if ESPN is not giving us more. For the bump, have them sign an updated GOR.

That's what Hale was asking yesterday

Unequal sharing of revenue will break up a league even sooner, if you ask me.

Didn't the Big East do that with Miami?

Would it? Teams #2-#14 aren't all that different. The order each season flips pretty often. So it should relatively even out in the end. FSU is 4-5 seasons away from being good again and that would depend greatly on who they hire as their next HC. By then Dabo might be gone (NFL or Bama) and Clemson will be due to fall back some.

Let's say the FB only TV value is $250M, if you went with the below would it be a big deal?

Division
1st place $26M
2nd $19M
3rd $18M
4th $17M
5th $16M
6th $15M
7th $14M

So the 1st place team gets about $8M more than even distribution and the last place team gets about $3.75M less.