This one's on the staff | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

This one's on the staff

Coaches I would rather have: Archie Miller, John Calipari, Sean Miller, Coach K, Izzo, Pitino, Few, Roy Williams, Tony Bennet, Buzz Williams, Bill Self, Jay Wright, Gregg Marshall, Randy Bennett (Saint Mary's)... Your argument will be but JB has a national championship and 5 final fours! My argument back to that would be A) Most these guys have not been coaching for 40+ years... B)They are in a different situation so its impossible to compare... From a game perspective and an Xs and Os perspective I would take all these guys over JB. Just my opinion
I think Bennett could work on his X's and O's when his teams gets pressed in the elite 8. I'm not going to even get into the whole Archie Miller, Few, Buzz Williams thing. We will just agree to disagree.

Maybe what's so galling about these opinions is that they are wrapped up in College sophomore-like logic such as "Boeheim isn't perfect so it's OK to point out what we think his failings are".
Some of us have something to compare jb to. I was at Syracuse both before he became head coach and after he became head coach. Yeah, he got some breaks, The Big East, The Carrier Dome, but right away he came in and we went down to Louisville and won. We beat Tenn with Bernie and Ernie. There was a buzz. We had the final four two years earlier but if you were at Syracuse at the time ( I was) you knew where we were in the college basketball world. that changed when jb became coach.

??? That is what I was doing.

Right. You weren't arguing the point at hand, you were defending JB.

Every commentary of JB's performance in a game becomes a referendum on JB's career which in turn becomes an attack on one's fandom because people are more concerned with defending JB then just commenting on the posts in the thread.

The OP:
"JB was out-coached and made no noticeable 2nd half adjustments. Thankful Battle saw some time in the 2nd."

was somehow turned into

"JB is a terrible coach and we should fire him"

UVA has been literally dead for 20 years. Bennett got there and they have been the best team in the ACC the past 3 years. ACC has been the best league every year. That is REMARKABLE success. JB has established his program for 35+ years. Even Boeheim said Bennett may be one of the best coaches he's ever seen at any level... It would be quite dumb to not think Bennett will have amazing success if he is at UVA for 30+ years

Townie wouldn't crack my top 20.

Dang I didn't know we were having a contest. I better up my game.

On that note. I'm going into lurker status for awhile and take a little break from the board. Work sucks for me right now and I come here to take my mind off things and to have fun and because I love talking Syracuse basketball. And it's not fun discussing how poorly we are playing the past two games over and over. I still think we're going to have a really good year, but I can't even totally convince myself of that right now. But I'll still be watching every game cheering like heck.

Right. You weren't arguing the point at hand, you were defending JB.

Every commentary of JB's performance in a game becomes a referendum on JB's career which in turn becomes an attack on one's fandom because people are more concerned with defending JB then just commenting on the posts in the thread.

The OP:
"JB was out-coached and made no noticeable 2nd half adjustments. Thankful Battle saw some time in the 2nd."

was somehow turned into

"JB is a terrible coach and we should fire him"
" I don't know anyone that likes his coaching," Where exactly did that fit in? Or did you miss that? Because I wouldn't have responded to the no noticeable adjustments in the second half. My opinion is that jb wanted the players to work on areas that they will use over the rest of the season. Not just trying to get back in a game we weren't going to win in Nov. But to each his own. You ignore what the poster said that caused the objection. Why?

We beat Wisky in a one possession game to get to the f8. Doesn't mean a thing but it was one of my favorite games of all time. Mostly because of the woman I took to the game with me.

I bet. That was a good one! Boston? I personally don't care about head to head matchups between JB and coaching candidates. So many variables. Time of the season, roster construction, going up against our gimmick zone in some preseason tourney or NCAA Tourney without much prep, etc. I just want a future coach who gets the most out of his players generally, teaches fundamentals, good offense/defense, a dog on the recruiting trail, and one who will insist on spicing up the Dome atmosphere.

I bet. That was a good one! Boston? I personally don't care about head to head matchups between JB and coaching candidates. So many variables. Time of the season, roster construction, going up against our gimmick zone in some preseason tourney or NCAA Tourney without much prep, etc. I just want a future coach who gets the most out of his players generally, teaches fundamentals, good offense/defense, a dog on the recruiting trail, and one who will insist on spicing up the Dome atmosphere.
You mentioned everything but winning.

You repeated half the guys i mentioned above and go on to mention 2 guys JB beat in the tournament last year because their teams folded against our press. Bennett and Few have proven so far that they can't even get to the final four. We have been to the 9th most final fours EVER. Yes it's only 5, but outside of Duke and UK who's getting to them routinely?

All I get from your posts is SU basketball isn't aesthetically pleasing enough for you. Which is fine, maybe you would rather lose pretty than win ugly?

Wright hasn't been around for 40 years and yes he has a title(last year), but he has not been as consistent as JB. He's won a significantly lower percentage of his games.

I'm not really sure what the Millers have proved yet. Sean has had his share of early flameouts and I don't think Arizona basketball is as pleasing to the eye as it was under Lute Olson.
All those guys win. Give me one on that list that does not win.

Some of us have something to compare jb to. I was at Syracuse both before he became head coach and after he became head coach. Yeah, he got some breaks, The Big East, The Carrier Dome, but right away he came in and we went down to Louisville and won. We beat Tenn with Bernie and Ernie. There was a buzz. We had the final four two years earlier but if you were at Syracuse at the time ( I was) you knew where we were in the college basketball world. that changed when jb became coach.

Of course. In 1972 we were lucky to get on the Saturday afternoon ECAC game of the week vs. Penn State. In the late 70's I got off a plane at LAX and saw California kids wearing SU shirts.

But the real measure of JB is the length of time and the relative consistency.

UVA has been literally dead for 20 years. Bennett got there and they have been the best team in the ACC the past 3 years. ACC has been the best league every year. That is REMARKABLE success. JB has established his program for 35+ years. Even Boeheim said Bennett may be one of the best coaches he's ever seen at any level... It would be quite dumb to not think Bennett will have amazing success if he is at UVA for 30+ years

You do realize Bennett is almost 50 right?

That's fine about Few. People want to give him the benefit of doubt because he's at Gonzaga. He had lottery pick and 5 star transfer as his best players last year. If you want to give Gonzaga the benefit of doubt, maybe the committee should stop handing him protected seeds.

Dang I didn't know we were having a contest. I better up my game.

On that note. I'm going into lurker status for awhile and take a little break from the board. Work sucks for me right now and I come here to take my mind off things and to have fun and because I love talking Syracuse basketball. And it's not fun discussing how poorly we are playing the past two games over and over. I still think we're going to have a really good year, but I can't even totally convince myself of that right now. But I'll still be watching every game cheering like heck.

Well, good luck with that.

Right now this is not a very good team. As JB said prior to the game, "Its a Work in Process".

Hopefully we won't run out of season prior to the team starting to jell offensively.

Sean Miller has almost been to the final 4 twice so he is better than Boeheim? The first 3 people I'm with you there is an argument to be made. I would rather the coach of my team to give back to the community than have s e x with women in the bathroom at restaurants and allow strippers to sleep with recruits back that is just me. The idea of putting Wright, Smart and Miller above Boeheim is rediculious to me unless you are doing a future thing based on Boeheims age.

I think Wright and Miller are right now, yes. Longevity-wise we don't know yet. Many of my candidates we don't know yet. I also don't think a F4 ultimately determines the merit of a coach. To media, fans, and people who track those things/statisticians it does. Some people in basketball circles I bet think that Larranaga (he does have 1 with George Mason) or Bob McKillop, or Gregg Marshall (1 with WSU) are better coaches. It's just my opinion. Nobody is right or wrong.

Last edited:
Pull up the winning percentages and let's compare. You want to say all those guy's are better? That's fine.

If JB doesn't take the Syracuse job in 1976, maybe we are in the Atlantic 10 right now instead of the ACC.

Great point!

That's a very strong possibility. Or we could be in a league with our traditional rivals, St Bonaventure and Niagara.

Pull up the winning percentages and let's compare. You want to say all those guy's are better? That's fine.

If JB doesn't take the Syracuse job in 1976, maybe we are in the Atlantic 10 right now instead of the ACC.
If we are going to sit here and nitpick a variable that has so many different weighted factors to it, then pass. All I know is that those coaches flat out win. And don't think Syracuse was headed to the A10 after coming off a Final Four prior to the year JB got the job at Syracuse.

If we are going to sit here and nitpick a variable that has so many different weighted factors to it, then pass. All I know is that those coaches flat out win. And don't think Syracuse was headed to the A10 after coming off a Final Four prior to the year JB got the job at Syracuse.

We don't win? Who's winning more games consistently than Duke, Uk, Kansas, and Carolina?

lol Well, we have one of the coaches that flat out wins more than almost everyone. His winning % is kinda high

Think again.

Let me suggest that if you weren't there --- like Dasher and I --- you don't have a clue what it was like. That Final Four was considered then a fluke. SU was a small-time program, even after. And the Ragin Cajuns going on probation had a lot to do with the FF.

Think again.

Let me suggest that if you weren't there --- like Dasher and I --- you don't have a clue what it was like. That Final Four was considered then a fluke. SU was a small-time program, even after. And the Ragin Cajuns going on probation had a lot to do with the FF.
That and a team that shot out of it's butt against North Carolina. When we were working out at the final four, Kentucky players were openly laughing at us. No kidding. We were not on the college basketball map.

I'm not. You have 15000 posts. It's hard to avoid when you are in every other thread, but I'll do my best.

hey! HEY! HEY! Ix-nay on that kind of talk!

:D

You do realize Bennett is almost 50 right?

That's fine about Few. People want to give him the benefit of doubt because he's at Gonzaga. He had lottery pick and 5 star transfer as his best players last year. If you want to give Gonzaga the benefit of doubt, maybe the committee should stop handing him protected seeds.

And now we're dumping on my no.2 guys!? Jeebus! The place goes all to hell when I'm not around! :mad:

:p

That and a team that shot out of it's butt against North Carolina. When we were working out at the final four, Kentucky players were openly laughing at us. No kidding. We were not on the college basketball map.

I believe that's my boy, Jimmy Lee! :D

In the discussion for biggest shot in Syracuse hoop history.

Jimmy did all his great work before the three point line came in. Just imagine ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom