“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

“I don’t care about the record…” - Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
A number of the responses just sum up the same whiny arguments that've been there all season.

My Syracuse isn’t winning. It’s because of the way they’re coached. The coach’s sons. No man to man. JFC, how much worse is your life because we had the first losing season in 50 years?

The guy who literally designed, built and managed those 50 years enjoyed coaching his sons, get the pitchforks! I’m happy JB got that, I’m happy his sons got that. He deserves it, especially at this point in his career.

I cheered when I was there. I cheered when I watched. I’ll cheer again next year and the year after that.

I agree.
I can call him out for numerous things like strategy, game management, roster construction, tactics, etc. That would all be fair game. But I can never doubt the man’s will to win…every game.
I think he misspoke here and perhaps it interprets differently in print.
Boeheim “wants” to win. This year he just sucked at it.

IT CAN'T BE BOTH

It is because of the things you listed only two outcomes are possible:

1- This year was completely different and he didn't care about winning only coaching his kids and them both having a large role in this year's team
or
2- JB has no clue what it takes to win in today's landscape of college basketball.

TAKE YOUR PICK!!! I am so tired of people defending him no matter what.

YOU DONT THINK HE WANTS TO WIN??? Look at the roster and tell me he was trying to win this year with a straight face.

I agree.
I can call him out for numerous things like strategy, game management, roster construction, tactics, etc. That would all be fair game. But I can never doubt the man’s will to win…every game.
I think he misspoke here and perhaps it interprets differently in print.
Boeheim “wants” to win. This year he just sucked at it.

What is will to win? If ‘will’ is defined as desire; or to wish, is having the ‘will’ sufficient? If one wishes to be a millionaire, does that happen simply by desiring or wishing?

One could make the argument that based upon this particular roster that JB assembled, one in which he was completely culpable for, those other interests took precedent over his alleged ‘will’ to win, at least at this level.

What is will to win? If ‘will’ is defined as desire; or wish, is having the ‘will’ sufficient? If one wishes to be a millionaire, does that happen simply by desiring or wishing?

One could make the argument that based upon this particular roster that JB assembled, one in which he was completely culpable for, those interests took precedent over his alleged ‘will’ to win, at least at this level.
well he's a millionaireXmany and apparently has no fear of being fired any time soon. he'll leave when he's ready.

Andy Katz had us preseason 18

Whatever the CBB review is had us at 24

ACC Coaches had us at 7 (Wake at 13, Miami at 12)

Others are similar.

Basically they expected us to close out 5 or so games we didn't close out.

A number of the responses just sum up the same whiny arguments that've been there all season.

My Syracuse isn’t winning. It’s because of the way they’re coached. The coach’s sons. No man to man. JFC, how much worse is your life because we had the first losing season in 50 years?

The guy who literally designed, built and managed those 50 years enjoyed coaching his sons, get the pitchforks! I’m happy JB got that, I’m happy his sons got that. He deserves it, especially at this point in his career.

I cheered when I was there. I cheered when I watched. I’ll cheer again next year and the year after that.
I don't understand your thoughts. You are happy. That's great. But you are whining about what the rest of us are saying while complaining that we are whining??? Feel anyway you want. But we are entitled to feel the way we do. We haven't been ranked in the regular league season since 2014. That is 8 years ago. This isn't a one year thing. The program that reps the University that I graduated from, is a disappointment. On a lot of levels. It's not unreasonable to lay that blame on the coaches doorstep. We are all thankful (except maybe tbonezone) for what JB has done for the basketball program. But it isn't a lifetime appointment. The guy is 77. It's time for a change. and change will come soon. whether anyone, including jb can do about it.

It is because of the things you listed only two outcomes are possible:

1- This year was completely different and he didn't care about winning only coaching his kids and them both having a large role in this year's team
or
2- JB has no clue what it takes to win in today's landscape of college basketball.

TAKE YOUR PICK!!! I am so tired of people defending him no matter what.

YOU DONT THINK HE WANTS TO WIN??? Look at the roster and tell me he was trying to win this year with a straight face.
i believe he was trying to win this year and wanted to stick it up the critics butt by playing Joe and Buddy 38 a game and his son whatever a game. He was just hideously wrong.

Others are similar.

If I had the energy or desire, I would go back and review how many games we just let slip away. It has to be a large number.

You’re entitled to that opinion as a fan. How I read that is you’re OK with the erosion of the program. There are many who are not. And have seen it coming. This is merely a culmination - and the HC readily admitting he doesn’t care about the record is icing on the cake.

He could have constructed this roster differently. He chose not to. Because he was too worried about having a great year with his sons. The path of least resistance. I’m not OK with that.

If I had the energy or desire, I would go back and review how many games we just let slip away. It has to be a large number.
Miami
Miami
Georgetown
Virginia
Wake
UNC
Florida State

Then we had the Colgate and Pitt debacles. That was the season.

Virginia Tech and Notre Dame were winnable games had we had Edwards as well.

I don't have a problem with those remarks.

Proud dad.

We can dissect it down the road, but on a day like this -- senior day -- with both of his sons, he's entitled to speak his mind and feel proud, even though the year didn't unfold the way the fan's would have liked.

Either do I. He is entitled to feel this was a special season because he got to coach his sons. Who could argue with that, especially if he left it at that? I am sure having the first losing season of his career, with his kids playing 75+ minutes a game no less, is eating away at him. Nobody wants to win more than JB. Statements like this are about deflecting.
110 minutes dont forget Joey

god forbid he ever recruits a 6'6" two guard who shoots better than 33% deep and can play defense.
that might mean someone near and dear sits. and instead of say a manek or kessler at forward we get jr.
not exactly what i call pounding the portal. more like hollering upstairs .

Last edited:

Didn't need to be a losing season

Coach ensured it was with his selfishness

I care about the record. Even though we struggled all year, this loss hurts. Hurts bad. Can’t get it outta my head. Just like the blown Clemson football game a few years back…
Losing seasons are necessary in our current situation, otherwise real changes won’t be made.

Next year won’t be much better. Possibly even worse.

His kids were very good for us this season. This isn't on them its more on the coach and us having noone behind them.

Just make a change this team honestly wasn't that bad most of our losses could have been wins this wasn't a bad team. Its going to be ugly if we don't hire a new coach that has no ties to the program. The ACC is horrible too its the right time.

Losing seasons are necessary in our current situation, otherwise real changes won’t be made.

Next year won’t be much better. Possibly even worse.
We can’t recruit players still? That’s news to me.

We can’t recruit players still? That’s news to me.
It’s unlikely that the kids coming in next year will be difference makers and be able to produce a winning season. It will take them time to develop. Quality players and some developmental players, but no difference makers as freshmen.

It’s unlikely that the kids coming in next year will be difference makers and be able to produce a winning season. It will take them time to develop. Quality players and some developmental players, but no difference makers as freshmen.
PORTAL. Like all these other schools do. We could learn something.

Others are similar.

Seemed like the general consensus pre-season, by the media and our own staff, is that we’d be pretty good. Not a title contender, but a solid tournament team.

Basically, it was a big miss by everyone. Our returning guys didn’t make a leap, aside from Jesse. Our new guys generally disappointed relative to expectations. We had guys with deficiencies playing too many minutes that exposed them.

We need a major infusion of talent. Not sure we’re getting it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom