2025 Transfer Thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2025 Transfer Thread

All alleged like you say, but sounds more like something the dad wanted than Joey if that is really what started it all. Makes some sense as Joey never showed any real signs of being unhappy. Papa spallina however is a known hothead. From the beginning there were concerns with his level of involvement in his kids decisions. Would not be surprised if he was the guy we had to talk off the ledge rather than Joey.
Yes, allegedly this is was the case...I heard this from several people as well.

That would seem to jive with Jordi’s tweet about it being an “administrative” issue that was causing the “devastating” news. Very strange reason to lose a player over! Not trying to be dismissive of a very real issue, just would not have it on my bingo card as something that would cause a player to leave. Just glad it got resolved.

The right thing for Mr Barstool to do would be to put an end to any speculation, but of course we don’t live in a world where people like that can be responsible. Would rather just collect clicks.
Jordi doesn't know jack and never will. Just another dbag idiot looking for attention.

This I can tell you had nothing to do with stony brook Wlax or NIL it was lacrosse based and was not ever close. was more media fodder from a cancelled exit meeting This is a fact Carry on
Glad to hear!

Allegedly, may have had something to do with the locker room incident/situation that took place with the Stony Brook Woman's lax team...I heard some rumors trickle down from a few separate people in the know or close to the program and all had similar stories as to what was going on...Allegedly, Maryland and Michigan were the destinations if somethings didn't get addressed. Allegedly, everything was corrected.

Form what I know the issues that popped up had nothing to do with the locker room incident for the women's tourney game. I know there was some issues/concerns on Joey's end but I don't believe it had anything remotely to do with his father or that incident.

This I can tell you had nothing to do with stony brook Wlax or NIL it was lacrosse based and was not ever close. was more media fodder from a cancelled exit meeting This is a fact Carry on
i heard something similar regarding a botched exit meeting

I’d like to discuss Koleton Marquis. I know his lack of PT at Hop has been talked about, as he played in only 4 games as a freshman & didn’t see a minute this year. I’d have to think that this year was a mutual decision between him & the staff to redshirt. He has 3 years of eligibility remaining. While I agree with others that there isn’t a really a path to playing time this year barring unforeseen departures/injuries, I believe that, after a year in the program, he has the skillset to potentially step into a 2nd line middie role as a RS Jr. in ‘26.

Factor in The Promise Scholarship, his friendship with Deere, & familiarity with the rest of the ‘Cuse Orangeville contingent (plus playing with Hiltz in the MSL this summer), & it makes a ton of sense to add him if he’s up for waiting another year to crack the “Top 9”. Though Birtwistle has obviously shown/produced much, much more in college, I’ve always seen Marquis as someone who could develop into that type of role as at least a 2nd line mid in our system. Creative righty shooter with multiple release points who can catch/finish in traffic while understanding pick play & the two-man game. Like Birt, he’s a natural attackman who isn’t going to break ankles but is athletic enough to get to his spots. I’ve often joked that Birt is the most “Canadian” non-Canadian in D1 Lax lol.

If nothing else, I figured I’d break up this Spallina/Barstool Jordie talk lol.

Last edited:
I’d like to discuss Koleton Marquis. I know his lack of PT at Hop has been talked about, as he played in only 4 games as a freshman & didn’t see a minute this year. I’d have to think that this year was a mutual decision between him & the staff to redshirt. He has 3 years of eligibility remaining. While I agree with others that there isn’t a really a path to playing time this year barring unforeseen departures/injuries, I believe that, after a year in the program, he has the skillset to potentially step into a 2nd line middie role as a RS Jr. in ‘26.

Factor in The Promise Scholarship, his friendship with Deere, & familiarity with the rest of the ‘Cuse Orangeville contingent (plus playing with Hiltz in the MSL this summer), & it makes a ton of sense to add him if he’s up for waiting another year to crack the “Top 9”. Though Birtwistle has obviously shown/produced much, much more in college, I’ve always seen Marquis as someone who could develop into that type of role as at least a 2nd line mid in our system. Creative righty shooter with multiple release points who can catch/finish in traffic while understanding pick play & the two-man game. Like Birt, he’s a natural attackman who isn’t going to break ankles but is athletic enough to get to his spots.

Any word on if they are pursuing Koleton? I could see him ending up at Michigan or Albany. Another great player to add but hard to fit the pieces...Wonder if Elijah-Brown cracks the line up next year...

Any word on if they are pursuing Koleton? I could see him ending up at Michigan or Albany. Another great player to add but hard to fit the pieces...Wonder if Elijah-Brown cracks the line up next year...

I don't believe SU is pursuing him at least they weren't initially.

Factor in The Promise Scholarship, his friendship with Deere, & familiarity with the rest of the ‘Cuse Orangeville contingent (plus playing with Hiltz in the MSL this summer), & it makes a ton of sense to add him if he’s up for waiting another year to crack the “Top 9”. Though Birtwistle has obviously shown/produced much, much more in college, I’ve always seen Marquis as someone who could develop into that type of role as at least a 2nd line mid in our system. Creative righty shooter with multiple release points who can catch/finish in traffic while understanding pick play & the two-man game. Like Birt, he’s a natural attackman who isn’t going to break ankles but is athletic enough to get to his spots. I’ve often joked that Birt is the most “Canadian” non-Canadian in D1 Lax lol.

I would be in full favor of Marquis coming to Syracuse. Seems like he would fit in with the team pretty seamlessly given the connection you’ve laid out. Also like I said before he looks like a player who wouldn’t be pigeonholed to just a finisher. I think they could find a place for him.

There have been players who didn’t work out at one school blossom at another. Not saying this will happen in this case, but I don’t think it’s totally fair to write him off cause things didn’t work out at Hopkins.

That said, does he want to come to another school where he has to fight for playing time? There are a bunch of other schools that he would find playing time not as hard to come by at.

Murphy has struggled the lst few season after a big 2022 but he's the kind of player who I think would thrive in SU's offense being a 4th 5th option etc. I could see SU being involved here.

Went from 39 points to 29 to 17 this past year. Shooting % went from 40% to 29% to 17%. So the trend isn’t great, but again a player like Malver who has shown the ability. Probably one of those players who plays better if the talent surrounding them is above average. So I agree I think he would fit in with this Syracuse team if he’s not asked to carry a huge load.

No “sure things” seem to be left in the portal at this point, but a few players like the Salisbury middies, Marquis and Murphy who I think could make a difference at SU. Interesting to see if the coaches feel the same.

I still don’t think cuse needs much of anyone for offense. Honestly not even a straight speed dodger don’t think they absolutely need either. I truely think what was missing for them is a stretch shooter. The way our offense works or plays someone dodging even with loads speed isn’t really what we have done since gait. We still get slides n great looks. I think more would open up if had someone who can just catch n rip it. Forces the d to press out n opens up middle which we would then feast. But we didn’t have anyone who had great range. Or least didn’t see much chances of it. Someone just all needs is little of space to crank it think all we are missing.

Think that is what man up lacked also. Everyone would just bunker down the middle giving us the mid range to outside range shots all year. The denver game they made it obvious that’s what they wanted us to do. More then few times man up or not as pass went to win or even top had chance to crow hop n rip it. But either guys don’t trust their outside shot or don’t have it not sure. Someone like a matt lane who was on man up n wasn’t the greatest stick skills but he could crank it n didn’t need loads of space or time. Why really wish they gave kellogg some more chances. Also think need to work on guys being able to shoot on run with guy on ya. Don’t need to have multiple steps on ur defender to score. Just 1 need be able to shoot n 2 lil bounce off or step back or anything. Example nick mariano as he wasn’t fast but dude could get shots off with guys draped over him also he had cannon.

I went back watched alot of games don’t see any certain plays for certain guys either. Meaning are we trying to step up plays for guys that goes to their strengths whatever they are. Diff for each guy of course. But are we doing that? Clearly we have the talent and hope coaches are putting the guys where they would excel strongly.

If the ACC thing is true, would think SU or Duke? UVa has their starter coming back, UNC has Wambach. Duke is trying to replace Naso, but has the top recruit in McCarthy coming in. I thought Greenspan had been linked to SU at one point but that may have been a mistake.

If the ACC thing is true, would think SU or Duke? UVa has their starter coming back, UNC has Wambach. Duke is trying to replace Naso, but has the top recruit in McCarthy coming in. I thought Greenspan had been linked to SU at one point but that may have been a mistake.

If I had to guess I would say Duke, definite opening there. That said assuming Kohn does not come back ( I still believe that to be the case) SU really could use another FOGO from the portal.

i would not write off uva. ghobriel has one more year but after that it's wide open and the other guys on the roster aren't very good

i would not write off uva. ghobriel has one more year but after that it's wide open and the other guys on the roster aren't very good

Yeah that’s true. Plus they have two Brunswick kids coming in this year. The fogo freshman they have coming in this year is only a three star. The following year their guy is the #31 ranked player. Plus they have shown they can rotate guys which opens up a pathway to playing time. That’s why I thought Syracuse could be involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom