Army Game Thread... | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game Thread...

If the ACC Network is going to use students for PBP and studio for non-revenue sports, having the best Communications school in the country is a nice advantage. Eagle and Carter are both really smooth, and the women’s basketball player (first name Isis, drawing a blank on her last name) was good as a studio color commentator.

Last edited:
If the ACC Network is going to use students for PBP and studio for non-revenue sports, having the best Communistions schooling’s the country is a nice advantage. Eagle and Carter are both really smooth, and the women’s basketball player (first name Isis, drawing a blank on her last name) was good as a studio color commentator.

Agreed. I watched streams of the Albany-Drexel and Duke-Penn games from this weekend, and thought the announcers and production quality of the Syracuse-Army stream were way better.

Defense played tremendous IMO. Still sliding early on times when guys aren't beat, but for the most part very good.
On offense, Rehfuss has to get going plain and simple. Teams are going to key in on Voight and they know what kind of a prolific shooter he is now. 3 goals out of the attack just isn't going to cut it in most games. EDIT: I think Buttermore is a really nice player. Athletic, and nice dodger with a hard shot. Might benefit if he gets some run with the 1st-line mid. Almost rotate he and Lipka.

That being said good win, great game out of Phaup. Good to see Cook get on the scores sheet. I think he needs the ball in his cross more. Like Magnan too. He will find his opportunities. Onto UVA!

Good win, nearly blew it late with turnovers and sloppy play but did a nice job finishing strong. D and Phaup were excellent, a few d breakdowns in the 4th but that's going to happen. Really important win when u look at the upcoming ludicrous schedule. Wish we had a breather next week but it's right back into the fire
First time in a long time SU has dominated the center of the field i.e.. FO and goalie and pretty fair attack. I suspect that HHH is back. Cook is moving too fast for his feet, but he's a player. Buttermore surprised me. Hats off to Murphy, hell, the whole d and especially the ssdms. Helmer and Dearth look like a tough combination. I can't help myself. Dearth reminds me of Matt Abbott more every game.

Watched UVA - Princeton. The Hoos have not solved their defensive problems, but they are a load offensively.

Defense played tremendous IMO. Still sliding early on times when guys aren't beat, but for the most part very good.
On offense, Rehfuss has to get going plain and simple. Teams are going to key in on Voight and they know what kind of a prolific shooter he is now. 3 goals out of the attack just isn't going to cut it in most games. EDIT: I think Buttermore is a really nice player. Athletic, and nice dodger with a hard shot. Might benefit if he gets some run with the 1st-line mid. Almost rotate he and Lipka.

That being said good win, great game out of Phaup. Good to see Cook get on the scores sheet. I think he needs the ball in his cross more. Like Magnan too. He will find his opportunities. Onto UVA!

Yeah I counted a couple of goals given up simply due to unnecessary slides. But hey all in all really solid performance being down 1 starter. I also think overall the SSDM position has been better than I expected.

Buttermore looked good, don't know what happened after his 2nd goal I thought he could get called for unsportsmanlike conduct for saying something to the Army GK.

Looks like they may have something special in Phaup, but man his wings need to help him better and I hope Desko doesn't wear him out.

I liked Madonna last season but so far Porter seems like an upgrade.

Just watched the game on replay. Was a little nervous when I saw the ESPN broadcast was 2:12. Thought there might have been OT.

Just some quick observations, made without reviewing any of the previous 300+ posts:

Give Grant Murphy a long pole every week

Nick Mellen was ... meh. Did an awesome job keeping Nichturn in check, but did get his ankles broken once. Also had a couple of horrendous slides (either slid when not necessary or was too slow on a second slide) that led directly to at least two Army goals.

Marcus Cunningham was solid again. You almost never hear the announcers say his name, which is often a good thing for a defenseman

Kennedy, Fusco and Murphy were like ninjas with some of those back checks

Jamie. Buddy. Thanks for listening. Maybe have a chat with Dearth.

Other than the bad shot, thought Dearth had a great game, especially on the punt return. Could have been a little more physical bumping dodgers off their lines, but he was heavily involved in the clear, and I think he only truly got beat once on a move to the inside. I’ve really liked how he’s been playing overall this year

Offensively, too much of the one guy goes 1v1 and the other five guys stand around watching. When there is off-ball movement and quick passing, the offense is electric.

Cook’s rollback is awesome ... yet predictable already. Army long poles were waiting for it, especially after the dive goal

Phaup was awesome on the clamp, but his exit control needs work. Which probably means his wings need to talk to him more, tell him what’s open and where to go.

Rehfuss. You poor bastard. Keep shooting

Anyone else see the Kim brothers and Pete Fiorini get a run? It lasted about 15 seconds before the attack turned it over (I think Rehfuss allegedly stepped in the crease)

Drake Porter has a chance to be special

That is a bold statement.

But I hope you turn out to be right.
Too bold! I don’t know that college lacrosse will ever see a two way player like Abbott elite SSDM and a very good offensive middy, dearth is neither of those at this time.

Murphy #90 played great it was weird how he traded in the pole for a shorty on man down and Helmer played pole and had been playing SSDM the whole game!

Was I the only one who noticed Dami dressed on the sidelines? I thought he was out this year.

Was I the only one who noticed Dami dressed on the sidelines? I thought he was out this year.

I noticed that as well and meant to comment on it. He was at the end of the bench but fully dressed.

The best thing about this game was that maybe, just maybe, Desko realizes that Butttermore is a scoring machine and gave him more runs. That's all he does...score goals.
In the presser, Desko did say that Buttermore was productive in games and practice and would see more playing time as long as he is productive. I like Buttermore a lot, he's got some shake and a great shot. The thing with Desko is that players have got to learn the offense in order to see the field.

The best thing about this game was that maybe, just maybe, Desko realizes that Butttermore is a scoring machine and gave him more runs. That's all he does...score goals.
He certainly has the knack and letting play come to him.. That pass to Voigt for goal after drawing slide on alley probe was good lax.
Guile more than speed , that hesitation, rollback and rip reminded me somewhat of Dordevic.

In the presser, Desko did say that Buttermore was productive in games and practice and would see more playing time as long as he is productive. I like Buttermore a lot, he's got some shake and a great shot. The thing with Desko is that players have got to learn the offense in order to see the field.

If that’s the case, then no one should have been playing in the second half. I’ve seen youth teams with more organized offense. The spacing was terrible. Five guys squished into a 15x15 box at times

He was dressed last week.
My undertstading is that he is ineligible for entire season but he can practice with team so fully involved outside games. Dressing surprises but guess within rules. He was improving so loss but Dearth and Hel;mer are doing a great job and Barlow and Small have provided good depth

He gets on the field, scores goals, makes great passes. What exactly does he have to learn? This is another "well, I just don't know..." Desko moment leading to transfers to Maryland, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom