Army Game... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Army Game...

If there are issues then it’s a good thing they were exposed now. If it is effort, attitude, gonna get mineism, that should be done

Army was more physical, Porter not good, attack not good, face offs not dominate, defense lost

If this is the level of play that they are capable of, then yep the season is going to be rough, if this opening game flop, then move on and beat uva

Do you really want to compare Dukes track record to ours regarding slow starts and elite finishes. We havent gotten to the final four since 2013 and are sitting on back to back first round losses.

You’re right. All hope is lost. Fire the coaches. Expel the players. Burn Otto in effigy.

Jesus Christ. Calm the F down all of you.

You’re right. All hope is lost. Fire the coaches. Expel the players. Burn Otto in effigy.

It’s not over by any means, but I’m willing to bet this team doesn’t come close to sniffing the Final 4. Sure, it’s only the first game, but sometimes you can tell.

Again this isn't losing a hard fought game next week to UVA 15-14, this is a mostly jr and sr SU team with months of hype about a return to champ weekend getting obliterated by a decent Army team. This isn't a normal year where SU has months to right the ship the ACC is stacked especially with elite offenses and were a hot mess

Really don't know why Desko ever ever ever in his life thought scheduling Army as our first game was a good idea. Pitiful performance in just about every facet of this game.

Had to shut the game off in the middle of the 3rd quarter because I figured I would spare my neighbours ears from yelling at my the top of my lungs every time they turned the ball over on the offensive side or completely broke down on the defensive end.

All of that hype going into this season-- and for what? This is bringing back major flashbacks of the 2019 football season
Unknown.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 2.41.14 PM.png

Really don't know why Desko ever ever ever in his life thought scheduling Army as our first game was a good idea. Pitiful performance in just about every facet of this game.

Had to shut the game off in the middle of the 3rd quarter because I figured I would spare my neighbours ears from yelling at my the top of my lungs every time they turned the ball over on the offensive side or completely broke down on the defensive end.

All of that hype going into this season-- and for what? This is bringing back major flashbacks of the 2019 football season View attachment 196855View attachment 196856

We played Army the same week we always played them.

Feb 23, 2020
Feb 24, 2019
Feb 24, 2018...

Sucks that the start of the semester (and the start of practice) was delayed this year.

One can have an opinion without being told to calm the F down.

sure it is one loss a surprise given our expectations and to pick it apart seems to be one of the advantages to having a forum.

Again this isn't losing a hard fought game next week to UVA 15-14, this is a mostly jr and sr SU team with months of hype about a return to champ weekend getting obliterated by a decent Army team. This isn't a normal year where SU has months to right the ship the ACC is stacked especially with elite offenses and were a hot mess

They had 2 1/2 weeks of practice with no scrimmages or pushover games before today. Nothing to really get them ready. The first quarter wasn’t an illusion. What they failed to do was adjust to Army’s adjustments. Then it snowballed. Sometimes getting kicked in the teeth is a good thing.

We played Army the same week we always played them.

Feb 23, 2020
Feb 24, 2019
Feb 24, 2018...

Sucks that the start of the semester (and the start of practice) was delayed this year.

I didn't think it would play this big a roll missing the preseason scrimmages and an initial game but apparently it did. We needed to either start sooner or tell Army thanks bit no thanks for our 1st game. That was abysmal

One can have an opinion without being told to calm the F down.

sure it is one loss a surprise given our expectations and to pick it apart seems to be one of the advantages to having a forum.

Things don’t get picked apart around here. They get thrown in the dumpster and set ablaze when the shine wears off. This forum lacks any sense of composure. If Cuse gets housed by Utah in Week 12 or whatever it is, then, sure, I’m with you. But give them a minute.

I didn't think it would play this big a roll missing the preseason scrimmages and an initial game but apparently it did. We needed to either start sooner or tell Army thanks bit no thanks for our 1st game. That was abysmal

For a little while there, we weren't going to even start at all.

At least not all the players. :rolleyes:

18 goals to this army team and the attack unit being completely shut down again, were in MAJOR trouble. If you can't slow down or stop army on offense what the hell are we gonna do against UNC UVA Duke or even ND. This is a disaster
We beat this same team with more offensive weapons last year and held them to 7 goals with the exact same guys we trotted out today, besides new lsms. This is not the D playing to its full potential. It’s one game and we saw a team not operating at full force who looked like they had only been practicing for two or three weeks. I think this is a wake up call that we need. We know we are better than this. We know Porter is a million times better than he was today.

Can’t look at what just happened as how we are going to play the entire season. Are we going to turn it around in time for UVA? I am not sure. But it will be a better product than we saw today and i believe it will be a much closer game. It’s not a fundamental lack of talent issue as it is with football bball Hopkins, etc. We have the crazy talent and we are clearly better than what just happened.

Things don’t get picked apart around here. They get thrown in the dumpster and set ablaze when the shine wears off. This forum lacks any sense of composure. If Cuse gets housed by Utah in Week 12 or whatever it is, then, sure, I’m with you. But give them a minute.
preview.jpg

We’ll have a better idea next week. If Virginia wins convincingly, we’ve got some major problems.

We beat this same team with more offensive weapons last year and held them to 7 goals with the exact same guys we trotted out today, besides new lsms. This is not the D playing to its full potential. It’s one game and we saw a team not operating at full force who looked like they had only been practicing for two or three weeks. I think this is a wake up call that we need. We know we are better than this. We know Porter is a million times better than he was today.

Can’t look at what just happened as how we are going to play the entire season. Are we going to turn it around in time for UVA? I am not sure. But it will be a better product than we saw today and i believe it will be a much closer game. It’s not a fundamental lack of talent issue as it is with football bball Hopkins, etc. We have the crazy talent and we are clearly better than what just happened.
Bingo. Play this defense next week and we‘re 0-2.

What's weird to me is that the 'Cuse women's lax team was the last team to start practicing out of any spring sport, yet they trounced over #5 Loyola on the road yesterday 18-6. Completely dominated from start to finish. I expected this game to be a close one-- not one where we got absolutely torched out of the building. I cant get over how bad that defense was and Drake played awful. Really hope they got that out of their system and turn this around fast for UVA or I'm afraid this is going to be all of us next week lol
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 3.07.33 PM.png

IMG_1908.JPG

Thankfully I got all the obscenities out verbally during the course of the game after a half hour of deep breathing here are my immediate thoughts:

• If there were ever a game to jump on the #FireDesko wagon, this felt like it. I'm not there but I think even the most optimistic Desko apologist would have trouble justifying how a team this talented could drop a game like that. Can’t remember a more embarrassing, one-sided outcome in recent memory (Sure, Colgate ‘19 and ND in the Dome 5-6 years ago were up there). We all knew this was a tough opener for a million reasons and I would not have been at all surprised with a close loss, but wow just totally unprepared and out-executed in all phases. Great teams come out and take care of business, what we saw was the furthest thing from it.
  • Turnovers - Official stats show 12, did it feel like they had more than that in the first quarter or so even when the offense was clicking during that stretch? Offense just felt really tight from the beginning, and that combined with some strong ball pressure from Army D was a recipe for disaster.
  • Groundballs - Again felt like they were dominated but the official stats show SU 33-26 edge. However, I'm guessing a lot of those were from putting the ball on the turf. Every 50/50 ball or urgent GB seemed like it went to Army.
  • Clearing/Riding - Alberici must've had them practicing the clears from the minute they got off the bus last weekend from CVille. They looked crisp, and SU was over-aggressive there and clearly did not get the hint to switch things up. On the flip side, I was impressed by the Army ride as it seemed like even without getting a ton of TOs they made it difficult for SU all day.
  • Offensive Finishing - Had to be at least 4-5 pipes and at least a half-dozen almost guaranteed goals on the doorstep that were either poorly placed, hit a foot, or the keeper made an absurd save. I'm really rooting for Cook but I can't take many more of these whiffs at the doorstep.
  • Offense in General - 2nd year of Attack disappearing against Army. Iso-heavy, uninspired for long stretches. Outside of that odd first goal by Scanlan he had a terrible game all around. Rehfuss was active but minimal impact. Cook as mentioned above may not be long for that starting group, unfortunately. Outside of Dordevic, it was clear that the first mids didn't contribute as needed. 2nd mids had that 4 man rotation going, but I think at this point I've seen enough of Quinn getting significant minutes. Buttermore had a nice rip. Little else.
  • Defense - Welp. Not much to say here. Traditionally it seems like SU defense starts out the year sloppy and builds up over time, but there's clearly more going on here. Porter wasn't great but Army was just sniping. Off-ball a mess, and what I noticed repeatedly was very early 1st slides that didn't look necessary, and often got us in trouble with slide matchups (like Oladunmoye on Nichtern multiple times) that ended...poorly.
Going forward, major, major issues to address. Sometimes you need this sort of game. I'm optimistic they can turn things around given the amount of talent on this squad but it's put up or shut up time. You don't fix that D quick and the Hoos could put up 50 next week.

Thankfully I got all the obscenities out verbally during the course of the game after a half hour of deep breathing here are my immediate thoughts:

• If there were ever a game to jump on the #FireDesko wagon, this felt like it. I'm not there but I think even the most optimistic Desko apologist would have trouble justifying how a team this talented could drop a game like that. Can’t remember a more embarrassing, one-sided outcome in recent memory (Sure, Colgate ‘19 and ND in the Dome 5-6 years ago were up there). We all knew this was a tough opener for a million reasons and I would not have been at all surprised with a close loss, but wow just totally unprepared and out-executed in all phases. Great teams come out and take care of business, what we saw was the furthest thing from it.
  • Turnovers - Official stats show 12, did it feel like they had more than that in the first quarter or so even when the offense was clicking during that stretch? Offense just felt really tight from the beginning, and that combined with some strong ball pressure from Army D was a recipe for disaster.
  • Groundballs - Again felt like they were dominated but the official stats show SU 33-26 edge. However, I'm guessing a lot of those were from putting the ball on the turf. Every 50/50 ball or urgent GB seemed like it went to Army.
  • Clearing/Riding - Alberici must've had them practicing the clears from the minute they got off the bus last weekend from CVille. They looked crisp, and SU was over-aggressive there and clearly did not get the hint to switch things up. On the flip side, I was impressed by the Army ride as it seemed like even without getting a ton of TOs they made it difficult for SU all day.
  • Offensive Finishing - Had to be at least 4-5 pipes and at least a half-dozen almost guaranteed goals on the doorstep that were either poorly placed, hit a foot, or the keeper made an absurd save. I'm really rooting for Cook but I can't take many more of these whiffs at the doorstep.
  • Offense in General - 2nd year of Attack disappearing against Army. Iso-heavy, uninspired for long stretches. Outside of that odd first goal by Scanlan he had a terrible game all around. Rehfuss was active but minimal impact. Cook as mentioned above may not be long for that starting group, unfortunately. Outside of Dordevic, it was clear that the first mids didn't contribute as needed. 2nd mids had that 4 man rotation going, but I think at this point I've seen enough of Quinn getting significant minutes. Buttermore had a nice rip. Little else.
  • Defense - Welp. Not much to say here. Traditionally it seems like SU defense starts out the year sloppy and builds up over time, but there's clearly more going on here. Porter wasn't great but Army was just sniping. Off-ball a mess, and what I noticed repeatedly was very early 1st slides that didn't look necessary, and often got us in trouble with slide matchups (like Oladunmoye on Nichtern multiple times) that ended...poorly.
Going forward, major, major issues to address. Sometimes you need this sort of game. I'm optimistic they can turn things around given the amount of talent on this squad but it's put up or shut up time. You don't fix that D quick and the Hoos could put up 50 next week.
Team is talented. Army had a major head start. We will be fine.

Nice post, but disappointed there’s a fire Desko reference in there. We’ve heard it a million times and it’s not happening, especially after the first game of the season.

Lost power for the second half (but from the sounds of it, might have been for the best). Understand Cuse got blown out today, but every two or three years they lose these regular season games no one expects them too. It’s really frustrating, but they seem to bounce back and don’t let it define their seasons. Hopefully it’s a learning experience and the team will grow from it.

Gut check time for sure. Lots of guys put their lives on hold for a year to come back and play, I’m sure they didn’t come back to put up these types of performances. Time for leaders to speak up and make an impact. Not sure they will get a win next week against a really good UVA team, but the season is not lost. Gotta step it up for sure, but would be very wary of anyone writing these guys off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom